No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eugh, thank you Reds for ruining my accumulator by not being able to beat the Rebels by a respectable margin.

Leceister do the business in the LV. I was really surprised that the bookies had Leceister at 5/1 to win.

Comment

• Well, it was a shadow team, and Bath had been doing well in the comp.

Wales ain't going to get past France playing like that, which is basically how they played against England - bosh it up, bosh it up, and when you can't get past a strong defence, keep boshing it up. It doesn't help that Priestland is playing like a busted a*sehole but there's just no finesse, no guile. All very one note. Italy defended very well. Nothing new in that. Mirco B has turned into a caricature of himself and has to go in favour of the kid who was dropped for him. Botes has to start, either at 9 or 10, I don't care. He brings some spark.

I've tipped Ireland next, even without their talisman lock. Fingers crossed.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Ireland Vs Scotland

The Irish coped well with our pack and totally dominated our backs - they were very comfortable for much of the game.

The worst moments included anytime Max Evans was involved - his game was summed up well by the events surrounding the yellow card. The no-arms tackle by S. Lamont that led to a try was also dire as was the decision to kick a penalty right after Ireland had been given a last warning for repeated infringements. Obviously losing Jones to a head clash was a low moment, but he, like Hogg had very little involvement in the game otherwise. Hogg has looked our most dangerous back this 6 Nations and yet for much of the game he was invisible except for knocking on high balls.

Perhaps Scotland should just field a team comprised entirely of forwards?

Anyhow, full credit to Ireland they kicked their points well and scored tries without really having to exert themselves. In the last 10 minutes they really showed who was boss.

Next weekend will decide whether Robinson should stay or go. A loss to Italy would seal it.

Comment

• I didn't see much of the matches (was playing this afternoon, so I caught glimpses of Wales/Italy on a flanker's phone after my match (15-0 for us, quarterfinal won), then I saw most of Ireland/Scotland but had to leave the pub to go home because of train schedules).
          Dupuy/Beauxis isn't a weird selection by PSA. They played together at Stade Français, so they know each other, and Beauxis has got a really huge kick which I expect to see used a lot early in the game. Trinh-Duc just doesn't kick as well or as much. Rougerie is lucky to be still there after his match against Ireland.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• They should put on special trains for rugby players. And build stations not beside the pub but inside the pub. Beside the rugby player's stool. So he - or she, in the case of women's rugby - only has to roll off the stool, into the carriage, and home they go. Where their wives - or husbands - await them with rolling pins. And not to roll pastry with.

I know Dupuy and Beauxis played together, know each other's games. And I know Beauxis has a huge boot. But that's about all he has. And Dupuy isn't in Parra's class. Disappointing selection.

One of the Irish commentators got it right about Scotland. The most frustrating team to watch. There's a lot of individual talent in that team, and at least one immense talent - Richie Gray, and I bet you can't wait to see him at Sale, kOc - but it doesn't amount to a hill of beans if it's not unlocked and Turnip clearly can't do it. Same old story really. Dominated the first twenty minutes, massive possession, never looked like breaking the line. They rack up massive passing stats going sideways behind the gain line. In fact, Gray, a lock, was the only one who ever did break the line. Turnip, spinning as ever, said they had rhythm in the first half but couldn't find it in the second half, ignoring the fact that they never ever threatened the Irish defence. Sad. The talent in this Scotland team need a coach who can take them forward. Ireland didn't miss POC and SOB, their replacements performing grandly. Not a complete Ireland effort, and Kidney's subs of the halves was pointless and pre-planned, but a good effort in the injury circumstances regardless.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Well, there you go. Dupuy succeeded only in confusing his teammates. Beauxis, picked for his boot, presumably to play a territory game, used it mainly to launch poor up-and-unders. What was your thinking PSA? Was there a French game plan? England capitalised well, didn't create anything, were far the better team on the day in terms of everyone knowing what everyone else was doing, and hung on well. For the very very brief periods that France got their act together, they looked the better rugby team. But they often do. I don't think Lancaster's the man for the England job but I can hear the clamouring for him now. Selfishly, I'd love to see him in the job. For English rugby, someone more experienced and sophisticated.

Comment

• Finally I win some bets.

Had money on Manu and Foden scoring tries...repairing some of the damage I've been taking for the last few weeks.

Another very close game, but the right team won as France needed the lose in order to develop. I don't understand why France persist with Beauxis and Tranny-duke, they're quite simply dreadful and out and out the worst players on the French team time and time again.

Comment

• T-D is better than Beauxis, he's the closest thing to a creative 10 the French have. Parra, Yachvilli - and even you and me - are better than Dupuy.

