Consolidated AI gripes here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidated AI gripes here

Robert started a couple of threads, I suggest they get pinned and later shipped to Firaxis. Here is the attempt at a similar thread dedicated to AI behavior that should be fixed. Please.
    - AI never storms the city. If you take out its archers, its melee units will just wait under the walls until they are killed.
    - AI spams similar units and does not maintain balance of units
    - AI has no concept of 'front' and 'formation'
    - workers and settlers unprotected
    - ranged units unprotected. they should try to get on the hills and be protected by melees
    - AI has no idea of flanking
    - builds zero ships
    - fails to get out of range of my naval units, so i pick his land units one by one
    - attempts landing with zero combat navy and gets slaughtered
    - sometimes forgets his embarked units in the middle of a small bay
    - AI cities do not bombard embarked arty units
    I am sure I left out a lot of things, especially in diplomacy.

Too easy to kill barbarians with ranged unit - they just sit there without attempt of counter-attack.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

AI does not move army to attack the larger threat.

in my game just now, arabia's massive army was attacking a city-state south. when i arrived to attack the capital in the north they just kept on attacking the city-state. obviously i added his capital to my empire and after this he offered every city he had left.

Comment

Sometimes it also splits its army...
        Alexander was at war with me and a lot of city states (he had attacked one too many, therefore he was declared to be the arch enemy of most of the city states on the continent)
        He would, however split huis forces between units that attacked his prime target that startet the war (a city state at the west coast), some units that harrassed me and a few units that tried to attack another city state at his eastern border (not a very coordinated attack...sometimes it would be just one attacking unit, that attacked said city state and would soon get slaughtered).
        In the end he accomplished nothing, neither did he conquer one of the 2 city states he targeted, nor was he very successful in delaying or hurting my attacking forces (but rather
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I had a protracted war where I was razing city after city. About thirty turns in, the AI I was attacking founded a new city in the area I had cleared. I razed that city, thirty turns later (same war, I'm still razing each city) he founds another city in the same area. Meanwhile he's only had one or two straggling military units come at me.

I'd like to see the AI decide enough is enough and stop incessant expanding, much like in IV. I think adding a significant unhappiness penalty would help here, whether to prevent defenseless civs being steamroller or to increase the value of peaceful resource trading.
          What's up, hot dog?

Comment

ai does not recognize that i am blocking their expansion with one fortified soldier on the isthmus. nor does it embark its settler to bypass this blockade, so i have enough time to bring my own settler into a perfect position. after 30 turns, it declares war and gets hammered. its melee units dance around the city while my fortified archer and city defenses kill them off one by one. the key is to target AI archers. once it is out of archers, it just shuffles units around. why doesn't it CHARGE?

Comment

The AI's tactics, in almost every area, are horrible. They place their ranged units on the front line, ignoring your melee units, and their melee units just sit around while your archers rain arrows down upon them, using their spearmen to futilely attack your longswordsmen, getting massacred, rather than killing the archer that is also withing their movement range. I can understand this on the lower levels, for all of the new players that have no tactical ability, themselves, but I want an AI that can beat me with needing to have four to six times as many units as me (I'm not exaggerating at all- I can massacre their forces with half the number of units that they have).

Comment

It ignores the citadel. Idiot, bring with you a zillion of ranged units and rain down hell first. DO NOT WALK straight into it and suffer casualties even without a fight.
                Also, in three games I saw a total of four naval AI units, barbarians excluded, although they are there just to target practice. I am playing Emperor and it sucks. In Civ4 Prince was something I would beat, but not always.

Comment

Working...
                X