No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the NZ franchises still run a closed shop Finbar - local franchises for local people? Kind of limits Brand Haskells options? Still I was prepared to give him a chance when he escaped the insects - now he is heading back to them I couldn't care less about him once again.

Are Farce still big spender or does all the ARU (or SANZAR?) support now go into Rebels?

Saracens and Wasps - two sides whose utter dissolution would not trouble me in the slightest.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The Kiwis had already amended the rules to allow one foreigner per franchise with tough restrictions. This season they were allowed two with the same restrictions. No franchise has recruited a foreigner. They don't seem to be interested.

The Force have been financially independent for a while. Though any of the Australian franchises can apply to the ARU for top-up money to help sign/retain key players. If the ARU doesn't think the player is worth it, they don't cough up. The Rebels are backed by the Melbourne Business Establishment who have bottomless pockets. The Rebels would easily be the richest SH franchise or, at least, have the most reserves to call on.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Interesting. I would assume S15 has no salary cap?

And by foreigner I assume the Kiwi franchises mean players non-qualified through residency, birth or reciprocal arrangements? You know that tradiitonal caveat that now lets England field any darn nationaility they might care to (but most notably Boks).

Ben Youngs has had cartilage trimmed in his left knee btw. Knees are the bane of most scrummys lives.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I don't know about the others but the Australian franchises will have a cap of about $4.5 million next season, reducing to around $4 million the season after. There's also a reduced squad size - from memory 30 core players plus a handful of rookie contracts. The Waratahs already want the 30 player limit increased after their massive injury toll this season. They were raiding club rugby towards the end of the season. The Reds suffered just as badly - at one stage late in the season they were missing their entire starting backline - but don't seem to be protesting that I've heard.

Yes, the Kiwis mean non-qualified in those terms. That English loophole doesn't exist in the SH.

So Youngs with a good knee now just needs to learn how to play when his pack and forwards aren't rampant. He really does need to watch Will Genia in action. The Reds' forwards are strong in the loose but rubbish in the set piece. That's why the Crusaders should roll them next weekend.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Worth a bet on your call there perhaps? I wonder who kOc will be punting on?

In order to improve behind a reversing pack Ben needs more experience doing so - and he doesn't get that often enough. S15 might do him good - certain franchises that is.

Kolpak might not exist for NZ and Aus but naturalisation certainly does and has been used frequently, as has the small percentage of genes qualification and various other England-esque wriggles (I still fondly recall the Bok U21 skipper becoming Australian). Nothing from SANZAR or England to match grannygate in Wales or any number of Kilted Kiwis of course.

And does anyone remember Jason Jones-Hughes?

Comment

• It is going to take alot of thought and consideration. My gut instinct is Reds, but that does mean discounting some of the advantages the Crusaders have over them.

Comment

• Forwards aside - in the set piece - there are many potentially very interesting contests. Both defences can be outstanding, both back rows are very strong (the Crusaders stronger), massive speed and great skill in the Reds' backline, massive size and skill in the Crusaders' centres. Quade Cooper utterly bamboozled the Blues' defence last week - there were a couple of dreadful defensive lapses, too, to be fair - but I do fear that the Reds rely on him too much. The games they've lost this season - not many - have been a result of Cooper not being able to do his thing. They proved not to have other options. The Crusaders usually do.

Comment

• I have to back Crusaders given that they are our feeder club.

Comment

• Thus in one sentence was English rugby condemned.

Comment

• The Reds got away with one. The Crusaders were, by their standards, off the pace, kept in the game by their defence, their forwards and a generous ref at the breakdown. He let them get away with murder but then most refs do. Their attack was disjointed, handling poor, and they looked stuffed in the last 15 minutes. They did succeed in heavily pressuring the Genia-Cooper combo which frustrated them enormously. Not the pair's finest hour. Apart from Genia's solo try. Lovely stuff.

Comment

• And it also reinforces why I don't bet. So Reds as Super Rugby champions - truly anything can happen in the game.

Comment

• As RWC 2003 proved. No real surprises in the Wallaby extended TN squad. No Stirling Mortlock. Age and injury have reduced his potency. He's a willing trier for the Rebels these days. The worry is Berrick Barnes' ongoing concussion problems. He hasn't been selected in the squad in order that he rests. Barring further problems he will be in the WC squad but, sadly, one more concussion will probably see his retirement.

Comment

• All I remember RWC2003 for for is the total lack of grace or respect from the host nations PM to the victors. Or indeed to anyone who was not Australian. Situation normal therefore.

As for Barnes that would be sad - but you don't take repeated chances with your brain bouncing off your skull.

Comment

• Thats' why I moved to a civilised country. You should try it, too.

Comment

• I can't afford it.

*ironically I see your adopted home is now under threat of needing a bail out from it's fellow EU members.

Comment

Working...
                                X