Comment

• We simply don't have an better 10 out there.
                    I think many of the fly halves playing in France are foreigners (Wilko, James, McIntyre - there are others). Young players like Bézy don't get much play time.
                    France defense was apalling. The number of missed tackles in the beginning of the match was just catastrophic. England played well the few opportunities they had, but two of their three tries were really gifts from the opposition. Their scrum was strong, and their lineout performed very well, which sealed the match with a few balls stolen to the French lineout that definitely helped.
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Yes, the defence was poor. And there I was saying Wales would run into the same strong defence they did against England and Italy. The French just looked out of sorts all day. They often looked totally clueless with ball in hand, just tossing it around.

I forgot to mention how nice it was to see Crofty back in some form. Lineout steals, cover defence, and the solo effort for the try was classic Croft.

Comment

• Indeed. But I would like to see it in a Tigers shirt soon too.

I had an enjoyable weekend really as I managed to watch Tigers B squeeze out Bath A at the Rec friday night. Now it is an all East Midlands final!

Whilst two English tries might arguably have been gifted don't underestimate what it took to finish the Tuilagi and Foden tries - there was work left to do after the French mistakes.

I'm still in the Mallett camp - this defend until the oppostion make mistakes approach will not trouble the SANZAR sides.

For Scotland I think Denton has the same potential as Gray. But I do agree turnip is the wrong man in the wrong job. I'd say tempt McGeechan back but he was in the same kind of bizarre self denial after the game friday - Tigers only won one phase of play apparently. But it was an important one as it was the scoreboard.
                        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• No doubt work was needed to nail the tries. The point, though, is that they're not generating try-scoring opportunities. They will struggle to with that Sarries midfield. Does Farrell Snr come with the Lancaster package? If Lancaster is appointed, will Farrell Snr be too? If so, I think you'll be stuck with the Sarries midfield for a while yet.

Denton and Gray are only two of the bright young talents. Yet the team are making the same old same old same old mistakes. There's a message there somewhere.

Comment

• Sack turnip?

I think Farrell senior is only on loan from Sarries - the RFU would need to negotiate his release. The thing is I would struggle to name a creative 12 to replace the defensive roadblock. Allen is as good as anyone in that regard really (and brings the club combination). But then I haven't seen the age groups sides or much of the saxons this year.

Certainly in the short term the 13 shirt is Manu's unless he suffers injury.

mallett is the ambitious forward looking option. Lancaster the English option (by which I mean appointing him is easy and a reward for moderate achievement - very English). I do admire the team spirit Lancaster has instilled but the rugger leaves much to be desired.

Oh I finally got to re-watch the Glaws game on Saturday. How I mistook Waldrom sliding inot touch for Salvi is beyond me. The plastic skips in my hands at the time may have had an influence there. I got to see all the contrviersial aspects of the tries - but what struck me most was how disinterested Glaws were throughout. Most bizarre.

*edit* What did you make of the Franco-Irish referee in Paris Finbar and what was your take on the yellow card?
                            Last edited by Havak; March 12, 2012, 11:21.
                            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Rolland is erratic at the best of times. There are a lot of accusations of bias - against England - flying around but that's rubbish. He is what he is - erratic. And I think that summed up his performance. I don't rate him highly for that reason. I had the BBC coverage through Sky Italy but there didn't seem to be any replay of what brought about the penalty to France after Rougerie tackled (from memory) Foden. Someone obviously overly remonstrated. Or not. What exactly happened? I thought the yellow fair enough. It was a definite slap down. I didn't think Fofana's was. I thought Sharples looked a bit out of his depth - nerves perhaps - and, I have to say, tackle-shy. I haven't seen him enough to know his defensive capabilities.

And Deano to Newcastle. What happens if they do down? Presumably he goes with them. Didn't he bring Quins back into the Premiership? Shame that Bloodgate will probably taint him for ever and a day.
                              Last edited by finbar; March 13, 2012, 03:53. Reason: Failing memory, just to go along with the other failing body parts

Comment

• Sharples is weak defensively. As it traditional for a Gloucester back these days. I felt Fofana's punt was an equally obvious deliberate knock out myself and think it underlined the point you make - erratic.

After Rougerie followed through on Foden the increasingly petulant Mr Ashton mildly remonstrated with him (and Croft then interposed himself between them). It was pretty strange to give France a penalty for something that really was nothing.

I didn't think he was biased - just pretty darn poor. We know that wherever there is a hint of controversy the IRB will keep picking an official - it is why they constantly give Rolland French games and Steve Walsh England games of course.

Oh and massive respect to the French tight head who pulled the scrum around and convinced Rolland his loose head partner - masacred by Cole all game long in the scrum - had suddenly managed to push Dan round, Dark coal face arts at their finest.

Comment

Working...
                                X