Civilzation 5 and Diplogaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilzation 5 and Diplogaming

So, how will Civilization 5 work with Diplogaming?
    Will it work? Maybe simultaneous sessions will work again! (not having connection issues anymore!)

Is civ5 diplogamable? Will we miss religion too much?
    Stacked combat will be interesting, especially on a pitboss level!
    City states may add another nice story element, or do we have to keep them out?

Other thoughts?
    Last edited by Robert; September 29, 2010, 09:29.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

wont start playing again until after last exam in early december, but after that... I'll be back!

we'll have to take a look at how the technical stuff sorts out, I noticed that if using directx 9 instead of 10/11 the game is much faster on my aging comp, so that would possibly make a simultaneous turns thing possible.

I will not miss religion too much.
    Stacked combat? you mean non-stacked combat? and yes, I am loving the strategic possibilities and the new combat system!
    city states should be in, but not too many, the default setting seems to be 2 CS per civ.
    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Few thoughts:
      -Sure we can play diplogames in civ5, I think civ4 is a better game, but for a change I'd like to try civ5
      -Because of the combat mechanism avoiding double moves will be even more important than it was in civ4-I can't even imagine how ppl playing simultaneous turns can have fair games in MP.
      -I don't really like the big differences between the civs, and some traits really "force" them on some paths. For example some civs can be a powerhouse building peacefully, but some civ only have bonus to combat and their only chance to take that path.

lets wait for pitboss so we can try it out.

Comment

I might also add that there will be less difference between players because there is much less micromanagement options in civ5 Currently there are some very powerful trick/way to play-some would call them exploit and most of it (hopefully) will be patched out, after that I think it will be about tactics on the battlefield

Comment

I think it'll be pretty awesome for diplogames. But I do think that waiting for Pitboss (it is coming, right?) is best. Plus we all need to get a feel for the game first. I haven't made it past the renaissance yet!
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'm looking forward to getting involved in one of these, if I understand the concept correctly.
            What's up, hot dog?

Comment

The concept is explained better in the civ4 MP forums, but we're always looking for new blood!

Comment

I haven't bought the thing yet but already I have concerns re MP.

The 1UPT system must make MP very hard indeed. I remember the old days of strategy figure and board games like Waterloo and Drang Nach Osten and there you were constantly rotating injured infantry from the front line and making sure the cavalry were ready on the flanks to clean up the enemy artillery. In DNO you had always to halt the panzers to allow the infantry to catch up and achieving the perfect pocket of destruction was very hard work.

CivV sounds very much to me like a straight wargame with production the premium. I will find out more tomorrow, if it will run on my machine, but it seems that it may be quite a few patches away from being able to support a Diplo.
                “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                - Anon

Comment

It is just like all the other civ games before it. No radical change to the balance of war and peace. I do think the 1UPT thing makes combat far more interesting than the stack of doom problems in the past. The game is fun, and war isn't more prominent, just more interesting.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I agree with Ozzy. I see some great possibilities for stories and long-term gaming.
                    Stories will be a lot more about happy citizen, amount of resources, we'll have more inter-continental wars (b/c of embarking), the social policies will make it much more empire building. (though I think that too many policies become available too late)

Comment

In current state though there are so many possible exploit in the gamre that we will need a long list of rules again (even longer we had before)
                      just few things:
                      since units usually don't die from combat it's very easy to farm xp and great general
                      research agreements also can be exploited by human players.
                      There are some overpowered abilities and units right now, those in the hand of a skilled player could break the game

But i can see a way that small empires could be more lively in civ5. I like that instant city raze is gone, I miss the civics they were better for civ because they could had been changed, I miss the variety of tile improvements, I miss the religion..etc etc.. the primary focus of Civ5 is combat, I can't predict how it will work in pvp (the ai quite miserable)

Comment

Only half way through my first game and I like it. I think that given PitBoss it would work as a Diplo but I am staggered to think how it can work on a timed turn MP game. BtS required manual dexterity way beyond my feeble abilities in Rah's games.

I do reckon religion is a loss and the civics are very confusing but they have done a good job of creating a totally new game.

BTW. What is all the nonsense about crashes and huge waits between turns? I only have a tri-core and 2Gb plus a, just over spec, video card. I have had no problems at all apart from that tedious video at the start.
                        “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                        - Anon

Comment

We've run into a variety of crashes in MP games and some lag at the start of the games, but I haven't heard any complaints (in that area) from SP players. I'm really impressed with V's SP stability, it's been clean since day 1. The only long wait times I've run into for turns is on a huge map with a full complement of AI and CS, and then only in the modern era. No real surprise there... I mean, we want a complicated game so it'll take a lot of computer resources to run it at the highest levels of complexity.
                          What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Hey guys, been thinking on a civ5 diplogame. Have a thread on it at civfanatics. Is there some interested players here?

Comment

Seems tricky to do without Pitboss and with all the connection issues with MP. I didn't realize anyone over at CFC played diplogames.

Also, if you want to get in on an ongoing Civ4 diplogame, India is in need of a new permanent player in Destiny of Empires. Info here: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/1...for-a-perm-sub!

Comment

Working...
                              X