No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish players would stop publicly endorsing coaches while appointment processes are underway. They are often the worst-placed to offer an opinion. Witness those who urged the retention of J****. More, what happens if the players' urging is ignored, if someone other than their preference is appointed? Pull your heads in, chaps.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Lancaster apparently has the job according to the BBC. Congrats to him. I have reservations. I think there's been a groundswell of optimism and goodwill based on one good performance against a dreadful Ireland and a couple of very ordinary ones. That the ordinary performances resulted in wins - against the two lowest-ranked teams - distorts England's overall 6N performance. I hope the RFU haven't been blinded. I fear they have. It will be interesting to see who ends up in the support team.

Meanwhile, the #1 ranked cricket team in the world manages to contrive to lose to what amounts to a club-level bowling attack.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• As they always do anywhere on that sub-continent.

They actually won four games, two of them well but I do take your point. And it won't take long to expose him in RSA I suspect.

I prefer to maul to the bar these days which is why I generally go to the ground with a veteran lock, number 8 and a centre whose tops 6'2". I just peel off at the last moment and pop the pill (one of their liberated wallets) on the bar.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Clark pleaded guilty and has been suspended from the sport for 32 weeks: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17487713

He won't miss that much rugby given that it runs through the summer. Perhaps what is more significant is that his card is marked - any more nonsense and he'll be treated exceptionally harshly as he has form.

Comment

• Yet another argument for suspensions to be tied to games rather than a period of time.

I prefer to maul to the bar these days which is why I generally go to the ground with a veteran lock, number 8 and a centre whose tops 6'2". I just peel off at the last moment and pop the pill (one of their liberated wallets) on the bar.
            Only to be held up over the bar. Scrum to you and your party on the five metre line. You might need to re-think your tactics.

Comment

• Once I have my elbows on the bar Hercules himself could not hold me up however.
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Maybe you guys knew this already.

The Scottish Head Coach played for England and the English Head Coach played for Scotland.

Comment

• Age level for Lancaster I think (so non-cap and non-committed as a senior).

Andy Robinson was one of the best flankers of the late amateur era. A Bath man of course.

Comment

• I just watched the Bulls and Stormers knocking lumps off each other. Brutal stuff. Pity the Bulls waste so much of their possession roosting the ball. Hullo Morne Steyn.

Beats me what happened to Sale the other night. I checked the scores online at one stage and they were comfortably up. Check next morning and the roles were reversed.

Not entirely sure how Quins managed to beat Sarries with so many yellow cards against them. Well, I do, actually. Colossal Quins defence - at least two critical try-saving tackles - and Sarries, despite numerical advantage, couldn't score tries. It's that Sarries shortcoming that is going to haunt England, I fear.

Comment

• I regret not watching Saracens Vs Harlequins...sounds quite the game and in front of such a vast audience too (which I think helps encourage players to commit more of themselves to the game). The Harlequins coach was praising George Lowe - what do you guys know about him? As an outside center he is in England's problem position.

As for my gambling this week - the Saracens result makes it a complete write off. Rugby sure is unpredicatable, which is a good thing tbh.

Comment

• It was a cracker of a match. Some of the Quins' defence was astonishing. Lowe had a fine game. Scored a try and saved one with a terrific tackle into touch right on the line. I didn't know a lot about him till I looked him up. He's represented England at U20 level and scored tries. Actually I think 12 is England's problem spot rather than 13. Not to mention 10.

There were some very strange Top 14 results, kOc. All home wins except for Toulouse over Stade. Lyon beating B-B is just inexplicable.

Comment

• Inexplicable double post.

Comment

• So incisive you needed to say it twice maybe?

I know very little about Lowe beyond what Finbar looked up. To play 13 he needs to displace Manu so he either needs to offer something very different or to be very very good. I wonder if he can play 12? Doesn't Turner-Hall hold that shirt at Quins?

As good a match as that apparently was can you imagine how annoyed both those sides will be should they draw Tigers and lose in the play offs? Lets hope it happens (I have no huge affection for either of these 'London' franchises). Where is are is remarkable given where we were after round 6 (only Falcons below us).

Comment

• Turner-Hall is the incumbent 12. Having looked into it further, Lowe was injured late last year. Matt Hopper took his spot. That's why I saw Hopper and not Lowe in all the Quins games I saw. Hopper isn't without talent either - straight into the Quins team from Cornish Pirates - but his defence is nowhere near as solid as Lowe's.

Leicester, if they put it together, should handle Sarries. Quins, though, have added an enormous amount of character to their game. Their commitment against Sarries was outstanding, almost a 16th man. Handy when, briefly, they were down to 13 men. Their scrum, usually a weakness, also bothered Sarries, though that may be down to the increasingly useless Matt Stevens.

Comment

• Cripes, Wasps out of jail again. How soft are Glaws? And poor old Newcastle. Cannot take a trick.

Comment

Working...
                                X