No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am in danger of becoming excited that good times may be in store for club and country then.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Club, possibly; country, not with the current mindset.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• A very strong performance by England in the Junior World Cup Final against New Zealand. However, a few stupid decisions by no more than three players resulted in a close defeat (no. 15 being charged down being the worst as it clearly wasn't on).

What was pleasing is that at this level, the English team is highly mobile, can get over the gain line and score tries. Hopefully they don't lose this as they mature.

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
          What was pleasing is that at this level, the English team is highly mobile, can get over the gain line and score tries. Hopefully they don't lose this as they mature.
          Wishful thinking, my friend. They will have any creative spark and initiative coached out of them. Under the current set up anyway.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Sadly that is all too likely.

I find I am depressing myself somewhat as try as I might I just can't raise any enthusiasm for the upcoming RWC. In trying to understand why I think it is partly because I think it is almost a foregone conclusion in terms of result and partly because (as Finbar has already pointed out) it is likely to broadcast at times that will mean I don't get to see too much of it.

I'd welcome someone giving me a reason to start getting interested?
            Last edited by Havak; June 29, 2011, 08:58. Reason: too lazy to spell check
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• You'll see England out at the pool stage, humiliated, a huge shake up and overhaul at HQ, followed by a period in which England finally achieve their potential.

Or at least the first two above possibilities.

Comment

• Seeing England get trashed at some point should be sufficient reason for anyone to watch the World Cup.
                The good thing is this will apply to most nations. Replace England by Wales, or France, if that makes it more appealing to you.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                  Replace England by Wales, or France, if that makes it more appealing to you.
                  Frankly, it's more appealing to me to leave it as England.

Comment

• I knew I could rely on you gentlemen, thank you.

Comment

• What's more, Leicester start next season against three superpowers - Exeter, Wasps and Newcastle. I can see Leicester winless and heading for relegation after three rounds.

Comment

• The truth is we simply never know. We should be competing at the top again but the Wasps probably felt that in 2008/2009.

Saracens negative but effective gameplan will take some unpicking (allowing proper rucking again would help with that).

And I have a lot of time for Dai Young dating back to his skippering the midweekers when I was in Oz in 2001 but whilst I wish him well personally I cannot wish him professional success in his new job (as head of the untouchable caste).

Comment

• I've seen no evidence that Dai Young can coach so Wasps are likely to remain as garbage as they are.

Comment

• So a Crusaders -v- Reds S15 final. Fair enough. Arguably the two best teams in the comp. Extraordinary effort by the Crusaders given their season's misery - the Christchurch earthquake, the trauma of same, playing "home" matches all over NZ. I can't see the Reds beating them. The Crusaders' pack will have the Reds' scrum on roller skates and, as gifted as Will Genia is behind a pack going backwards, life will be difficult for him. Quade Cooper produced his trademark magic in spades against the Blues - even if he kicked appallingly - but I can't see the Crusaders allowing him the time and space.

In other news, Brand Haskell plans a mini-sabbatical including Japan and a season in S15 before scurrying back to Wasps. With his father as his manager, and the gene pool IQ shallower than a puddle, presumably big bucks will be asked for a season in S15. So which team in their right mind is going to fork out big bucks for a single solitary season for a player utterly untried in S15 conditions? And, I would further suggest, unsuited to S15 rugby.

Comment

• I would say an Aussie franchise with more money than sense. Rebels then?

Comment

• They've already spent wisely - Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor for next season - so there ain't going to be many bikkies left in the tin. And, with Lipman and Delve, they've already got backrowers more honest, hard working and productive than Haskell. What they actually need is a front row and a couple of decent locks.

Comment

Working...
                                X