Minecraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minecraft

I love this game, and it will probably see me through to civ5. the best £8 Ive spent in a long time. Its got a 'just one more block' feel to it when you have a grand plan for a project.

The game has no specific aim or goal - its a sandbox game. some people compare the game to having an enormous box of lego, a box which has an infinite procedurally generated world in it also.

The game has a couple of modes currently, creative and survival. creative has unlimited blocks for building and such. Survival mode has you mining, farming, chopping trees to get your blocks with the aim of surviving the night, which is no easy task. Ive gained a healthy fear of the dark in this game

I play on a survival multiplayer server. I log in every day to find suprising creations others have made. I have been attempting to recreate the 7 ancient wonders of the world, perhaps you can identify them ?

Having played more than my fair share of civ I also made a great library

bearing in mind each of these is made with a variety of '1m³' blocks.

Will be back to post more stuff later. www.minecraft.net
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

What does this have to do with StarCraft?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Nothing - that's why the thread is called Minecraft rather than Starcraft.

Comment

Looks kind of fun, but how exploitable is the game? Can I capture zombies and unleash them upon my enemies?

Comment

The game is written in java, and has a wide variety of community made mods. So I guess technically the game is as exploitable as your ability to code.

There is an intention to create an adventure mode, wherein players can create dungeons for other players to explore. There is already a complex mechanics system, allowing logic gates to control a variety of switchs, doors etc so traps are a very real possibility. I havent dabbled with this system yet

Currently I can only create pig spawners, not the most scary mob. I assume this will change for adventure mode.

When full survival rules are implemented in multiplayer I guess you could destroy all of an opponents torches, and so provide dark areas for monsters to spawn in his base

Heres a few videos i liked, showing a few different aspects of the game

combat and inventory management (does get a bit loud! so watch your max volume)

Simply Epic

Great tune, and a variety of good examples of different buildings

Last edited by Snotty; August 26, 2010, 08:23.

Comment

I'll wait for Worlds of Minecraft. I'm sure the dwarves will dominate it.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You jest but I would put money on exactly that happening.

Heres a good video of what you need to do to survive the first night in minecraft, showing important information like how to make your first workbench, lights and tools. There are also good text guides to if thats your preference.

Comment

About 110x100. 4 days of building, without /give
                Based on Battersea power station

Comment

Minecraft got on the front page of penny arcade, with not one but MORE comics. Thats a huge plug!

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Maybe we get monsters today in multiplayer <3 Watch this space, or, you know, notchs update blog

Comment

Thanks for the link especially to X's buildings--the videos are great.

And your factory looks impressive.
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

If you're registered on his forums, I have an idea if it hasn't been mentioned yet that perhaps could be added to his list-- have they considered adding a "backpack" so people can carry more items in their inventory?
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Minecraft is FREE for at least this weekend - everything, survival mode, multiplayer mode...

Basically the server died under the weight of people trying to update, so now minecraft is legitimately free until it gets fixed

Thanks dark cloud, and thats not a bad idea. most players end up with rooms full of chests to keep their assorted junk in. Even more reason to extend your house

Comment

Minecraft is still free, although the Main site, forum and minecraft wiki are all suffering under more load they can handle right now. A victim of its own success.

The rock paper shotgun 'mine the gap' series sum up the experience in words far better than I ever could http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...the-gap-day-1/

This is a great trailer someone made

Comment

I hate you Snotty. I have averaged 4 hours of sleep a day this entire week.

Comment

Is this game a resource hog? And how long did you spend on any of those creations? It looks like a monumental time sink.
                              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                              X