No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For my part I didn't get to see Wales at all, finally caught up on the England game against the baa-baas, caught a little bit of the Canada-Italy A game in the Churchill Cup and watched the Saxons training run against USA. A fair bit of rugby for me then on the first weekend of the off season.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The challenge is going to be the WC with those stupid SH time zones. Set the alarm for 5am for the arvo matches.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I have an alternate solution - the Kiwis can adopt Western European time (BST+1) for the duration?

You were right about England and the barbarians - the latter were too physical and too crafty for what is a very talented but very young Saxons outfit. On saturday watching Twelvetrees when the opposition can put him under no pressure it really did make him look good (he got MOTM). He does have a lovely accurate wide pass that gets the ball wide quickly and causes defences all sorts of trouble. I'd like to see more of him against opposition where they are breathing down his neck and not giving him time on the ball. I might even see that when they play Tonga next sunday.

Given how Stevens played I think he will get a seat on the flight to NZ as well. He is still a fine scrummager and an excellent ball carrier.
        Last edited by Havak; June 6, 2011, 10:42. Reason: redundant repetition
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
          I have an alternate solution - the Kiwis can adopt Western European time (BST+1) for the duration?

You were right about England and the barbarians - the latter were too physical and too crafty for what is a very talented but very young Saxons outfit. On saturday watching Twelvetrees when the opposition can put him under no pressure it really did make him look good (he got MOTM). He does have a lovely accurate wide pass that gets the ball wide quickly and causes defences all sorts of trouble. I'd like to see more of him against opposition where they are breathing down his neck and not giving him time on the ball. I might even see that when they play Tonga next sunday.

Given how Stevens played I think he will get a seat on the flight to NZ as well. He is still a fine scrummager and an excellent ball carrier.
          Whilst I watched Sonny Bill Williams punch an out of shape Tongan for a while

Comment

• I thought Stevens was found out a bit at Test level last time around. Still, good to see him back.

Shame on you, kOc, for even contemplating watching that farce.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
              I thought Stevens was found out a bit at Test level last time around. Still, good to see him back.

Shame on you, kOc, for even contemplating watching that farce.
              It was still better than David Haye versus Audrey Harrison.

Comment

• Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

Lets get him to Sale, tough as nails player that Kelleher.

Comment

• Three or four years ago he would have been very useful.

Comment

• I'm a little surprised Stade Francais would be interested in him at this point in all honesty. Sale I can understand - they have a history of signing 'names' past their best after all. As Mr Cohen proved.

Comment

• Still, they got rid of Brand H. But snapped up P. Sackey. And I notice the lunatic Laporte is now in some sort of senior management role. That's a lot of pluses and minuses.

Comment

• There is probably a strategy there, it is just well hidden.

Another farcical situation at the RFU as Steele resigns after just nine months. His post did become somewhat untenable after the board failed to support his change to the job description for the Performance Director post.

So a capable man with a decent coaching records goes and yet still Rob Andrew is lurking in the corridors. Rob must be the ultimate Mr Teflon as nothing ever sticks to him.

I note from the BBC report on the matter that SCW is Deputy 'Chef de Mission' for Team GB at the Olympics? What a pretentious job title that is! French is a beautiful language - if left to the French. I rather think SCW likes his job titles a little too much - one might even say that glorified job titles hint at certain insecurities? Mind you I think the same about people who list excessive post-nominals in their emails (or on their business card).

Comment

• You have to wonder what J**** thinks about it all. Anyway, the complete and utter incompetence of the RFU on display over the last month or so is pretty much exactly what SCW lambasted when he departed all those years ago. Is he silly enough - or his ego large enough - to think he can change any of that? Probably.

I caught up with the two Churchill Cup matches online yesterday. Saxons share their senior version's problem - not a lot of calculation or guile behind the scrum. Trinder looks like he might make a player, but, apart from that, I didn't see any shining lights. Poite was extraordinarily generous to the Saxons pack, letting Matt Stevens drive literally sideways and handing out penalty tries like lollies.

Russia should have beaten Italy A. Monstered by the Italian pack - legally - they at least have a backline and a pretty well organised one. Matteo Pratichetti at 12 was the best of the Italian backs, as, apparently, he was against the Saxons earlier in the year. Everyone thinks he's a stunning new talent. He's about 25, already has about 20 Test caps, and will always look very good at these lower levels. He hasn't been able to do it at Test level, unfortunately, even if he's been played mainly on the wing where he's not really suited.

Comment

• I saw Argentina - French Barbarians on saturday.
                            This was mostly a second string Argentina team, with the coaches having a last look at players whom they would send to the World Cup.
                            Apart from a good 10 and 15, Argentina didn't have anything exceptional. Even their scrum was not so good. They managed to stay in the game in good part due to 2 penalties from more than 50 metres, while the French missed two penalties.
                            The French Barbarians won with a nice rugby. It's a pity Teulet, Castres' full back, will never have worn the French shirt. He is usually a good kicker and proved very incisive when intervening in attack, but he's too old and small to be considered.
                            However, after reading some reactions, I started to wonder what the participation of Argentina to the Tri nations will result in. Sure, they will have real matches. However, French and European clubs in general will feel less interested in recruiting them as the players will be unavailable during 6 matches in the middle of the season. I read that the Racing Club de France for instance was thinking a lot about this. If international Argentinan players end up having a hard time findign a good club, I don't know what will happen to them. I think it wouldn't hurt Argentina if their best players came back home, but it's not clear whether they'll be able to compete at professional level there.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• It's a Catch 22 for the Argies. They need to play more as a national team, need to be exposed to good quality rugby, but it could compromise their players' foreign club careers. There was vague talk at one point about a squad in the S15 but the travel involved on a weekly basis would be a nightmare.

Comment

• The two young flankers - Gaskell and Johnson - are promising Finbar. So is our new scrummy I think. Stevens is good - not least because he hoodwinks referees. I would be amazed if he doesn't make the RWC squad. Clegg hasn't developed the way his early time at Falcons suggested he might - the search for an English fly half continues in vain.

Our three 'common knowledge' signings are now official - Brookes and Young from Falcons, Kitchener from Worcester. Good signings - hopefully we can nip the Saracens era in the bud.

Comment

Working...
                                X