Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7

I recently had to "upgrade" to Windows 7. My old Civ2 disc is incompatible. What do I have to do to make it work?

You should use Mastermindx Patch. You can find it here

Comment

If it's vanilla Civ2 (16-bit), MastermindX's patch isn't going to be of any use. It's only good for 32-bit versions of Civ2, ie, MGE and ToT. Currently, the only way around this problem seems to be virtualisation software (eg, Windows Virtual PC/Windows XP Mode, VMware and VirtualBox) or dual-booting with a 32-bit version of Windows. All except for Windows XP Mode (available for Windows 7 Professional or higher) will require a spare 32-bit Windows licence.

Edit: Of course all of this assumes that you've upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows 7. All versions of Civ2 are compatible with Windows 7 32-bit, so if your disc won't work with that OS, then it's another problem entirely and you'll need to provide more information than that.
      Last edited by Catfish; August 26, 2010, 02:18.
      Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Thanks, Catfish. I'm partial to vanilla Civ2, but I'm not about to buy a second Windows license, so I guess I will have to shift to MGE from now on. I can live with that. Thanks for making it clear, so I can stop fretting about it.

Comment

There are a few 3rd-party patches that may make MGE easier to live with:

Skyer's (aka Slava) Aggressive AI fix
          Timbatron's CPU fix (prevents Civ2 from using 100% of CPU resources 100% of the time)
          Till's CPU fix (an alternative to Tim's patch)
          Elys' Civ2 Unlimited (download in post #40)
          Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Just use VMWare and run it in windows XP or even windows 95 for nostalgic purposes.
            Tilting at windmills is a wonderful pastime.

Comment

How about running Civ II MGE or TOT on Windows 8.1 with 64 bit OS?

I cant run it, was hoping for a work around??

Thanks!

Gramps
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Try Dosbox
                "And the Light shone into the Darkness, but the Darkness did not understand..." John 1:5.

Comment

Originally posted by debeest View Post
                  I recently had to "upgrade" to Windows 7. My old Civ2 disc is incompatible. What do I have to do to make it work?
                  Firstly I'd rip your CD to an ISO image; optical media aint great at lasting.

Secondly I'd suggest if you have the original Civ2 like I do, use DOSBox. Install Windows 3.11 and then run Civ2 for that. It's pretty much designed for Windows 3.11 instead of 95 anyway (the interface is Win3-like).
                  === Jez ===

Comment

Originally posted by Le Fiancee View Post
                    Try Dosbox
                    That is what I would do.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Although Civ2 works in Win95, its GUI was actually more designed for Windows 3.1. I run the latest DOSBox SVN, fire up Windows 3.1 with a high resolution (by its standards) - S3 Trio64V 1280x1024 256 color, then install and run Civilization 2 with the CD ISO mounted. 90000 cycles. Works well.
                      === Jez ===

Comment

Win7 allows you to install Microsoft's Windows Virtual PC and then you can run Civ in XP mode.

Comment

Working...
                        X