Civ V needs 2x production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ V needs 2x production

The game actually feels a lot like Civ2. Problem is that right now it's running on 1x2x settings. I'm incredibly happy there isn't all kinds of algorithms and **** designed to make the guy behind catch up. The problem is right now everything is too slow and there's no options in the design to allow you to get out ahead fast. It's pretty much exactly like playing 1x1x on Deity only we have double moves now, which was a smooth move. I don't know how the combat is going to be since I refuse to play this thing MP until they add in 2X and fix all the issues with the game. There's not even a working chat room right now which is just amazing to me on so many levels and not in a good way. And no, the quick setting is not 2x.

The thing that Civ4 really lacked was that feeling of wanting to expand all over the map and control everything. Right now it's a god damn chore to find a place to build a city because I look all over the map and all I see is trash strewn with some useables. Civ2 had that "HOLY ****" feeling when you found a seal or a spice and silk in the same city radius! Now it's like, "Oh, some sheep on a hill and some wheat to go with it...I guess I'll use that." Nothing in this game makes me want to constantly explore new land to see what I can find. Nothing on the map stands out and gives you that "OMG" feeling. It's just boring as it is right now. I think they should even mod in some more resources as well. What happened to adding to a game instead of taking away?

I do like the double moves that is an improvement. Now just give me back my sliders and the option to trade maps.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
      The game actually feels a lot like Civ2. Problem is that right now it's running on 1x2x settings. I'm incredibly happy there isn't all kinds of algorithms and **** designed to make the guy behind catch up. The problem is right now everything is too slow and there's no options in the design to allow you to get out ahead fast. It's pretty much exactly like playing 1x1x on Deity only we have double moves now, which was a smooth move. I don't know how the combat is going to be since I refuse to play this thing MP until they add in 2X and fix all the issues with the game. There's not even a working chat room right now which is just amazing to me on so many levels and not in a good way. And no, the quick setting is not 2x.

The thing that Civ4 really lacked was that feeling of wanting to expand all over the map and control everything. Right now it's a god damn chore to find a place to build a city because I look all over the map and all I see is trash strewn with some useables. Civ2 had that "HOLY ****" feeling when you found a seal or a spice and silk in the same city radius! Now it's like, "Oh, some sheep on a hill and some wheat to go with it...I guess I'll use that." Nothing in this game makes me want to constantly explore new land to see what I can find. Nothing on the map stands out and gives you that "OMG" feeling. It's just boring as it is right now. I think they should even mod in some more resources as well. What happened to adding to a game instead of taking away?
      1) Happiness governs expansion. Resources that increase happiness are quite rare. There is absolutely "OMG got to have that spot" when you find some rare happiness resource on some yet non-occupied island.
      2) Strategic resources are very important too. And while horses are somewhat common, your are still hunting for them in the beginning of the game. Later comes other resources like iron and oil. Not very easy to get them unless you are lucky.

Also, if you play on higher difficulty setting, there are slightly less resources.

I think the problem is that graphically the happiness and strategic resources are not that distinguishable from simple resources like sheep. This is why you just see "trash strewn with some useables". But there are unsaleable, and there are USEABLES, and strategic and happiness resources are absolutely valuable and rare.
      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
      certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
      -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
        I do like the double moves that is an improvement. Now just give me back my sliders and the option to trade maps.
        You just want easy mode, do you?
        The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
        certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
        -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

I believe the whole concept of making everything take longer is so everything you do will be more meaningful. You should be building less buildings in your cities, so they should take longer or else you'll run out of stuff to build (or build yourself into bankruptcy).

Workers seem like they build slowly, but by the time I reach the medieval age I'm deleting workers left and right because every hex has been improved.

Science is a little slow... except when I won a space race victory in 2037 I had five future techs, so that turned out to be on time as well.

I'm playing on Epic speed this go round, I love the deliberate pace.
          What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
            I'm incredibly happy there isn't all kinds of algorithms and **** designed to make the guy behind catch up.
            Which Civ game had that and in what form?

Comment

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention I only care about MP. I don't give a **** about your SP circle jerk. I'm fully aware you want to spend 10 hours watching your empire grow and you really get off on seeing that happy resource. Sorry, in MP it takes more than that to get me going. So if you're an SP piece of ****, don't post. That will be all, go back to drooling over the pretty graphics and gushing over how amazing and complex the game is even though it only took away features without adding any in.

Comment

Civ4 had it. There was all kinds of **** designed to slow anyone down from getting ahead so you hit the ceiling really fast. Sorry, but getting 1 city faster than the other guy and then getting gang raped by all the systems they had in place to punish you for getting ahead wasn't fun and it didn't create a skill gap. They even made techs cheaper for people that hadn't researched it yet.

Comment

I just killed off eight workers in a MP game I played against Robert Plomp. I reached the Renaissance, all of my hexes were improved, and they were draining my treasury. So as each one became active, I deleted it so I could use the maintenance on a military unit.

I was pretty happy to discover that a winning strategy in SP can be applied as a winning strategy in MP as well.
                  What's up, hot dog?

Comment

The problem is that you beat Robert Plomp so you accomplished nothing.

Comment

I'm pdxsean on Steam as well. If you send me an invitation to join an mp game, I'll play. There's no need to be so hostile.
                      What's up, hot dog?

Comment

I refuse to play MP until changes are made. It's too slow and pointless. That's beside the ridiculous bugs and issues they have right now. The game is still in beta testing.

Comment

Yeah I kind of figured that would be the case.
                          What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Working...
                          X