Civ V Walkthrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ V Walkthrough

Hi all! Feeling sorry for the fans outside North America who have to wait 'till friday, I've started a little game walkthrough to help you survive the wait. I started on a different forum but I'm here too so I figured I might as well.

But for the record, I certainly don't claim to be a great player. Just an addict.

I don't have screenshots yet but they'll be coming once I get home. I'm at school at the moment. But actually I haven't looked through the Steam directory much and I'm not entirely sure where I can find screens yet. Help would be appreciated.

Enjoy!

(Don't tear your hair out! )
    Last edited by Ariovistus Maximus; September 21, 2010, 14:45.

First Impressions

· Scalable requirements. My PC is above recommended hardware except for the CPU, a Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz. I was really worried that this would ruin gameplay (long waits for loading and inter-turns), but I’ve been playing on a huge map with no trouble. I’m thrilled!

· Excellent UI! The interface is a surprise at first, but easy to learn. The interface is intuitive and handy tooltips explain everything you need to know. Important information is detailed in a very efficient manner, and details are easily accessible without cluttering the screen. Also, the strategic view, which gives a more 2-dimensional view of the map and highlights important features, is VERY helpful.

· I love the music. It seems that civs (or at least like groups of civs) have unique in-game soundtracks. In most games I turn off the music, but in CiV the soundtrack amplifies an already-pleasurable experience. For the record though, I’m a classical type; others may not enjoy the music as well as I do.

· There are a lot of pleasant little aesthetics, even in setting up a game. When you choose a civ, for instance, the menu shows a unique image about that civ. For example, when I chose Greece, I was presented with a map of Alexander’s conquests. When you start a game, the (quite good) narrator reads a couple of introductory paragraphs that are unique to your civilization. There are a lot of fun bits of polish like this!

· Advisors are back, and they actually give relevant advice! They aren’t as personable as the Civ III advisors but I find them quite helpful, especially being new to the game as everyone is. They have pointed out many details that I have missed.

· Like the UI as a whole, the city screen is excellent. It shows every output of the city, when the next cultural or population growth is due, what tiles are being worked, what good tiles could be worked, and where cultural growth will expand the border.

· Speaking of culture, it expands tile-by-tile in CiV, rather than the fat cross of previous games. It is much more realistic and natural this way. Your borders will expand more quickly toward resources that your population want, and less into pointless terrain like mountains, where obviously no one would settle.

· Social Policy is awesome. It really lets you customize and play towards your personal strengths, as well as the strengths of your civ. Vastly superior to Civ IV's civics.

Comment

My Game

Civ: GREECE
      Trait: Hellenic League (City-State influence degrades half as slowly as normal, and it recovers at twice the speed as for other civilizations.)
      UU #1: Hoplite (Stronger than spearmen.)
      UU #2: Companion Cavalry (Stronger, faster, and more likely to produce great generals than normal horsemen.)
      Map: EARTH
      Size: HUGE
      Level: PRINCE (Normal Difficulty)
      Speed: STANDARD

Spoiler:

I’ve decided to play my first game as Greece. Their special trait causes negative relations with city-states to improve twice as fast as other factions, and their positive relations to deteriorate at half the normal speed. Since nation states are one of the most exciting new features in the game for me, I want my first experience with them to be as good as can be.

The game starts in a little valley on the coast. The land around me is lush but surrounded by mountains and hills. I am playing on CiV’s (awesome) scalable Earth map, so I suspect I am in the northern hemisphere.

My beginning location is blessed, for I have wheat, gold, gems, and marble nearby! However, surveying the land around me, I find that there isn’t much good land for new cities. I suspect that I have started in Norway.

Spoiler:

If that’s the case, I have two plans. First, I will pursue sailing and optics as quickly as I can within bounds of reason, so that I can expand into northern Europe. Secondly, I will develop the Tradition social policy tree in order to improve my capital until I can find good land to settle.

The time comes quickly, and I adopt Tradition. My capitol city of Athens immediately receives a bonus of 1 food per turn and I will be able to apply culture points to further advances that will make Athens the jewel of the civilized world!

Spoiler:

My exploring warrior finds a way into Finland, uncovering ruins that yield 90 gold! This exultant occasion was somewhat dampened, however, by a barbarian making his way toward my capitol! I was scrambling madly to roll out a warrior to defend my only city, remembering the many bitter early-game defeats I suffered in Civ III. Until, that is, I realized…

Cities defend themselves in Civ V! Not only that, but I could actually bombard the enemy once he entered my territory, taking off 1 to 2 points from his health each turn. Incidentally, I noticed something handy as far as unit graphics. All units have 10 health, although their combat strength varies. Each health point is represented by one unit graphic, as well as a health bar. So you can easily determine the strength of units on the map by counting the number of men on it.

