Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 'feature' is most helpful for your playstyle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 'feature' is most helpful for your playstyle?

Venger's "the crutch for the weaker player" thread has made me think about which feature - wonders, government type, caravans, etc. helps me the most in winning a game.

I play mostly OCC games, and for those WLT*Ds are critical. It wouldn't matter much if I had all my science wonders and trade routes established, if I was still wallowing along with a pop of 9 or 10.

So what is most important for your games? Is it building railroads for quick conquest, or those happiness wonders that allow sprawling ICS empires. Or maybe its those caravans that you ship around after invention to give you discoveries every turn or two.

Against the AI, nothing is really all that important. All of the those "wonderful challanges" have proved that nothing matters as long as you understand the game.

We proved you can win with only one city...
    We proved you can win without any wonders...
    We proved you can win without ever attacking another Civ...
    We proved you can win without bribing cities...
    Fastest conquest... Fastest to space...
    It doesn't matter.

Now, in MP, that's a different story.
    The feature I think is the most helpful is good land with great trade specials.
    When it comes to wonders, any I can get is good too
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

We had this same thread awhile back, so it's good to revisit topics like this.

I would now say building a gazillion caravans/freights, but that's not a feature. So I guess it would be the disbanding of caravans/freights to build wonders. I got to the point of building all of my wonders (except for the first one - Colossus) all by caravans/freights. Is that a crutch?? Nahhh.

Comment

How about a 'random tech' challenge? Up until very recently, various cultures never tried to work toward a specific technology, they just 'blundered into them'. Why not attempt a game where, instead of deliberately choosing the next tech, you roll a die (or draw a card, or something)?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Interesting concept. It would probably only really hurt at the beginning of the game when you are trying to get out of despotism.
          It would indeed slow you down, but not put you out of the game.

After that, it might make you lose a wonder or two, but really shouldn't stop you from beating the stupid AI
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

What about winning the space race while never increasing the lux rate above 0%?

Comment

I used to play that way all the time...
              Communism is a great form of government...
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Howitzer

'nuff said

Comment

to be more specific. An actual feature would be the lousy AI. It really helps my horrible playstyle . I can take as long as I want building city improvements and still crush the AI.

Comment

Spoken like somebody that really understands Civ! ROTFLMAO
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 05-09-2000 07:14 PM
                      Communism is a great form of government...

------------------
                      Long live the Communists!
                      -- SilverDragon

Comment

In SP games Black Bart's posts cover it

in MP games Sun Tzu's or Great Wall (or both ) will ensure my civ's pathetic existance for a few extra centuries
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Single player is well explained by Ming.

Multiplayer?
                          There are alot of features and i do mean alot.
                          My personal favorite is pre-working settlers and instant forts.
                          My life, my rules

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Tom DeMille on 05-09-2000 02:26 PM
                            I play mostly OCC games, and for those WLT*Ds are critical.[quote]

Civ cripple!

[quote]It wouldn't matter much if I had all my science wonders and trade routes established, if I was still wallowing along with a pop of 9 or 10.

Let's facr it, you're already going outside the box on a OCC, you need whatever help you can get, WLTYYYD included...

quote:

So what is most important for your games? Is it building railroads for quick conquest, or those happiness wonders that allow sprawling ICS empires. Or maybe its those caravans that you ship around after invention to give you discoveries every turn or two.

I don't do spaceships, so I guess it'd be
                            Wonders. Anything that is Civ Wide - Pyramids, Magellan, Mike, Bach, Hoover, etc. are expecially helpful. I can deal with not getting many of these, but Deity large map conquest, it's nearly impossible without any, unless blessed with a good startup.

Venger

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Black Bart on 05-09-2000 07:17 PM
                              Howitzer

'nuff said

Pure genius.

Venger

Comment

Working...
                              X