No announcement yet.

How well is Civ 5 selling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was trying to find similar numbers for the launch of Civ IV, and couldn't... but I didn't really look all that hard.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well done, Ming.

The biggest factor in going with Steam, beyond stopping PRE-release pirating, is that brick and mortar retail outlets charge a ton of money for shelf space. With Steam, there is no shelf, no charging for physical space. Thus, the cut back to the developer/publisher is much higher. On top of that, in theory, is also a better tool set for community, achievements, MP, mods, patches and so forth.

There is also another benefit in allowing a test community access to builds without fear of those builds leaking to the public.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

well until 2008 Civ IV apparently sold 3 mil copies... so if Civ V continues to sell 20 k a week average going forward it will get there in three years... so probably worse sales for Civ V as it already dropped to 30k a week in first month...
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Sources are required, otherwise comparisons drawn are hyperbole. Civ IV also had multiple expansions and compiled editions.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
            well until 2008 Civ IV apparently sold 3 mil copies... so if Civ V continues to sell 20 k a week average going forward it will get there in three years... so probably worse sales for Civ V as it already dropped to 30k a week in first month...
            I am not sure about that, the overall figure for IV certainly includes expansion packs. I have never seen anything precise about IV figures.

Comment

I am sure it includes x pacs and other types of IV being sold... still V will have to average about 20k a week to get there, including those moments, and by the comments that we see in the community I think V will sell more live Civ Rev than Civ IV... as the same type of player will like V... did Civ Rev sell better than IV?
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

More than 5 million copies of the Civilization series have been sold, according to Firaxis executives.
                http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2005/11/14/daily33.html

This quote relates to the sales of Civ 1 through 3, around Nov 15 2005.

However, on the Civ4.com website Firaxis note they sold 6 million copies so far (Civ1-3). The same goes for a press release.
                http://www.civ4.com/
                http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/pressrelease_02.htm

Early Nov 2005 Civ4 was #1 sales, and the special edition was #10. I don't remember what the special edition was.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/667/667212p1.html

March 2005 Civ 4 had sold over a million units
                http://www.neoseeker.com/news/5487-2k-games-announces-sid-meiers-civilization-iv-warlords/

With over 1.5 million world wide sales to date
                http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:c3To3Dc80VAJ:www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3439123/Sid-Meier-Civilization-IV-Complete-Edition/Product.html+%22civilization+IV%22+sales+figures&cd=6&hl=es&ct=clnk&gl=es

The 1.5M figure relates to the state before Beyond the Sword.

Comment

I have checked Civ Rev, and to date it has sold about 1.5 million, which is quite good... so it did not sell better than IV, but it sold quite well regardless...

Comment

Imagine that, for such a bland product. It must be the console generation's merit.

Following up on my numbers, it seems each Civ sells around 2 Million units across its lifecycle.

There's a new fountain of income now, with the DLC structure.

Is it becoming clear to everybody why Steam was chosen?
                    1) Makes piracy slightly more difficult (hurray for Firaxis!)
                    2) Easy distribution of patches (hurray for customers!)
                    3) Marketing platform for DLC's (hurray for Firaxis!)

This game will not sell the most copies ever, but it will have the largest profit.

Comment

very likely, and for new players Civ V will be good enough, as they have no expectations, they will be likely to buy DLC's etc... I guess Firaxis is changing the demographics with this release, and it remains to be seen how it plays out... for the time being the population which gets to forums is mostly unhappy ~ 70% or so at Civ Fanatics, who have the largest fanbase posting there... but the target demographic probably does not even go to the forums much...

Comment

don't be so sure. Most recent poll I saw showed about 60% positive.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanw1995 View Post
                          don't be so sure. Most recent poll I saw showed about 60% positive.
                          Robert, could you program an IP-check for new users, to see if they originate in China?

Comment

huh? I'm in TX. I have a buddy who visited china once, however. does that count?

btw, here is the poll I was talking about. simple "do you like civ 5" poll: 59.25% yes out of ~ 600 votes. And that is with tons of negative info/complaints about it all over the forums.

Those who are disappointed are just extremely vocal about it. If you want civ 4.5 then play rom/and, I haven't played it yet but from talking to the creator it looks to be pretty awesome.

of course, that doesn't mean that ciV hasn't been a disappointment for many players. 43% list it the most disappointing civ ever here.
                            Last edited by bryanw1995; November 3, 2010, 17:33.

Comment

oh sorry, i thought you were one of those spambots

Comment

ok.

another interesting poll, this one shows 43% think ciV is the worst of the series (with Rev getting lots of votes as well), while 27% think ciV is the best. lol.

Lets settle the Great Debate. So, lots of you hate Civ V, and some of them didn't like civ IV either. Now that we've all played V, (well MOST of us...) which Civ is best? I vote III.

I voted for civ 2 as best and civ rev as worst btw.

Comment

Working...
                                X