Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Ecco!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

I thought they played cricket in Heaven?
    "

Comment

Only as half-time entertainment at the rugby.

Top AB effort today made easier by some idiotic Wallaby play. The Wallabies didn't win a single restart, handing the ABs mainly easy possession. The Wallabies missed far too many first-up tackles, letting the ABs cross the gainline time and again. Solid second half from the Wallabies, one man down, but the damage had already been done and the ABs were cruising. I don't think it helps the Wallaby cause that skipper Rocky is obviously a doer rather than a thinker. No on-field answers to the restart problem were forthcoming and there should have been.

The yellow card farce continued. An AB prop carded for a shoulder charge that wasn't, Drew Mitchell carded for the same offence, that no-one saw, the ref telling him it was the same thing the All Black did. Meaning in all likelihood that it probably wasn't worthy of a yellow. When Mitchell was carded later for time-wasting, it became a red card. Very costly. Later, the ref and touchie combined to tell McCaw that one of his players would have been carded for a dangerous tackle if they'd seen his number. Replays showed it didn't remotely resemble a dangerous tackle. Some sort of directive has been issued for this TN series and it's getting out of hand.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Damn! A new rugby thread. True the old one's title was getting old.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

The old one would have been relevant again in about five months' time but that's a long wait.

Comment

Nice title, but Havak will likely complain that it sounds "too Welsh".
            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by finbar View Post
              Only as half-time entertainment at the rugby.

Top AB effort today made easier by some idiotic Wallaby play. The Wallabies didn't win a single restart, handing the ABs mainly easy possession. The Wallabies missed far too many first-up tackles, letting the ABs cross the gainline time and again. Solid second half from the Wallabies, one man down, but the damage had already been done and the ABs were cruising. I don't think it helps the Wallaby cause that skipper Rocky is obviously a doer rather than a thinker. No on-field answers to the restart problem were forthcoming and there should have been.

The yellow card farce continued. An AB prop carded for a shoulder charge that wasn't, Drew Mitchell carded for the same offence, that no-one saw, the ref telling him it was the same thing the All Black did. Meaning in all likelihood that it probably wasn't worthy of a yellow. When Mitchell was carded later for time-wasting, it became a red card. Very costly. Later, the ref and touchie combined to tell McCaw that one of his players would have been carded for a dangerous tackle if they'd seen his number. Replays showed it didn't remotely resemble a dangerous tackle. Some sort of directive has been issued for this TN series and it's getting out of hand.
              I had to admire the tenacity of the Wallabies in the second half. They showed real spirit - after camping on the All Black's line and being denied a try by the TMO they still persevered till they got over the line. Good stuff.

This was the first time I've been able to watch an entire rugby match on TV in years - what a match to start with! The first half left me gasping for breath!

Comment

For the title to be Welsh it would have to read: "The Game They Play In Heaven, Boyo".

Yes, the Wallabies were strong in the second half but the damage had well and truly been done. Their rugby was simply naive. Carter's restarts were pin-point. They were short, letting his forwards arrive in time to compete. The Wallabies never woke up to the simple strategy. At the same time, their restarts were all deep, handing possession to the ABs.

It has to be said, though, that the ABs are currently at the top of their game. No team in the world would live with them at the moment. So the question is why did the Wallabies aid and abet the AB cause?

Comment

It still sounds a little too Welsh for my taste.

The ABs are playing some great rugby right now - which I guess suggests that they won't win their home RWC next year? It's tradition for them to be favourites and lose to Australia or France?

(only having a little fun Kiwis - the ABs are red hot favourites for the cup)

As for the cricket - pakistan were skittled in their second innings for less than they skittled OZ earlier in July!

It gives England false hope for the Ashes....
                  Last edited by Havak; August 2, 2010, 04:01.
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Here's Drew Mitchell's first yellow card offence - "a late tackle without use of the arms on McCaw" - via You Tube. With his later yellow for time-wasting resulting in a red, he missed most of the second half. As I said yesterday, the yellow cards in this TN series have become farcical.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

"

Comment

Born in Wales and yet he defeated Owain Glyndŵr. Not a hero to the Welsh I would suggest.

McCaw was simply off balance - a truly shocking carding. The problem is if a new directive has been issued are we going to see this all through the autumn?
                        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

You should try to find the ABs' Owen Franks' yellow for the same "offence". He had his arms out to tackle Richard Brown, mistimed it, Brown bounced off his chest, and he got ten minutes. I suspect it's a directive for the season unless someone points out the fecking stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar View Post
                            It has to be said, though, that the ABs are currently at the top of their game. No team in the world would live with them at the moment. So the question is why did the Wallabies aid and abet the AB cause?
                            Perhaps they were just unlucky in that they were the first ones to test the referee's directives from on high. But the ABs got pinged too...I guess they learned from it and the Wallabies didn't - not till Mitchell got his red card anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Havak View Post
                              The ABs are playing some great rugby right now - which I guess suggests that they won't win their home RWC next year? It's tradition for them to be favourites and lose to Australia or France?

(only having a little fun Kiwis - the ABs are red hot favourites for the cup)
                              You may be funning, but the English (you know, manic depressive/pessimist) side of me fears the worst. Graham Henry is getting great results for now, but I remember he did the same with Wales and then...crash. I'm waiting to see when the ABs Henry-induced crash will come - probably about this time next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X