New Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Vegas

Anybody else get this yet? Hardcore is a great improvement, it really ratchets up the tension. Obsidian knows how to tweak a great game and make it even better. Let's just hope they finished this one.

Smoke weed everyday, folks.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Had a couple of CTD so far, but I had the same problem with Fallout 3, and with the autosave every time you go into a building it's not a big deal.

Man, this Caesar's Legion **** is ****ing dark.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I've been luckily avoiding crashes so far. And the Legion is definitely grimmer than most.

Comment

Got a couple buddies, the eyebot and the sniper. Taking a break for now, I forgot how much that game can jangle your nerves.

Comment

So is New Vegas as terrible as Fallout 3 was?
          Please put Asher on your ignore list.
          Please do not quote Asher.
          He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
            Got a couple buddies, the eyebot and the sniper. Taking a break for now, I forgot how much that game can jangle your nerves.
            Same guys I'm using so far; seems to be the first two you'll run across in the main storyline.

The sniper guy ****ing owns. Probably too powerful. He hasn't come close to getting killed yet. The quest where you obtain him... that was a cool, shocking moment.

I'm enjoying it very much so far. Haven't made it to The Strip yet, but I am in the city...

Comment

Originally posted by bc1871 View Post
              So is New Vegas as terrible as Fallout 3 was?
              Yes, you'd absolutely hate it. You should probably go jerk off into some maple leafs.

Comment

So is this just FO3 with more content, or is there something else?

I'm on the fence. I really enjoyed FO3, but I'm not sure I want to play with that engine anymore just for some new content.
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

It's a new setting, so there's a whole new map to explore. There is a bit more complexity with the reputation system supplementing the karma system (you get a local reputation just like in FO2). There's a hardcore mode, which forces you to keep track of food, water, sleep, ammunition weight, and a few other details. There are also a few tweaks to balance that I liked:
                  • Attributes are more balanced in their usefulness, so that Intelligence is no longer the only thing that matters.
                  • VATS is no longer instantaneous. If you queue up a bunch of attacks, enemies can now interrupt you in the middle of them.
                  • Skill challenges come up more frequently outside of combat, and are transparent. The game tells you that you need a certain score in a certain skill for an option in conversation to open up.
                  • Not so much balance, but in terms of realism the ammo system has been made a lot cooler and realistic. Hollow point and armor piercing ammo is back, along with an armor system that accounts for them. They even allow you to fire .223 out of a 5.56, but not the other way around.

It's not a completely new game, and most of it could be modded into FO3, but it's definitely worth getting if you enjoyed the last game. Since my PC is a clunker, I'm actually happy that it doesn't make big changes to the engine. If I weren't such a huge fanboy, I'd probably resent paying full price for it. So if you were unimpressed by the last game you should probably wait for the price to come down to the $20 range, or for a Gold edition with all the inevitable DLC bundled.

Comment

The sniper is insanely deadly. I ran short on food, so I went hunting with him, and he was murdering geckos left and right. He's a huge asset, since he draws a little fire, doesn't use ammo, and kills everything he sees.

Wandering the wastes with him at your side is a lot easier than it was at the start. He's not as badass as Fawkes was, but he's pretty close.

Comment

Damn, this game is glitchy as FO3 with 25 mods. I keep getting CTDs. Also, is there a spolier tag?
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I've had three CTD in many hours of play, which is about on par with FO3.

Comment

I've had three CTD over about 20 hours, so I'm getting lucky. Spoiler tag is just spoiler in the square brackets, right?

Spoiler:
                          yep

Comment

I usually do not avoid slavers in my Fallout games, but man... I wonder what the devs can offer to make someone want to join the Legion.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I found what must be an Archer reference.

Spoiler:

A sexbot named Fisto.

And the best part, is that he's learning.

Comment

Working...
                              X