Civ V I played it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ V I played it

So, I have been to the Gamescom in Cologne today, with some friends, some kind of E3, just with publishers for the german market (it goes till sunday btw. maybe someone is interested in going there ).
    Well, what did I detect in the booth of the publisher 2k? Civilization V, with several computers to play it.
    Due to time constraints I was just able to play 2 times for around 20-30 minutes, once with Augustus Caesar and the romans, the other times with Alexander and the greek (meaning I didn´t expand much above the starting position and not able to found a 2nd city after the 1st, or to complete the worker squads I put into the production queue [they took 52 turns to complete]), but it was informative nevertheless...
    Civ V more or less plays very similar to Civ IV...
    you have a similar environment and begin with a warrior and a settler unit.
    Tech goes, as usual, only till modern times and then future tech.

The new city screen is very informative, you can see every important information at a glance (gold/food/production, as well as city growth and cultrual growth). YOu also have the defensive rating of the city displayed as shield (dunno how large it can grow, but I alrfeady had 8 shields when rome still was a small city with just 2 citizens).
    One thing that is different is, that you can buy out new tiles outside of your cultural borders for gold (for example to get some important resource just outside of your realm).
    It is also much cheaper than buying new units at once...150 gold compared to, for example, 700 gold for a worker unit.
    Assigning citizens to tiles seems to be made automatically, with you being able to determine whether the citizens should concentrate on gold, production, food, culture and so on, and also check whether your city should allow further growth or not (dunno if you can also manually assign citizens to tiles...didn´t find a way, however)

As for diplomacy...
    as soon as another civ encounters you, a huge diplo window opens, with you being able to do a lot of thin gs already from the beginning on (like trading all kinds of resources, threatening the other civ and lots of other things).

Something that seems to be much more complex than before is social engineering. You now have much more options compared to Civ IV and they seem to unlock via culture.

Well, that´s all I remember for now...maybe that´s all there is, after all I never got much above the initial stage...if other things cross my mind, I might add them in later posts

All in all I liked what I saw.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"
Working...
X