Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DirectX options in Steam launch window???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX options in Steam launch window???

Hi, what is up with the multiple launch options in Steam and their effects on the game?

1) Play Sid Meiers's Civ V
    2) Sid Meiers Civ 5 (DirectX 9)

if I choose option 1 then another screen comes up and offers me (redundantly) to select to play using DirectX 9 OR DirectX 10 & 11 (RECOMMENDED).

If I choose "DirectX 10 & 11 (RECOMMENDED)" then it appears to me that the game does not display as well as it does on DirectX 9 (the water tyles for example are much better under DirectX 9.

Why the options? and why do at least some things appear better under 9?

DX11 is faster and better, as long as you have a decent PC.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
      DX11 is faster and better, as long as you have a decent PC.
      Nikolai, thanks. I will go with that. And I solved the issue of why things seemed to look better under Dictect X9. It turns out that if you set your Graphics Options (for water quality for example) after selecting the DirectX9 (option 2 above), and then later switch to launch the game using Option 1 and selecting 10 or 11, that the Graphics options choosen before are not retained (ie - I had default lower quality options set for me). You must RESET them for each version of DirectX that you might choose.

Comment

It sure would be nice if those options didn't pop up every time you started the game. I have directx 11 selected, does it really think I'm going to go back to 9 at some point? Something I hope they'll tweak in a patch.
        What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby007 View Post
          Hi, what is up with the multiple launch options in Steam and their effects on the game?

1) Play Sid Meiers's Civ V
          2) Sid Meiers Civ 5 (DirectX 9)

if I choose option 1 then another screen comes up and offers me (redundantly) to select to play using DirectX 9 OR DirectX 10 & 11 (RECOMMENDED).

If I choose "DirectX 10 & 11 (RECOMMENDED)" then it appears to me that the game does not display as well as it does on DirectX 9 (the water tyles for example are much better under DirectX 9.

Why the options? and why do at least some things appear better under 9?
          Yeah, Direct X 11 is much nicer but if you are near the minimum specs then you'll have to use direct X 9.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

How do you select DX 11 vs DX 10? I see no way of doing it in any option!
            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
            certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

MxM - you can't. The single option lists both.

Comment

Then how do people know that they are running DX11 and not DX10?
                -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

It's probably automatically using DX11 if you have a DX11 capable GPU.

Comment

Yep, there are optione in the graphics menu like "Tesselation", which are only part of DirectX 11,
                    so I assume, if you use a not DirectX 11 capable graphics card, these things will be greyed out and not selectable
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Does anyone remember if 260GTX is DX11 capable card?
                      -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                        Yep, there are optione in the graphics menu like "Tesselation", which are only part of DirectX 11,
                        so I assume, if you use a not DirectX 11 capable graphics card, these things will be greyed out and not selectable
                        By the way, I do not remember seeing Tesselation at all, grayed or not.
                        -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
                          By the way, I do not remember seeing Tesselation at all, grayed or not.
                          It only really shows up when your civ discovers bicycling. If you have DX11 the bikes all have little colorful tassles coming from the handles.
                          What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Originally posted by pdxsean View Post
                            It only really shows up when your civ discovers bicycling. If you have DX11 the bikes all have little colorful tassles coming from the handles.
                            yes and the bikes become lowriders... the option in the menu is "born to be wild" btw. fireworks in civ!

Comment

Originally posted by pdxsean View Post
                              Time to upgrade my bicycle to 460GTX
                              -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X