No announcement yet.

The Big Chill: world record hockey crowd at Michigan State-Michigan game today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Chill: world record hockey crowd at Michigan State-Michigan game today

Over 100,000 hockey fans are in Ann Arbor today, enjoying the rivalry between the Spartans and the Wolverines, taking place today at Michigan stadium.

Michigan up 1-0 midway through the first period. You can watch it on the Big Ten Network, if you get that channel.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

are they playing hockey or swimming right now? The temperature is above freezing right now in Ann Arbor. I hope the game finishes before it starts raining tonight

Comment

The ice is fine at 34 degrees. Or was, rather; game's over, Michigan won 5-0 in front of over 113,000 fans, shattering the old record.

Comment

Hail to the Victors!

113,411 to be exact.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Comment

113K? Did they fit two to a seat?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                113K? Did they fit two to a seat?
                Not really. Listed capacity of Michigan Stadium is 109,901.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

It did break the all-time stadium record as well, outdrawing their best football game by a few hundred.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
                    Not really. Listed capacity of Michigan Stadium is 109,901.

Are the seats made for anorexics?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                      It did break the all-time stadium record as well, outdrawing their best football game by a few hundred.

That is interesting.

How would that come about? I'd hazard a guess that it is not because hockey is about to eclipse football as America's sport in that area.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Are the seats made for anorexics?
                        Most of the seating is actually benches. And since the whole field wasn't being used, there was more room for non-spectators?

That is interesting.

How would that come about? I'd hazard a guess that it is not because hockey is about to eclipse football as America's sport in that area.
                        The previous record of 113,090 was set in the first game of this season against Connecticut. If U-M's defense wasn't so horrifically awful, there might have been a better turnout for other games.

The Big Chill was against our in-state rival Michigan State, plus it was an event - including the opportunity to have the largest crowd to see an outdoor hockey game.

Comment

According to AnnArbor.com, the Guinness World Record count will be lower.

Michigan’s announced total at the Big Chill at the Big House was 113,411. That's still unofficial according to Guinness World Records standards. But when the organization announces the official number in the future, it’ll still smash the previous record of 77,803 set in May at Veletnis Stadium in Germany.

It also set a record for the biggest crowd to witness a sporting event inside the 83-year-old Big House.

The reason for the discrepancy comes because of Guinness counts differently than Michigan counts. The school counts players, media and others at the game to work. Guinness doesn’t count any of those people.

"It's a combination of scans with the barcodes on tickets," Janela said, explaining how Guinness reaches its number. "It's not for tickets sold but for people who actually show up. People who weren’t ticketed, marching band for instance, or people who were given special passes."

Media and players, he said, do not count in the numbers because they are not actually spectators of the game.

Comment

That is interesting.

While true, it's not nearly as far-fetched as you might think. Granted, my time in Ann Arbor is rapidly vanishing in the distance, but when I lived there, hockey was the clear #2 most popular sport, easily ahead of basketball and baseball.

Michigan, in general, is crazy about hockey; it's practically Lesser Ontario in that respect.

Comment

That is interesting.

It's because they can fit more seats in the stadium for hockey games.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X