Scholarly history of Civil War vs. popular "history" of Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarly history of Civil War vs. popular "history" of Civil War

MANASSAS, Va. – When National Park Service rangers fired a New Year's cannon shot at this Civil War battleground to hail the arrival of 2011, they also ushered in the start of a four-year commemoration of the war's 150th anniversary.

The events include a multitude of battle re-enactments, lecture series, readings, concerts and plays that will be held on the battle fields tended to by the Park Service and in private estates from the shores of the Gulf of Mexico to New York.

But the slate of commemorations is also fraught with political peril. Deep divisions over why the war was fought persist, especially in the South. The debate still roils over slavery's role as the principle cause of the war. The first commemoration, a private "secession gala" organized by the Sons of Confederate Veterans in Charleston on Dec. 20, did not signal an auspicious start to the upcoming calendar of events.
    Civil War
    National Park Service Photo
    Robert Sutton, a historian of the National Park Service seen here at the battleground in Manassas, Va., continues to see the states-rights-versus-slavery debate rage as the nation begins a four-year commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.

The date marked the 150th anniversary of the day South Carolina became the first of 11 states to secede. Inside the ballroom, elected officials and others in period costume celebrated the courage of their fore-bearers to stand up for their state's right to leave the Union. Outside, on the sidewalk, the NAACP led 100 demonstrators who viewed the event as a celebration of a treasonous act against the federal government in order to protect the institution of slavery.

"They called their parents patriots," said Lonnie Randolph, president of the state branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "Was Timothy McVeigh a patriot? He disagreed with America."

Mark Simpson, the commander of South Carolina's division of Sons of Confederate Veterans, defended the gala, saying it was not about denying slavery as "an issue" in the war, but honoring South Carolina's rights.

"We recognize and stated in all the media interviews that slavery was an issue in the war," Simpson said. "But this would be like taking a book that has 10 or 15 chapters and tearing all the chapters out except one. While slavery was an issue, it was by no means what brought about the war."
    Related Stories

* Calender of Civil War Commemorative Events in 2011

Robert Sutton, the Park Service historian, just sighs. He watched the states' rights-versus-slavery debate rage in the dozen years he spent as superintendent of the Manassas National Battlefield Park. He doesn't see any sign that anyone's going to change their mind.

"One hundred and fifty years later, it is hard to come to grips with the fact that we had four million people enslaved," he said. "They have a difficult time accepting that their ancestors were fighting to protect the institution of slavery. Yes, there were social factors. Yes, there were economic factors. Yes, there were political factors. But when you boil it all down, slavery was the major factor."

Most of the events scheduled for the next four years are educational, such as the roster of historians who will speak in July at a ceremony in Manassas, scene of the first big battle of the war. Or, the event in Washington in September, where volunteers will gather with candles to represent the forts set up to protect the Washington Monument.
    Battle of Manassas
    Hulton Archive / Getty Images
    The Yankees and Confederates clash at the First Battle of Manassas on July 21, 1861, during the American Civil War.

Some states are looking to attract tourists instead of controversy. Virginia, where 60 percent of the civil war battles were fought, is busy promoting "civil war history hotel packages" in hopes of making up for drop in tourism dollars during the recession. (Although Virginia Gov. Bob McConnell found himself in hot water last spring after he issued a proclamation designating April as Confederate History Month that did not mention slavery. He rewrote it, both condemning slavery and spelling out that it had prompted the war.)

But two developments could give the commemoration a bumpy roll out. One, the 150th anniversary approached as the tea party movement drove the recent elections, and states' rights gained new luster.

"Look at the way the elections have just gone," said Simpson. "There were two dozen states that passed sovereignty resolutions. South Carolina passed it, and it stems from an unconstitutional mandate from Congress over the health care bill. There's been a lot of change. I'm not a secessionist, but I'm asking a question: What does it mean? It means something."

The other factor that may affect the remembrances is that for the first time, African Americans are involved with a major Civil War anniversary on more equal footing. The centennial of the Civil War in 1961 occurred as the civil rights movement gained momentum. But segregation still dominated the South. Many events – including the 1961 secessionist gala – were held in segregated hotels, where blacks were not allowed to stay.

"At the 100th, the African Americans who did come were not allowed to participate," Randolph said.

