Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember that big stink caused by ignoramuses about "niggardly"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember that big stink caused by ignoramuses about "niggardly"?

I can't figure out why there's never been an uproar about "denigrate"; at least that word shares common origins...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Isn't niggardly a slur against Jewish black people?
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I'd never give the time of day to a niggard jew.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

OMG you used both niggardly and denigrate! I'm telling!
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"Denigrate" has only half of the n-word in it, and it's an unstressed syllable. Only a very creative stupid person could hear it as a slur.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

**** all ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              "Denigrate" has only half of the n-word in it, and it's an unstressed syllable. Only a very creative stupid person could hear it as a slur.
              Or a smart person who knows that both words come from the Latin for "black"...
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

But such a smart person would unfailingly know the meanings of both word and understand that they have little in common. Certainly in modern use nobody would interpret it to mean "to compare someone to an inferior dark person." Geez, the way you'd talk you'd think some sort of logic was at work in these PC panics...
                1011 1100

Comment

While we're talking about ****wittery, today I learned of the existence of something called "iridology." As Wiki puts it: "Iridology (also known as iridodiagnosis) is an alternative medicine technique whose proponents believe that patterns, colors, and other characteristics of the iris can be examined to determine information about a patient's systemic health. Practitioners match their observations to iris charts, which divide the iris into zones that correspond to specific parts of the human body. Iridologists see the eyes as "windows" into the body's state of health."

I'm not sure why some Federal agency isn't dropping the pain-hammer on these people. Maybe there are just too many scams to prosecute?
                  1011 1100

Comment

I've had my irises burned so that the government won't be able to track me.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Or a smart person who knows that both words come from the Latin for "black"...
                      Eh, smart persons knows that only denigrate come from latin for "black".
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You're an idiot. Any word which derives from a Romance Language word which is directly derived from Latin itself derives from Latin.

Edit: Or are you pointing out that "niggardly" does not? If so, then you are even more of an idiot, as that was the entire point of this thread.

Thanks for playing...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                          You're an idiot. Any word which derives from a Romance Language word which is directly derived from Latin itself derives from Latin.

Edit: Or are you pointing out that "niggardly" does not? If so, then you are even more of an idiot, as that was the entire point of this thread.

Thanks for playing...
                          Nice try and good for you that you managed to put in that "Edit" - that kind of mellowed the stupidity of the first part
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Maybe you should edit your post then.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Which retarded statement were you making, BC:

1) That "******" is not derived from the latin for "black" because it went by way of Spanish (or Portuguese; can't remember)

2) That "niggardly" is not derived from the latin for "black". Obviously true, and just as obviously revealing of your intellectual deficiencies, due to the fact that THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS PREMISED ON IT, THUS UNDERSTANDING "BOTH" TO MEAN "NIGGARDLY" AND "DENIGRATE" IS IDIOTIC

1 or 2? Pick one and defend it, you moron.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X