No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes. He's clearly as thick as nine planks. Worse, just a very limited rugby player. Why Gatland persists with him I don't know. His manager says he's sought after by other Premiership clubs. M-hm. We'll see.

Armitage D., and his suspension are yet another joke. Three weeks for that punch. Hard, short-range, deliberate, cowardly with Myler on his back and defenceless, straight in the eye. Could have blinded Myler. That the suspension has been tweaked to cover games is only some comfort.

I think Saints are better than you describe - they're not my near-neighbours, after all - but they were given a very easy passage by the French. Their midfield was very effective but they're going to need something more creative from them against the Irish. Should be a monster of a game. I also wish Shane Geraghty would go to another club whose game actually suits him, get his confidence back, and realise his potential. Apparently they've signed Lamb - flakier than even Geraghty's current form - so they seem to have a fondness for players inappropriate to their game style.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I didn't know about Lamb going there. that surely has to mean the end of geragthy - they don't want him at 12 and he would be thrid choice stand off.

Some consistency in displinaries would be nice, they do seem very random and I always uncomformtable with the now mandatory Kiwi defence (i.e. "he is not like that guvnor, honest").

Today I am reeling from the idiocy of the LibDems even now after they have been given a kicking for their betrayal of the British Public. This typifies it:

Lib Dem MP Bob Russell says it's "bizarre" that Labour has made gains when they were responsible for the UK's budget deficit. "It's like rewarding the bank robbers rather than the policemen who caught them. It's just bizarre that people have such short memories."

This is the same attitude Nick Clegg has been using - mystified by their unpopularity and genuinely expecting to be loved and admired for taking the "tough decisions needed". It is gloriously naieve - voters do not reward parties that make their lives worse. The fact that Labour spent money the state did not have caused no hardship to Joe Q Public - indeed they benefitted from it considerably. With the cuts their lives are markedly more difficult - they therefore punish the party they see as responsible. Painting the LibDems as the policemen is also wonderful imagery - given they are actually the blaggers who would have done anything for a taste of power.

The only downside to the elections is that the Blue vote held up - still that won't last I trust.

And now back to rugby....
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I couldn't be more thrilled that the Lib Dems - opportunistic ba******, the leader anyway - were thumped. Cannot wait for the next election. T*rds.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• The official line is that in a few years when the "hard decisions" they have had to take pay off and everything in the garden is rosy that they expect voters to flock back to them in huge numbers (and with enduring gratitude). It's a kind of groupthink denial. By the time the Tories are finished in this session the wreck of the good ship UK will be beyond salvage. Scotland will have snapped of the bow even.

Sheffield Hallam has been Tory before - arguably it still is. The only right leaning constituency in that grand old city. There is a very real chance he will lose it.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The Lib Dem electorate will never forgive the betrayal. They're toast, so is he.

Comment

• More rugby, less politics.

Really loving the Super15 highlights I'm getting atm. Aussies have so much talent, I'm tempted to put a significant wager on them for the RWC this year.

Comment

• Sorry, there are little outbursts from time to time. A break from the tedium of the exploits of Powell and Henson.

Don't forget you're seeing only highlights. The only Australian franchise that has really fired is the Queensland Reds - oh, and the Waratahs in the first couple of rounds. The Reds, though, have hit a flat patch. Dreadful, unrecognisable, in their loss to the Hurricans, and only fair yesterday against the Rebels whose diabolical defence gifted easy tries.

The Australian problem, as always, is going to be in the forwards. There's talent to burn in the backs, and Will Genia is fit again and firing, which is the best thing. If the forwards can at least gain parity - both in set piece and the loose - they have to be in with a chance.

Comment

• Bloody hell.

Half-time this Super-Saturday.

Leeds taking Northampton atm, and Bath are destroying Newcastle. Leeds could survive and Northampton aren't going to be in the play-offs at this rate as Sale are surrendering to Gloucester.

Comment

• Saints will empty the bench in the second half. It's what might be called a useful bench. As long as they haven't left themselves too much to do ...

Comment

• Yup, Northampton managed to win 31-24 against Leeds. Least Leeds gave it a good shot today...Newcastle...tanked.

A pretty exciting finale tbh

Leicester, Saracens, Gloucester and Northampton in the play-offs with Leeds demoted and Sale with the worst defence in the Premiership.

Comment

• Well, there you go. And Leicester fell over the line. Leeds needed two points more than Newcastle, didn't they? One for finishing within 7, they couldn't score a fourth try. So they're counting on Pirates to beat Worcester. Mmmm.

Comment

• What's with the bots getting on the site?

I have strong political views and they will surface occasionally.

What the handsome bonus victory for Tigers is hiding is this. They trailed 23-13 with just ten minutes to go. They had struggled to break down the Exiles defence all game and had gifted Ojo two gilt edged chances that he converted. And then, suddenly, Exiles no longer seemed to be on the paddock. It's worryingly unlike Tigers to play so inconsistently. Still it is only Saints in the play off semi - no problem at all there.

Comment

• Sale's executive director Steve Diamond said: "In the second half we conceded seven tries and that's an indication of how far this club has dropped.

"Thirteen or 14 of them won't be at Sale next season and we didn't come down here with the right mindset. I expected it as that is what happens if you are not up for it and players don't show any self respect."
                            Ouch.

Comment

• He shares the blame - whether he cares to admit it or not.

Comment

• Is that guy an English version of Lièvremont?
                                Clash of Civilization team member
                                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                                X