Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where should I apply to grad school (MS in CS) with this profile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I apply to grad school (MS in CS) with this profile?

Finally applying this year. Couldn't do so last year due to a number of reasons, some person, some beyond my control.

I completed my undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering this year in June, and have been working full-time since July.

I'll be applying to a number of universities in the USA for an MS in CS, but I don't have any idea, being in India, of which places I should target given my profile. So I've come here asking for help, knowing that quite a few here have a good idea of what's going on in the academic scene.

The profile:

1) Academic Record: ~58% aggregate over 4 years. (I aced the practicals, the 'oral' examinations, and the internal evaluations, but I lost out in the written examinations due to my almost illegible handwriting. So the former three have an aggregate of ~90%, and the latter of ~50%, odd thought it may seem.) I don't really know how to convert this into a GPA, but a rough estimate would be a B+ average, consisting of A+ in the practicals, oral examinations, and internal evaluations, but B in the written examinations due to my handwriting.

2) GRE: 800/800/5.5

3) Subject GRE in Comp. Sci.: 850/900 (93rd percentile)

3b) This may not be relevant, but I had taken the GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) this year, and an currently ranked 159th in the country (99.85th percentile overall among all exam-takers). This exam is conducted to serve as a basis for admission into Master's programs in engineering in India, but I had taken it merely to see where I stood in the competitive rankings. To be honest, I was a little surprised by the result - I had thought the competition would be tougher.
    (In case you're wondering about the disparity between the percentile here and in the Subject GRE, that can probably be explained by the fact that I took it in a city ~500KM away from Pune when I had a mild fever and a cold, had gone there with effectively no preparation, had flown in a day before and gotten little sleep due to my cough, and had a university exam the day after that, for which I had to fly back to Pune a few hours after I finished the test.)

4) Final-year project: worked with the C-DAC (India's supercomputing centre) to develop an addition to their scheduling and resource management system. It's a bit of an involved project, so I'll provide the details later if required.

5) Miscellaneous: In the third year, I've given a seminar on evolutionary computation, and in the two semesters of that year, implemented two projects. The first was relatively small, and was a database (with a crude GUI) designed to allow easy extraction and analysis of both historic and current statistical data relating to the Indian Premier League's cricket games. The other was a complete system to allow our (or any) college to organise their annual event; this was a pretty significant one.

6) Current work: right now, as a hobby, I'm just finishing up a small simulator for the theoretical constructs found in introductory courses on the theory of computation (DFAs, NFAs, PDAs, NPDAs, and TMs). I had noticed back when I studied the subject (and now that I see others study it) that the biggest hurdle to an intuitive understanding is the initial learning curve of knowing how to convert a mathematical abstraction - which is essentially a static one, consisting of a bunch of sets and a function - into a working mental model of a machine. The most difficult part of learning that subject is learning how to transition from static description to being able to run a visualisation of it in your head. This is something I've always thought would have been useful to me at that time, so I plan to finish it (and distribute it those of my juniors I know) in a week, so that it is usable before our University examinations in December. (Batteries - the most common examples used to teach ToC - included.)

This is in addition to my regular job, where I'm working on creating a custom Linux-PAM module for our customer's product.

7) Letters of Recommendation: These I can get from my teachers and project guides; they know me well enough to pass informed judgment.

Given this background, which universities would be appropriate for me to apply to? Any help would be highly appreciated, as right now I'm simply shooting in the dark.
    Last edited by aneeshm; November 1, 2010, 18:28.

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post
    So I've come to CFC asking for help, knowing that quite a few here have a good idea of what's going on in the academic scene.
    Really?

Diligence is something you are clearly lacking.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I thought you were studying philosophy?

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'd say you might be able to get into Temple. Might.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          Really?

Diligence is something you are clearly lacking.

Meh. I regularly cross-post threads on both forums. Sometimes these little things slip through.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            I thought you were studying philosophy?

JM
            ???

What happened to lead you to think that?

Comment

Your utter lack of intelligence, creativity and rationality
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                Your utter lack of intelligence, creativity and rationality
                Any constructive suggestions?

Comment

1) Apply to schools with ongoing research that interests you.

2) Alternatively, apply to schools with ongoing research that is likely to lead to lucrative employment in industry.

As a currently unemployed cellular microbiologist who followed 1) for twenty years, I suggest you follow 2).
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Yes.

"Why did you apply here?"
                    "Because I thought I might get in!"

Is not a good enough reason.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

But it's true.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You should apply to some school in India.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

They all rejected him.
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Devry might take him.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                              Yes.

"Why did you apply here?"
                              "Because I thought I might get in!"

Is not a good enough reason.
                              The reason I'm going for a MS degree isn't that I think I'll get in. There are two reasons - one is that I there are two areas of computer science I want to learn more about, both out of interest and to increase my potential future income. The second is that I want to learn how serious research is conducted, because I've not yet decided whether I want to continue my education and go on to get a Ph.D., or whether I want the Masters to be my terminal degree.

Given this, I came asking for advice. Though looking at the websites of the relevant universities and trawling Google's results for relevant information provides a rough idea of what I want to know, it's still not enough to make an informed choice, which is why I value the opinions of people who have first-hand experience university life and culture in the USA.

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              You should apply to some school in India.
                              I could, as I mentioned, get in quite easily at some of the best schools here, but the quality of education of even such schools is far surpassed by that available from comparable institutions in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X