Report Bugs Hints & Tips Strategy Articles Best of Civ5 Best Leaders Member reviews Stories
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Civilization V Reviews Reference List

Melboz99
    Country
    This is Melboz99's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    16:58

Post Civilization V Reviews Reference List...

Wired Magazine Posted Sept 17... Rating: 8/10

The Escapist (With Video Segment) Posted Sept 17th... Rating: 5/5

Destructoid Posted Sept 17th... Rating: 9.5/10 -- Superb

ShackNews Posted Sept 17th... No Rating Given.

Joystiq Posted Sept 17th... Rating 5/5

G4 Posted Sept 17th... Rating 5/5

Gaming Nexus Posted Sept 17th... Rating 'A'

Game Informer Posted Sept 17th... Rating 9.75/10

Game Trailers (With Full video Review [7:46]) Posted Sept 17th... Rating 9.4/10

Computer and Video Games Posted Sept 20th... Rating 9.3/10

PC Gamer Posted Sept 20th... Rating 9.3/10

Cheat Code Central Posted *unknown*... Rating 4.7/5 -- "Must Buy"

IGN Posted Sept 20th... Rating 9/10

Will add more as I find them, feel free to add them to this thread as well if you see them.
    Last edited by Melboz99; September 20, 2010 at 22:01. Reason: Added more reviews to the list

Sir Og
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 22, 2014
    Local Time
    00:58
    This is a good idea. Maybe adding dates next to each review will be even more helpful. KUTGW
    Quendelie axan!

Robert Plomp
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    23:58
    Thanks Melboz99, great job! I've promoted your post/thread to the front page!

Sava
    Country
    This is Sava's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    You should put the scores next to the links for those of us who can't be arsed to read each one.
    (\__/) "Sava is teh man" -Ecthy
    (='.'=) Sava may be considered a hoax
    (")_(") bring me everyone

Melboz99
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Thanks for the thread promotion Robert!

If we normalize these scores (IE, 5/5 becomes 100%) and we can safely call an 'A' a 100%, then the average thus far (not counting ShackNews who chose not to leave a rating), would be 96.07% with Wired Magazine's low score of 80% being the lowest value.

Dan O.
    Last edited by Melboz99; September 17, 2010 at 22:45. Reason: Updated calculation

Boris Godunov
    Country
    This is Boris Godunov's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    14:58
    The Wired score seems based only on the idea that the game might not be exciting enough for people used to action/shooter games. Otherwise, the review is glowing, so it's a really bizarre score...
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Dinner
    Country
    This is Dinner's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    I like it.
    "Our scientific power has out run out spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself."
    - Joseph Pulitzer

Sabre2th
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time

Nostromo
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Nice! I really like the gametrailer reviews
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Sabre2th
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty good. I really like video reviews. A knowledgeable reviewer talking about the game, with supporting images, really helps.

MxM
    Country
    This is MxM's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    17:58
    So, what is the reason for them to knock off couple tenths from the perfect 10? Is it clear what they are complaining about?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Melboz99
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by MxM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, what is the reason for them to knock off couple tenths from the perfect 10? Is it clear what they are complaining about?
    Most of them really don't give any reasoning behind the non-perfect score. Heck, CVG gave it a 9.3 /10 because of "a few niggles with the unit movement and AI" or such. Which, IMO, is a huge dent in a score for "niggles".

But this has been a problem with game ratings for decades. When's the last time you saw an honest review give a game a 1/10? Or how about a 2.3?

Effectively, 90% of reviews fall into the 80-95% range (8.0 - 9.5) and getting anything above (or below actually) seems rare. In this sense, getting as high an average as CIV is, especially for a game in a genre that's not typically thought of as main-stream (FPS, RPG, maybe RTS would all be more main-stream genres), is exceptional, and should be thought of as nothing short of an Ace, a perfect, as perfect gets in an imperfect world.

One slight gripe I have btw is that the spotlight says 9.7 for GameTrailers, that's the User Rating for the Video, in the video itself at the very end the Reviewer gives the game a 9.4. Sorry, I like to keep my facts straight. :P

Dan O.

Jvstin
    Country
    This is Jvstin's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    15:58
    Quote Originally Posted by Melboz99 View Post

But this has been a problem with game ratings for decades. When's the last time you saw an honest review give a game a 1/10? Or how about a 2.3?

