End turn keyboard shortcut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End turn keyboard shortcut

in addition to keeping aircraft and missiles aloft it also keeps triremes from sinking.Just move 2 squares though then use it.They never sink.Only works in gold version as the single player version has no such keyboard shortcut.It really should be fixed but I won't hold my breath.Death to The Lighthouse?
    [This message has been edited by Smash (edited April 21, 2000).]
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Good catch, I guess we should have guessed that when we were testing the planes, but I didn't have any wimp ships on the board when I had planes

Cheapens the lighthouse but vet ships still rock early, and the extra space.

RAH
    Lord of the suffacating Ferrets(they never learn)
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That really sucks b/c you can't monitor the cheat. Triremes don't always sink, so how can you tell if someone uses the cheat?
      "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
      Jonathan Swift

Comment

If you host alot I recommend you go into the menu.txt and remove this command from @orders
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I have no idea what you are talking about... like you just move your tireme two spaces then hit enter? does this only work with macs?
          Apolyton Empress
          "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

no no.there is a keyboard shortcut that ends your turn.Its command+N on mac.i think same keys for pc.

you move your trireme(s) 2 spaces then press W.Move your other units then when it comes back to the boat you hit command+N.Next turn the boat is ok and has full movement.

Comment

Yeah... n... you didn't know about that?? I discovered it when I played WW2 for the first time on the gold edition. (got it the day it came out, I know I don't have a life ) I was trying to do something with a fighter and hit n, then my turn was over... I hit enter and it didn't die... I thought it was weird... and tried it again, eureka! But I haven't used it since...
              I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

I always have hated losing triremes, but then again, I do not like cheating. So...
                To cheat or not to cheat, that is the question.

------------------
                Long live the Communists!
                -- SilverDragon

Comment

Well if you never start using it, you'll never know the cheat was there

------------------
                  SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                  -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
                  "It's just a flesh wound!"
                  - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

You can tell wether or not a trireme should have sunk or not in the followning way.

We all know that some grassland tiles have shields (or hoofprints, perhaps...) anyway the arrangement of the shields has a pattern, much like the specials, but denser. If a trireme ends its turn on a tile that would be a shield if it were grass then it will sink, if not it won't. This can be boring though, you're better off not building triremes in my opinion.

That is a way you could check for cheats, or rationalise cheating as something you could work out if you could be bothered.
                    www.neo-geo.com

Comment

I have a hard time believing this one.

It still must be based on some kind of percentage, and not what is described by johnmcd.

A simple test of his theory...
                      Move ship two squares... save game. Move ship third square. If it sinks, reset and try again to the same square where it sunk the first time. Having done this, sometimes the ship sinks, and sometimes it doesn't. This tells me it is a percentage chance, and not a matter of the square
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have to agree with Ming on this one. Back before MP, when planing SP, I tested this one out to see if it was truely a percentage. It was. I have to admit, I haven't tested it on MP gold, but I doubt they changed it.

RAH
                        Never would risk it in an mp game but have lost them through slippery fingers.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

the rules txt. states a one in two chance of sinking if not near land.... which decreases with both seafaring and navigation.

I guess sometimes you get lucky, last night i had a trireme which needed five spaces to go to get to the peacefull Sioux. Without the shortcut i was looking at an additional nine turns using the coastlines. I went for it and my caravans landed safely

Alas when i sent some troops over to backstab the ingrates, the ship was lost at see and so were my vet crusaders

Which brings up my next question, does the cargo in the trireme play any role in whether or not your brave navigational skills might survive the stormy seas in a trireme or is it purely mathematical chance>

Comment

My experience (as opposed to certain knowledge) would definitely agree with Fenway - empty triremes (and maybe triremes with non-offensive units) are MUCH more robust. However, once you put a military unit on board they sink, sink, sink!
                            I cannot recall a single instance when a trireme with a mil unit did NOT sink on the first time of asking - after that you sometimes get away with it, but the very first time a trireme is out of sight of land I reckon that if it has a mil unit it is history.
                            We need some research, guys...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                            X