I guess this won’t apply to later units like tanks and gunships, but it’s kind of handy all the same.

After quite some time to myself, I finally stumbled upon the little city-state of Sidon! This is what I’ve been waiting for; my unique trait can get to work. They are a militaristic city-state, so good relations with them will probably yield gifts of advanced units! Conversely, they will be a tougher nut to crack if I should choose to go the conquest route.

Spoiler:

Shortly after our first meeting, Sidon gives me a mission! This is what city states are all about in CiV; making things happen and giving more depth/variety to gameplay. In this case, Sidon is beset by barbarians and seeks my help. Our relations will improve for every unit I kill in territory adjacent to Sidon’s border.

I have also met my first real opponent: the great civilization of Persia! What irony that, as Greece, this should be my first encounter. We will see how this natural rivalry plays out. As it happens, I receive word the same turn that a great literary work has been accomplished, which declares that the Greeks are the second most industrious people in the world! An unknown nation has earned the distinction of being first.

Spoiler:

After some success against barbarians in Sidon’s territory, I am given a new mission: take the fight to the enemy! I am to destroy the barbarian’s camp. I approach the camp with a raw unit, and to my surprise he is attacked by two barbarian warriors from each side! Fortunately he is in a forested mountain pass.

As if in my own version of Thermopylae, my warriors rout both enemy units, although neither are destroyed. I pursue the weakest and gain more experience for my men. Both are given the promotion which grants better skill in rough territory like hills and forests, which are everywhere. Shortly thereafter, my second warrior arrives and the enemy camp is destroyed.

As a result, my relations with Sidon are substantially improved, and their posture towards us becomes friendly! Thanks to my unique trait, it will be some time before this friendship grows stale. I look forward to taking this state under my wing and using it to protect the land route into my native territory.

I noticed after these feats of military prowess (well, okay minor victories against barbs), that Persia’s attitude toward us is one of fear. Interesting; very interesting indeed. But to my frustration, I cannot seem to find the readout (as there was in Civ IV) that shows all the factors in their attitude.

I have a second settler ready, but barbarians are keeping me cooped up In my capitol. Another warrior will soon remedy this problem, and I can expand to the tip of the Scandinavian peninsula, which is really the only good land to be had. After this I must take to the sea.

A little wind is taken out of my proverbial sails though. Other civilizations have begun to complete wonders like the Colossus and Great Library! However, my efforts to develop a sea-faring civilization may have given me an edge on the Great Lighthouse. While others have researched technologies like Bronze Working, I've gotten sailing and hopefully can complete the Great Lighthouse in time. The Lighthouse will grant a range and line of sight bonus to all my warships.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ariovistus Maximus; September 22, 2010, 11:17.

Comment

So far, so good. I am finding this fascinating.

Comment

Very cool! Thanks for the good reading, keep the updates coming! Gives something for us folks without CivV yet to satisfy our craving.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Sorry folks, I'm currently stalled out to computer issues. I've migrated to a new computer to test it out but I'm having a struggle to get the video drivers installed. If it works, I should get some good play time in tonight. If not, I'll be hugely put off and there'll be nothing until tomorrow.

Comment

Too bad. But the story so far sounds great!
              Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
              Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
              New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

All right! I'm up and running again! The new machine is functioning fine. Moral of the story: Vista is absolute garbage.

This computer came with Vista, and I worked for hours and hours just to install my video card drivers all to no avail. Then in desperation I started all over and installed Windows 7. Voila, everything worked just like that.

So now I've got my campaign running again and I'm ready to roll!

Comment

Nice First Impressions

Comment

Screenshots are up! Just open the spoilers.

Comment

Nice to see your Earth map, hope they are good. But damn that one looks HUGE!

Comment

As my culture advances, I developed the "Aristocracy" portion of my Social Policy tree, which will give a 33% bonus to wonder construction speed. I launch into the 11-turn Great Lighthouse project; not bad for a world wonder.

Here you can see the work in progress; that's a nice little feature.
                        Spoiler:

While this is going on, I am starting to worry. All my rival civs are advancing into the classical age. I’m heading in that direction myself, with Optics, but haven’t reached it yet. Also, Persia is taking a substantial lead in overall score. I’m hoping that the Lighthouse will springboard me ahead of the pack.