Effectively, 90% of reviews fall into the 80-95% range (8.0 - 9.5) and getting anything above (or below actually) seems rare. In this sense, getting as high an average as CIV is, especially for a game in a genre that's not typically thought of as main-stream (FPS, RPG, maybe RTS would all be more main-stream genres), is exceptional, and should be thought of as nothing short of an Ace, a perfect, as perfect gets in an imperfect world.
    There is indeed a "Garrison Keillor" effect to reviews--most reviews are "above average". This is true of many things. Take a look at how many Amazon reviews of books, games, etc are 4 and 5 star?

Robert Plomp
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Melbox99: One slight gripe I have btw is that the spotlight says 9.7 for GameTrailers, that's the User Rating for the Video, in the video itself at the very end the Reviewer gives the game a 9.4. Sorry, I like to keep my facts straight. :P

Fixed!

Melboz99
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Jvstin View Post
    There is indeed a "Garrison Keillor" effect to reviews--most reviews are "above average". This is true of many things. Take a look at how many Amazon reviews of books, games, etc are 4 and 5 star?
    Right, that's exactly what I'm referring to.

The thing to note though is that while most reviews are above average, almost nothing nets a perfect score in the end. Even Games like StarCraft II didn't get 100/100 on every review site, or even most that I'm aware of, and much of the high scores were from personal impressions, rather than objective ratings.

Ergo, getting as high of a score as Civilization V has is difficult to say the least, even for the big dogs with deep pockets. In this way I'm very happy with Civilization V scoring well above 90%.

Oh, and thanks Robert!

pdxsean
    Country
    This is pdxsean's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    I'm not even sure how you can accurately review this game so soon. The real beauty of all Civ games has been the depth and layers of intricate strategy involved. A game this complex (even without religion, tax/science/culture slider, etc) surely takes more than just a few play-throughs to form a solid opinion. Considering that a lot of the reviews use the same language and promote the same new features, it is hard to really take them at their word.

All indicators point to a 10/10 game, but in a couple of weeks I think we'll all know for ourselves.
    What's up, hot dog?

MxM
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Please add IGN review 9/10 The guy complained about absence of religion and government polices of Civ IV (which is not is issue for me, I did not find them entertaining). But he also said that AI is overly aggressive. Which may be a problem for me, because I do not like military path for victory - too many civs to conquer.
    -- Bertrand Russell

dacole
    Country
    This is dacole's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    21:58
    pcgamer gave it a 93 in the magazine and an editors choice award...best quote "the painterly art style of the randomly generated maps when starting a new game feel like Monet meets google maps" the art director should have just pissed himself with glee.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/20/civilisation-v-review/

pdxsean
    Country
    This is pdxsean's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by MxM View Post
    The guy complained about absence of religion and government polices of Civ IV.
    I find this one of the more amusing complaints about the game. While I'll miss religion, I'm really excited about the new social policies. The idea that we're missing out on government seems silly... I mean, we went from 25 government settings to what appears to be 40 or so government settings. Or more accurately, IV's ability to apply five buffs to our government (1 in each category) to V's being able to accumulate, what, 30 buffs over the course of the game with social policies?
    What's up, hot dog?

OneFootInTheGrave
    Country
    This is OneFootInTheGrave's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    full Ars Technica review
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...lization-v.ars

The Good

* The revamped interface allows both new and old players to spend less time figuring out how to manage their empire and more time getting stuff done
    * Fewer, more robust units make per-turn unit management quicker
    * The changes implemented in the combat system present interesting new challenges and advantages to both offense and defense
    * City-states are a great addition to the game in terms of resources, combat, and diplomacy. For Civ4 vets, they are vassals writ large
    * The graphics are very pretty and not terribly demanding on the system; the settings have a good deal of flexibility
    * The "quests" lend some micro-structure to the game, something to do between wars or when no one likes you enough to trade
    * I have not yet seen them, but I've heard that in the modern era you can build Tiny Death Robots
    * It's still addictive as hell, and sweeps you into the action immediately, every time, without overwhelming you

The Bad

* The AI has been reworked, but diplomatic relations with them occasionally have an overtone of "if you don't know what's wrong, I'm not going to tell you"
    * Some parts are a little goofy. I had no problem with the lists when they were "The Happiest Civilizations," as opposed to now, where it's "People that Smile the Most"
    * Social policies and culture are almost forgettable if you're more into domination/conquest/diplomatic victories
    * No technology trading, which was marginally more realistic than a "research agreement," at least in the BC years, and less expensive
    * Alerts can stack up and it can be tiresome to dismiss a huge pile of them just make sure you've dealt with them all