Elsewhere, NAACP leaders also have expressed unhappiness with other upcoming events they say would glorify the Confederacy and all that it stood for. That includes plans by a private group in Montgomery, Ala. to stage a mock swearing in ceremony of Jefferson Davis as president of the Confederacy.

"From a free speech point of view, I understand their right to put that on," said Benard Simelton, president of the Alabama NAACP. "But the only thing it's going to do is incite divisiveness among people and there are much better things to spend money on than to re-enact the Civil War."

Even the Park Service may find itself targeted over its plan to commemorate the first shot fired in the war on April 12, 1861 at Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor. Randolph said he plans to contact Interior Department Secretary Ken Salazar over plans for a ceremony in which a lone blank mortar round will be fired at the fort on April 12.

"It recreates a terrorist act," Randolph said. "I can't imagine the Park Service being involved in that."

That event, said the Fort Sumter National Monument historian Rick Hatcher, also involves a dramatic star burst propelled into the sky that splits in two, symbolizing the nation divided.

Bob Reynolds, a Park Service spokesman said he will reserve comment until after Randolph's complaint is received.

For most historians, the question of what caused the war was settled long ago. The United States had the largest slave population in the world. By 1860, 60 percent of South Carolina's population were slaves.

"Historians don't fight this battle anymore about what caused the war. It's slavery," said James Marten, president of the Society of Civil War Historians and chairman of the history department at Marquette University in Wisconsin.

"The constitutional issues would not have caused the Civil War unless slavery had been attached to those debates," he continued. "It was an extraordinarily important institution economically, historically, and politically. Without slavery, you wouldn't have had a civil war. Maybe we've done a bad job of communicating this."
    Sponsored Links

Marten sees the 150th anniversary as a teaching moment, but laments he sees "no grand narrative" about the war and its legacy that's been drawn up a national scale.

"It's become so localized and so politicized. Given whom the president is, and what just happened in the election, with the tea party and the debate over health care, I don't think much will change in how we understand the Civil War as a country," he said. "That's the nature of popular history and memory versus history. Memory is something that is really hard to change."
    150 years later . . . .
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

The debate still roils over slavery's role as the principle cause of the war.

No it doesn't.

Comment

Dude, Cromwell lost the civil war centuries ago. Let it go.
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post

No it doesn't.
        You know, we had a lengthy debate here with Sloww about the importance of slavery for the war. He doesn't think it was a principle cause. He is also a Southerner.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Dad gummit, I don't believe this hooey! Y'all mean that folks don't like like it when you tell them that their government, which they feel loyal to, used to be evil and then they make excuses? Well golly, I never woulda guessed that.

Okay, my horrible southerner caricature aside, I find it unsurprising that people make excuses for their home state. It doesn't mean they think the south should have won or that slavery was good or that they are racist. It just means they're intellectually dishonest, which is not a terribly serious crime even if it is politically insensitive.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Don't try to whitewash intellectual dishonesty.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post

No it doesn't.
              You're just joking, right?

There is no such debates among historians, yes, but in general society, it is still alive and well.

Comment

I don't know about you but I still get a little hard when I think about Sherman's March
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What, the mainstream point of view is that the war was fought over slavery? That's like saying we fought Georgia over SO's right to secede.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Yes because NO doesn't get that right.
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
                      Dude, Cromwell lost the civil war centuries ago. Let it go.
                      A product of the excellent Canadian education system
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I thought Cromwell won anyway? Wasn't the king depoused and the Protectorate established? Cromwell died of natural causes and only then was the monarchy restored. Right?

I guess he lost in the long-term but he won during his life and the long-term effects of England being a parliamentary system and mostly Protestant would indicate that he won in the long-term.

Comment

Cromwell never lost a battle. Fear of Cromwell's military prowess throughout Europe propelled England from a small european power to virtual dominance.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                            You're just joking, right?

There is no such debates among historians, yes, but in general society, it is still alive and well.
                            This proves you are are the worst student of history of all time. Academia is full of people who still argue about this amoungst each other.

I would hope you were introduced historiography in your studies, even if it appears you were not.
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Hell, no. He just listened to some hunky Yankee that said Lincoln was a god and all the South had slaves, and that was all it took. The rest of his time was spent controlling his drool.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X