Two Palaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Palaces

I hope I've successfully attached a game file here. It's named with a zip extension to make the software happy, but it's actually a .sav file, renamed, because Windows NT is being a pain in my non-administrator butt.

Check out Alaska. Then check out Flat.

Maybe this happened because Flat was originally my city, and then the Indians took it and then moved their capital there before I took it back?

Oops. Let's try that again.
    Attached Files

Comment

Just to be clear: don't unzip the file; rename it with a .sav extension.

Comment

So, has anybody else ever had two palaces at once?

Comment

Sorry, debeest, the dl I made from home was corrupt so I had to dl again from work in order to see this marvel ...

You have two capitals - and the Indian Embassy agrees and lists both Alaska and Flat as your capital. No I have never ever seen anything like this before!

The Alaskan palace gives the standard "You cannot sell your palace" message, but Flat gives the "You cannot sell two improvements in one turn" message - as I don't know whether you have just sold something there I am unable to comment, but given your gold surplus it seems unlikely that you have, in fact, sold an improvement in this city ...

This game never ceases to amaze ...
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I've never had two, but would love to! Do both eliminate corruption in nearby cities? That would be grand...
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

Use cheat mode to launch a quick SS and then try letting the ai capture one of the capitals. Try both of them.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I've never had my Civ have 2 capitals before, but I've seen the AI have it several times.
                It's a real pain in the rear to have to capture 2 capitals to split and empire or see that glorious Capital: NONE
                on the intelligence screen!
                -HOWITZER AL-
                -------------------
                Some complain that God put thorns on roses,
                While others rejoice that He put roses among the thorns.

Comment

You have????
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Yep. It's been a while--maybe a year ago or so. There was a period there when it seemed like in every other game I'd play there would be an AI civ with 2 capitals. IIRC, I always had to conquer both capital cities in order to get the normal consequences of conquering a capital.
                    Unfortunately, I don't have any saves from that long ago. I seem to remember that when a civ had 2 capitals, it usually seemed to be a huge one: lots of cities sprawled out all over the place.
                    -HOWITZER AL-
                    -------------------
                    Some complain that God put thorns on roses,
                    While others rejoice that He put roses among the thorns.

Comment

I've seen scenarios where the human player has more than one palace. The good news is that yes, each palace city has no corruption and each palace also reduces the corruption in nearby cities. It's a good way to make Despotism, Monarchy and Republic work in large map scenarios. Palace cities are also unbribable too, IIRC.

Comment

I once got two palaces when I was playing the Microprose WW79 scenario. I was the Soviets and the Americans had just moved their capital to Atlanta after I took their old capital. When I took Atlanta on the next turn, I was surprised to see a palace in there. Very weird. It has never happened to me before or since.
                        STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

I have no explanation for the two palace thing. But there is also something else I've never seen, a barbarian Armor unit. How did that happen?
                          "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
                          --

Comment

Barbarian armor happens. I got that city from a hut, and of course the barbs immediately came along and took it. Since the Spanish were a replacement civ, they never got anything going, so they never wiped it out, and the city's been there for much of the game, churning out barbs that wander away and dissipate. Eventually they got to armor.

Comment

Maybe if you have an old capital city, and right before the new capital is completed, you sell something else in the old capital city. Then, when it attempts to sell your old palace, it can't, because you've already sold something.

Try this. Maybe you can even get 3 or more capitals.
                              Visit First Cultural Industries
                              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X