The Ugly

* Hardcore fans may not agree with some of the editing choices made in the streamlining of the game, and may feel that victory doesn't require exactly the same grueling tenacity
    * The purchasing aspects of the game (units, buildings, tiles, influence, research agreements) may come to feel like or be perceived as cheesy strategy, especially in multiplayer games, since you mostly just have to know how to generate money

Verdict: Buy

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

OneFootInTheGrave
    Country
    This is OneFootInTheGrave's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    hmmm... may be worth a thread itself. but leave it to Cyber to decide...
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Dinner
    Country
    This is Dinner's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    The Escapist (With Video Segment) Posted Sept 17th... Rating: 5/5
    That shitbag said in the video that "Civ5 is the best Civilization game to date except CivRev." **** him. He should be drawn and quartered for garbage like that.
    "Our scientific power has out run out spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself."
    - Joseph Pulitzer

Sava
    Country
    This is Sava's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Heck, CVG gave it a 9.3 /10 because of "a few niggles"
    Wow. That's racist.
    (\__/) "Sava is teh man" -Ecthy
    (='.'=) Sava may be considered a hoax
    (")_(") bring me everyone

MxM
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    From ARS review:
    Overall, it seems the role of civics and social policy have been diminished; at least, they don't have the ability to effect sweeping changes like some of the civics in Civ4. The sum total of all the earned benefits in trees would be more significant in the endgame, and thus may not greatly interest players who are aggressive and want the game to be over as quickly as possible.
    Do you find it contradictory? Is he just trying criticize it for the sake of it?

Sometimes the AIs appear to be not-so-intelligent, despite their name. For instance, I once offered Siam five gold per turn for 10 turns, and their leader offered me a nonsensical 39 gold in exchange. It's hard to say whether the AIs were designed to be facetious, but sometimes basic math seems to elude them. Maybe it is just a way to figure out how they really feel about you—see if your money's any good to them.
    I actually like it. It kind of shows civ feeling towards you in a numerical way. There may be better way to implement it probably, so it feels more natural.

The Ugly
    Hardcore fans may not agree with some of the editing choices made in the streamlining of the game, and may feel that victory doesn't require exactly the same grueling tenacity
    I am an old timer with Civ series, but how is that ugly? If anything, removing grueling anything from the game is huge positive factor. It is a game, dammit, not a job. (and even job should not be "grueling").
    -- Bertrand Russell

Azazell
    Country
    This is Azazell's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    21:58
    Hello Guys!

This is my review Civilization V

Link --> http://www.gry.gildia.pl/gry/sid_meiers_civ5/recenzja
    (suggests using google translator)

Nostromo
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    It got a C from 1up. And the reviewer seems to know what he's talking about. It seems the AI can't play the game. Here's the review:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?pag...Id=3181540&p=1
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Sirotnikov
    Country
    This is Sirotnikov's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
    full Ars Technica review
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...lization-v.ars

The Bad

* Social policies and culture are almost forgettable if you're more into domination/conquest/diplomatic victories
    If this is true, then it's a huge problem.

If a part of the game is so negligent you can downright ignore it and win, it means it is a bad bad design.
    Could a player win without ever changing from despotism in Civ II?

from the ign review:

in all the games I played it seemed it was overly difficult to get anything but a timed or military victory against the AI when starting from the earliest period. The AI is simply far too aggressive once they're on your borders, and no amount of gifts or other concessions would keep them from deciding to attack me. Attacking would then force me to focus on my military, taking my cities' production away from building the other scientific or cultural items I needed to win.

This is also a major problem for non-conquest strategies.
    In earlier games you could play the game mostly peacefully and wars were not always avoidable, but non the less containable.

My impression of Civ5 is that you have much less cities. That automatically makes the military aspect much more important.
    You can't really afford losing 2 cities to a bad neighbour. Also since you have less cities, suddenly ALL of your empire is absolutely stalled by the war effort.

Obviously the ability to ignore wars completely is stupid, but this seems to push the edge too much.

Sirotnikov
    Country
    This is Sirotnikov's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time

Nostromo
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirotnikov View Post
    Ahem, look at post 26

MxM
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
    It got a C from 1up. And the reviewer seems to know what he's talking about. It seems the AI can't play the game.
    No, it is rather interface issue, that you are kind of in the dark what AI is doing. There is no way to view relationship between civs, or even between them and you. That's major complaint for me too.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast