No announcement yet.

APPCRASH when launching the Civ 5 DirectX10/11 exe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd wonder if there is either a problem in the latest 7900GS drivers (ie, try rolling back to the previous iteration), or if there is a problem with DX11 version on 7900 GS (which is basically the lowest level card capable of using DX10). Technically speaking, does Win7 run DX11 on a DX10 compatible card? I don't know how that works, but I wonder if there's some issue there (I don't believe 7900GS is compatible with DX11).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I have an ATi HD3870, a DX10.1 card. In the lower end, but the game runs fine. Civ5 DX11 runs on anything with 10.1 or above.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        I'd wonder if there is either a problem in the latest 7900GS drivers (ie, try rolling back to the previous iteration), or if there is a problem with DX11 version on 7900 GS (which is basically the lowest level card capable of using DX10). Technically speaking, does Win7 run DX11 on a DX10 compatible card? I don't know how that works, but I wonder if there's some issue there (I don't believe 7900GS is compatible with DX11).
        The 7900GS is actually a DX9 card.

That would explain it.

GeForce FX/6/7 are DX9.
        GeForce 8/9/GT2xx/GT3xx are DX10.
        GT4xx are DX11.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I have an Nvideo GeForce 9650M GS, that's also a DX9 card?
          edit: according to Asher's last post it's a DirectX 10 one, but then I wonder why it crashes.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I think it's 10.0. If that is the case, you're out of luck, the game needs 10.1 to work with the dx11 version.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              The 7900GS is actually a DX9 card.

That would explain it.

GeForce FX/6/7 are DX9.
              GeForce 8/9/GT2xx/GT3xx are DX10.
              GT4xx are DX11.
              Aha! That would certainly explain it. Thanks everyone for the quick help. Looks like I should buy that new Alienware computer after all. This will be my justification to the wife LOL
              One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
              "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                I think it's 10.0. If that is the case, you're out of luck, the game needs 10.1 to work with the dx11 version.
                That may explain why my laptop heats up that much while playing civ5
                It's enough to heat the room. And after 45 minutes of playing it shuts down to protect itself smart boy.

Anyway, on lower grapic levels it's a lot better.
                I just need a new laptop! What if you all start clicking our ads to help me?
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Firaxis really should do a simple check to see if your computer is DX10.1/11 capable. It's trivially easy. No excuse for that not being there.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I am getting the same error but with both the Directx9 and the 10/11. I believe my video card doesn't support 10 so that I understand but I can't figure out why 9 won't start. My video card is an ATI Radeon x600. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
                    These are the errors:
                    Problem signature:
                    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
                    Application Name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe
                    Application Version: 1.0.0.7
                    Application Timestamp: 4c92b5dd
                    Fault Module Name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe
                    Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.7
                    Fault Module Timestamp: 4c92b5dd
                    Exception Code: c0000005
                    Exception Offset: 00406d4d
                    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
                    Locale ID: 1033
                    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
                    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
                    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
                    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

direct X 9 with intro video turned off

Problem signature:
                    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
                    Application Name: CivilizationV.exe
                    Application Version: 1.0.0.7
                    Application Timestamp: 4c92b5f3
                    Fault Module Name: CivilizationV.exe
                    Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.7
                    Fault Module Timestamp: 4c92b5f3
                    Exception Code: c0000005
                    Exception Offset: 00150d47
                    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
                    Locale ID: 1033
                    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
                    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
                    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
                    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Comment

I'm starting to think that the European release date is something of a blessing in disguise... Three days for the Americans to beta test the product for us

Comment

Pretty sure X600 is under the minimum requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                          I'm starting to think that the European release date is something of a blessing in disguise... Three days for the Americans to beta test the product for us
                          Yeah, they treat us like guinea pigs.

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                          Pretty sure X600 is under the minimum requirements.
                          I looked it up and if it is like this one: http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Radeon-X600-Graphics-PCI-Express/dp/B0035HPHXA
                          then it is under the minimum specs.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I looked it up and if it is like this one: http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Radeon-X600-Graphics-PCI-Express/dp/B0035HPHXA
                            then it is under the minimum specs.
                            It is not that one, it's this one: 256MB ATI Radeon X600 SE
                            Which with 256 should be just at the minimum.

Comment

OK, then hopefully it will work. To solve your problem I would try to uninstall and then reinstall both Direct X and the video card drivers. You want a fresh install as that solves most problems.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by lady flash View Post
                                It is not that one, it's this one: 256MB ATI Radeon X600 SE
                                Which with 256 should be just at the minimum.
                                No,sorry. It's not just the RAM. Your graphics chip is two generations behind the minimum:

256 MB ATI 2600 XT/nVidia 7900 GS or better video card, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics

The generations went X600 -> X1600 -> 2600 XT -> HD3000 series -> HD4000 series -> HD5000 series, and starting next month, HD6000 series.

IIRC the game needs Shader Model 3.0 or higher to run, and the X600 only supports up through SM 2.0.

Comment

Working...
                                X