No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, at the whim, yet again, of the market maniacs. Chee, Italy's been a fiscal basket case for 25 years. Hardly surprising given that it hosts the biggest black economy in the world with virtually no one paying tax. No matter what you buy at the local tobacconist, you get a receipt for €3.50. No one pays tax because they see their hard-earned being wasted on the circus that is Rome - the most politicians per head of population in the EU, and by far the highest paid. Interestingly, the banks here are very solid because they're so conservative there was next to no involvement with the sub-prime debacle. Equally interestingly, Italians are amongst the highest personal savers in the world as well as amongst the lowest in terms of personal debt. And ranked amongst the highest in outright home ownership. Any austerity package the government tries to pass - if it comes to that - will be largely ignored by the populace. Life will roll on as it has for a couple of thousand years. One of the many charms of the place.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• It's a lovely place Finbar without a doubt. That said the endemic tax evasion of the populace rankles with me - I meet my social responsibilities.

Still those austerity measures are coming (and probably a bail out too) and the collapse of the state economy will lead to changes to that idyllic existent whether Italians like it or not.

The EU is a train wreck - the sooner the UK withdraws the happier I will be.

*Have you seen anything of Julian Salvi Finbar? The Brumbies flanker we have just signed to cover the serious injury to Craig Newby
      Last edited by Havak; July 13, 2011, 09:00.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• We meet our social responsibilities here. We also stick to the speed limit. We're unique. The EU was always a train wreck waiting to happen, whether socially or fiscally.

Salvi had a season at Bath before returning to the Brumbies this (past) season. He was impressive for Bath the times I saw him and always did well for the Brumbies. His problem at the Brumbies was that he was stuck behind the likes of Rocky and George Smith. Not overly big but one of those immensely mobile flankers with good hands and skills. He will do well. Excellent pedigree, former Australian schoolboys and U21 skipper, but has never really threatened for a Wallaby spot.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• In my limited experience driving standards (and speed limit compliance) improved in Italy the further north I was. Rome frankly matches Paris for the insanity of it's drivers.

I perhaps didn't mean to be as globally offensive to the Italians as it sounded. It's just that I see tax evasion as a national sport in some countries - most notably Italy and Spain perhaps - and my own moral compass is that paying taxes is a social responsibility. The huge bastions of tax evasion in the UK are business (all business) and the super rich - the poor fools on PAYE keep this country going.

Anyhoo - Salvi sounds like a good signing. I also see Smits is off to Sarries after the RWC. Whilst I cannot argue with their championship - they beat us three times after all - I truly hope their nascent era proves short lived. Their whole setup leaves me rather cold and I see little off the field to respect there.

*Matthew Tait has finally been confirmed as a Tiger. The club were being cautious waiting for medical reports on his rehab from injury. He has been training with them since before the end of last season.
          Last edited by Havak; July 14, 2011, 07:25.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I look on the bright side. Tax issues aside, Italy's ruling rugby body is made to look sophisticated, enlightened and supreme in the governance department compared to England's. While your Parliament - finally! - is going after the pariah Murdoch, they should do the same to the RFU.

My only fear for Matt Tait at Leicester is that he's going to be, yet again, backline odd-job man. It has hamstrung his career thus far and will continue to. He's better than that.

Comment

• I didn't miss - and did rather enjoy - the market maniacs reference btw Finbar.

Having shipped out Hipkiss it does look like the club are planning to rotate Manu and tait in the 13 shirt - so maybe Taiti will get the run he needs in his prefered position to re-establish himself.

And as for that Aussie ex-pat it seems to be open season on him with the US feds now taking an interest. A lot of chickens are coming home to roost with this gilt edged opening he has given politicians in the UK and US.

And you are correct about the RFU of course - shambolic does not even begin to describe it.

Comment

• I see Brooks has now resigned - to be replaced by the man who had been heading News Corps Italian interests.

Which somewhat sums up a lot of peoples concerns about News Corps - they have a presence everywhere.

l

Comment

• He heads up Sky Italy, which is about their only interest here. Believe it or not, Sky Italy are - relatively speaking - the good guys of Italian broadcasting. Of course it helps that they let me watch rugby I'd never have seen in Australia.

Comment

• The Rugby Football Union (RFU) have insisted that hosts New Zealand are happy for England to wear a new all-black away kit at the World Cup.
                    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14166521.stm

1. Black is for the All Blacks, White or Red is suitable for England.
                    2. Didn't they already cash in with that purple England away strip? Now Black? Greedy.

Comment

• An all-black away strip? You'd call it provocative if you could persuade yourself the RFU had the nouse to hatch such a plot.

Meanwhile, the Wallabies paid the price for fielding a midweek team against Samoa. The thing is, Samoa have been playing some fine rugby recently. They thumped Japan in the Pacific Nations Cup a week or so ago. With their confidence up, they're going to cause some serious problems in the WC. Look out Wales. They smashed the Wallabies at the breakdown - not always legally - and in tackles and counter attacked brilliantly. A number of Wallaby debutants and second-stringers were found seriously wanting.

Comment

• And to be fair neither of those are a real surpise to me as:

1) I only expect the Wallabies to field one competitive world class XV
                        2) The RFU ARE greedy.

I understand that the black strip has been cleared with the host Union (as a courtesy) and will only be worn in one pool game. Plus it basically gives the hosts more grist to the mill in terms of criticising them for under performance (I could write the headlines now I suspect - variations of disgracing the black?).

*Great try by Tuilagi. Caught some highlights via Tigers facebook link - the Wallabies sure did not look like the "number two side in the world".
                        Last edited by Havak; July 18, 2011, 07:42.

Comment

• Also interesting to me - on repeated viewing it does seem that the last Aussie try scorer is receiving the ball from a player that appears to be in touch when he ships the ball. Must be an optical illusion caused by TV being a 2D medium.

Comment

• No, I think you were actually watching Dan Luger's career highlights reel. Odd that you mistook white for gold (or wattle or whatever the heck the colour is these days).

Comment

• I very nearly namechecked Mr Luger with regards to the situation but I didn't want to make it too easy for you.

Comment

• Big difference between the Wallaby team and the midweekers. The Wallabies have about 17 very good - or potentially very good - players. Makes life difficult. The Bok B team were rubbish to the extent that the Wallaby scrum dominated. Problem is, like last season, the Wallabies started wonderfully, carried it into the second half, but couldn't or wouldn't close out the oppo. The further the games goes the more risks they take, throwing 20-80 passes, giving away possession, giving the oppo a chance. They need a hard-headed skipper instead of a thick-headed one, someone to declare when enough is enough. It's going to cost them. Sh*ts me enormously, particularly when my fallback team is Italy.

Comment

Working...
                                X