The new song covers thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new song covers thread

i know we had one of these less than a year ago, but i was incapacitated due to a...errr...a lung related illness and was unable to participate fully.

so, what are your favourite (or least favourite, if you prefer) song covers. my definition of covers is a little wider than others perhaps, so i would consider songs that reuse significant parts of others (e.g. they use a bass line or lead but play it themselves) as covers, but i think straight sampling is going too far.

post the cover and the original as well please, so that people can who've not heard both can compare and contrast.

i'll leave (most of) the classic rock covers to others and head straight for the weird and the wonderful. here's a nice 5 to start us off.

the dope smugglers covering malcolm mclaren

the dope smugglaz - double double dutch

malcolm mclearn - double ducth

the divine comedy covering noel coward

the divine comedy - i've been to a marvellous party

hmmm can't seem to find the original anywhere, i used to own it as well. bugger.

anna calvi covering frankie laine (although her version is far more similar to edith piaf's)

anna calvi - jezebel

frankie laine - jezebel

grace jones covering joy division

grace jones - she's lost control

joy division - she's lost control

the xx covering womack & womack

the xx - teardrops

womack & womack - teardrops
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Stranglers - Walk on By

Less of a cover - more of an upgrade.

Comment

No offence C0ckney, but that Grace Jones cover is a travesty.

Mettalica covering a classic old ANL tune

Original:

L7 Covers the Ramones:

Original:

As much as I love the Ramones, L7 does this one better.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

The original:

The Hall & Oates version:

Both are equally good if you ask me.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Heard it Through the Grapevine:

The original Smokey Robinson & The Miracles:

Gladys Knight worked it:

But the Marvin Gaye is the definitive version that everyone knows:
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

thoth, none taken. to each their own i guess, i love grace jones and her cackling 'i've lost control' brings cheer to my heart. it's not on the same level as the original of course, but frankly, what is?

here's another version of heard it through the grapevine by the slits.

the slits - i heard it through the grapevine

blondie covering the nerves

blondie - hanging on the telephone

the nerves - hanging on the telephone

katsen covering the cure.

katsen - play for today

the cure - play for today

dream a little dream of me has been done about a million times, the original is by ozzie nelson, but was more famously recorded by (among many others) louis armstrong and ella fitzgerald, frankie laine, bing crosby and of course, the mamas and the papas. my favourite is the slow doris day version done in the late 50s, and i'll also put up a much more recent take from chapel club.

doris day - dream a little dream of me

chapel club - surfacing

ozzie nelson - dream a little dream of me
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
              thoth, none taken. to each their own i guess, i love grace jones and her cackling 'i've lost control' brings cheer to my heart. it's not on the same level as the original of course, but frankly, what is?

here's another version of heard it through the grapevine by the slits.

the slits - i heard it through the grapevine
              Holy **** that was terrible. Now come on Cockney, NO ****ING WAY can you say that holds a candle to the other three versions

Comment

thought you'd enjoy that.

i like that version, obviously when you cover a song like that it's hard to be more soulful than marvin gaye, and so you have to take it in a different direction and put your own stamp on it, which i think the slits do very well there.

Comment

I never heard a woman's voice crack before... and that chick cracked like 20 times during that song. That was ****ing terrible. She couldn't hit her notes at ALL!

That is NOT music. That is a karaoke gone bad!

Comment

Wake Up Everybody!

Original by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes in 1975:

A bunch of people got together in 2004... Wyclef, Jadakiss, Missy Elliot, Jamie Foxx, Fabulous, Mary J Blige, Eve, Musiq, etc. and did a new take on it.

And the most recent that just came out... John Legend and The Roots plus Common and some chick (I don't know who she is) more in keeping with the classic original

I actually think the middle one was the best just because it took like every R&B artist and rapper out and they all worked together to make a song like on some USA for Africa stuff. Really cool. I don't really like the Missy Elliot part though.
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 1, 2010, 11:36.

Comment

Veronique Sanson - Amoureuse

Kiki Dee's English-language version:

Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

jack, cool prefer the original french version i must say.

a couple more: rinaldi sings covering tony christie

rinadli sings - avenues and alleyways

tony christie - avenues and alleyways

professor green using the drums and bass line from a flux of pink indians song

professor green - hard night out

flux of pink indians - tube disaster

fleetwood mac covering howlin' wolf (yes i know led zeppelin did of this as well but i prefer fleetwood mac's version)

fleetwood mac - no place to go

howlin' wolf - no place to go

Comment

I'm surprised no one came up with this one...

The original by NIN is effing beautiful...

But this is the ulimate version:

Damn you C0ckney, now I'll be spending Saturday night on Youtube, listening to Johnny Cash
                          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

Maybe a little unfair since they are so different, but :

Thin Lizzie

and yeah, IknowIknow - It's not "theirs" since it's atraditional, but they made it wider known - The Dubliners

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X