No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have to let go of the Steve Walsh thing, you really do. He was one of the better refs at the WC and hasn't done England down on the field. Off the sauce, he's rectified his personality problems and he's proving to be one of the better refs around.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• How could I hold my head up in public amongst England fans if I were to forgive Steve simply because he has turned his life around and is actually a fairly decent referee these days? No the only way to redemption for Steve is for him to red card XV welshmen next time England play them.

Seriously I don't have a problem with Steve anymore - sobriety sits well on him.

My point was that in order to support their officials the IRB will always appoint them to games where mud has previously been thrown in their direction regarding one of the participating sides. Rolland - no doubt unfairly - draws attention for his French parent. Naturally he therefore helms quite a lot of games involving France. It is the IRB way.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• In Rolland's case, vis-a-vis the French, I wonder whether it's the language thing. He and Barnes are the only ones who speak French. Rolland better than Barnes, obviously, though Barnes tries hard. I must draw up a list of the Italian rugby terminology for the IRB's ref panel.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• What is the Italian for "oh god the backs messed it up again"?

I'm sure in all seriousness language plays a part. It has always seemed unfair that France supply us the likes of Poite and Garces with fairly decent English in that melodic French way and we give them Dave Pearson and his dulcet Northumbrian tones. It would also be nice to see an Italian ref break into the mens A list tournaments.

I also see Barnes originates from the Forest of Dean. An interesting place, very closeknit one might say.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• That will explain the absence of a chin on the Barnes face.

In extremely crude terms, that would otherwise be bleeped out of existence on this forum: "Cazzo! La fottuta linea arretrata ha fatto cazzate di nuovo!" So next time you're at Welford Road and one of the backs screws something up, bellow it out. Here it is phonetically: "Cadzo! La fot-too-ta lee-naya ar-ray-trar-ta ar far-toe cad-zartay dee noo-o-vo!" In short, "F*** it! The f****** backline has f***** it up again!"Hopefully the match will be on Sky Italy and I'll hear you.

Comment

• I'll give it a go. It is a bit vowel heavy for me when on the sauce.

Comment

• At least Castro will get your drift. He'll probably be saying it along with you.

Comment

• Six Nations: Wales dominate shortlist for best player
                  Wales have dominated the Six Nations player of the championship shortlist with four players nominated.

No England players were nominated, despite three wins in their four matches including a victory at World Cup runners-up France.

Wales captain Sam Warburton, flanker Dan Lydiate, wing Alex Cuthbert and scrum-half Mike Phillips made the list.

Scotland's David Denton and Ross Rennie and Ireland's Jonny Sexton and Donnacha Ryan were also nominated.

Three French players were included - Julien Malzieu, Yoann Maestri and Imanol Harinordoquy - along with Italy captain Sergio Parisse.

All players winning man-of-the-match awards during the first four rounds of the Championship were automatically placed in contention for the award.

Fans can vote for their player of the championship on the website of Six Nations sponsors RBS . Voting will remain open until midnight on Sunday, 18 March.
                  Wales dominate the shortlist for Six Nations player of the championship with four players, while no England players are nominated.

Why wasn't Richie Gray nominated? Richie has been excellent in every game and I've yet to notice him mess anything up. Love Denton, but he did mess up receiving a kick-off against Wales that ultimately led to Wales scoring. Love Rennie, but he messed up a rather simple 2 on 1. Richie has been simply awesome.

Comment

• I will have the honour of being present at the Millennium Stadium for the potential grand slam winning game, though I must say that France with nothing to play for represents that sort of quixotic potential to pull out a stormer of a game and handily defeat us. Let's remember that one of France's greatest victories was here in the 2007 WC against the All Blacks...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
                      Why wasn't Richie Gray nominated? Richie has been excellent in every game and I've yet to notice him mess anything up. Love Denton, but he did mess up receiving a kick-off against Wales that ultimately led to Wales scoring. Love Rennie, but he messed up a rather simple 2 on 1. Richie has been simply awesome.
                      The list is fairly meaningless because it consists of the MOTM winners thus far. Thus Warburton appears as a contender for player of the tournament having played one game. On top of which, MOTM awards are decided by different media commentators, using their own personal criteria, and sometimes whims, so there's no benchmark standard. Ultimately, with the public vote, the so-called player of the tournament boils down to a popularity contest. If there's to be a credible player of the tournament award it should be judged by one expert panel viewing the tournament as a whole.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                        I will have the honour of being present at the Millennium Stadium for the potential grand slam winning game, though I must say that France with nothing to play for represents that sort of quixotic potential to pull out a stormer of a game and handily defeat us. Let's remember that one of France's greatest victories was here in the 2007 WC against the All Blacks...
                        Your presence alone will jinx the Welsh!

Comment

• We hope.

Just to back Finbars point the man of the match in France-England was Imanol Harinordoquoy because the host broadcaster selected it. He had a decent game certainly - but not MOTM material. After all Croft nutmegged him and Rougerie to effectively win the game.

Who knows with France - when they took the field in the the RWC final last year they had the worst record in the tournament of any finalists ever. And they then played rather decently. It's the old question of which France turns up. The worst thing Gatland could do now is make one of his regular public brainf**ts criticising France or the French?

*edit* Flood clearly cannot be fit. Tigers have rested him for the last two weeks so he clearly needs the break (he did as I say look slow and hesistant against Glaws). George Ford turns 19 today so no longer a "baby" fly half.
                          Last edited by Havak; March 16, 2012, 09:25.

Comment

• This weekend I'm guessing away wins for Scotland, Ireland and France.

It'll be interesting to see where Scotland are in relation to Italy.

In terms of England Vs Ireland. Ireland simply have better players.

Wales Vs France. The French have under-performed greatly, I'm not yet willing to accept that Wales are awesome. Sure they have some amazing players, but I'm totally unconvinced by Priestland and their pack lets their opponents see alot of the ball. They're not as good as some make out. They should have lost to Ireland and but for some really dodgy refereeing, they would have. Against England it was exceptionally tight and until Scotland imploded (not under pressure, but because of the stupidity of a few players) the Welsh weren't looking too hot. I can see the French waking up this weekend and actually setting out to establish a good lead rather than sitting back till things look desperate.

Perhaps I'm crazy...well, I am backing a Rebels win on Sunday

Comment

• kOc, if the Rebels can't win that game they will never ever win a game.

I've gone Italy, Ireland and France. For my sins.

Comment

• Oh come on!

This is getting ridiculous - The Western Force held on to beat the Waratahs 20-21 - and is clear proof that rugby is fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X