On the positive side, the great (and very happy) people of Greece have entered a golden age! Golden ages in CiV can be initiated when overall happiness reaches a certain level. Thanks to the three luxury resources in my capitol, it didn’t take long!

Spoiler:

Another piece of awkward news reaches me soon after; Sidon, whose support I had been counting on, has allied with Persia! How could they do this to me? I, who saved them from the barbarian hordes! But in just a few turns, Sidon reneges on the agreement. I decide that this is the perfect time to offer the city-state a financial gift to improve our relations. It’s worth noting that there are three different tributes one can offer to city states, each costing more money and reaping greater rewards.

Thanks to my unique trait, the friendship I earned by killing barbarians has not yet faded. We are still on friendly terms. My gift propels our relationship ahead even further, and we become allies! I didn’t know this, but alliance with a city-state is automatic and depends on the status of our relations.

Here is a shot of that epic barbarian campaign. No, that unit did not win out in the end, sadly.
                        Spoiler:

Based on the rate that I lose influence, I am guaranteed to be allies with Sidon for 20 turns. By that time I should have found another way to secure their friendship. This is important to me because I get a lot out of this alliance. Perhaps I will close the deal with another gift of money, or maybe even with some units. Unfortunately, the current mission from Sidon is to spawn a Great Artist, which I currently have no way to do.

For one thing, my already-happy people have asked that I acquire a source of furs, which Sidon has. By aligning with a city-state, you get access to their resources. Sure enough, once the deal is complete, the people of Athens celebrate "We Love the King Day." Things are good in the Greek Empire.

Taking advantage of this Golden Age, production of the Great Lighthouse surges and is completed in short order. The wonder is completed, I get a nice pop-up screen (not as nice as the phenomenal Civ IV wonder movies, mind you), and my score soars.

Spoiler:

At the same time, I complete Masonry, which unlocks the opportunity to construct the Pyramids. The wonder-monger within me has awoken! Knowing that other civs have probably researched Masonry already, I take a gamble and launch into the Pyramids project. And what should I be met with but…

Success! The Pyramids and their 33% bonus to worker productivity are mine.

Spoiler:

But it doesn’t end there. After constant warfare with barbarians, who diligently inhibited my attempts at settling a new city, I have finally pushed them out of my territory. The city of Sparta has been founded on the tip of my home territory…

Alaska! Yes, Alaska. It looked a lot like Norway and Europe until I reached the Great Lakes. Old Faithful was a bit of a tip-off as well, since this is a real Earth map after all. This is an awkward development for my strategy, which was to settle across the Baltic in such a way that my capitol would be fairly centralized.

Spoiler:

At this point it looks like I’ll have to settle in California; it’s the only good land available, since Sidon occupies the area to the East. Of course, conquest is an idea… but at this point my geographical position rules that out as a practical option. I'm too far away from anyone to mount an effective campaign.

Although, interestingly, Persia has gotten me into a war. The very turn I met my second AI, George Washington, Persia asked me to join forces against them! I guess Persia has had it in for them for quite some time, and they wanted my muscle. Don't tell them that I don't have any. Persia, however, still fears me because of my barbarian campaign. I'd say that's a really good commentary on the AI!

Here is one of the more epic moments of that conflict. Yes, that unit did lose out in the end.

Nevertheless, it seems like everything is falling into place for me. My trait has gained me a militaristic city-state as an ally, my Traditional social policy combined with my starting resources have gotten me two world wonders in Athens, and I have plenty of room to expand!

And here we end for now, at the dawn of a new era.

Spoiler:
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Ariovistus Maximus; September 23, 2010, 00:29.

Comment

Nice introduction to the game, thanks!

Since the game's so new, your idea to add the screenshots was a very good idea to help center the reader.
                          Last edited by DarkCloud; September 23, 2010, 01:38.
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Glad you enjoy it!

I've been playing the last few hours and you will be very surprised by all that has happened. I have quite literally taken Greece in a new direction.

Comment

Civ V seems more like a "story" based game like CIV 3 was where you can sort of immerse yourself in the game. CIV IV didn't have a great interface and seemed more like an RTS.

I haven't had much time to play CIV V but so far I like it.

I'm still learning the screens - the diplomacy screens I have found the most confusing (although I love the animations) how did you figure Persia feared you? Did you ever figure out how to see other traits, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X