No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw Perpignan vs Toulon this afternoon. The result is that Perpignan will continue in the HCup.
    They almost lost the match because they played in Barcelona, and were too stressed. Perpignan only started playing in the second half, but then they did some nice things. Guirado would be a really good hooker if only he could throw. He's better at it with his club than with France, but even there he manages to spill a few too many.
    Seeing Marty again, I keep wondering why he's ever been selected for France. Centers should pass the ball. Even once in a while. I think Havak looking England playing shares the frustration.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Typical Perpignan, really. The only way they were going to lose was by committing handling and tactical suicide. Toulon just don't have the guile or cutting edge or talent in the backs. In fact, every time I see Toulon I wonder where Comic Book Guy's billions of euros have gone. Wilko, George Smith (mainly in the first half) and the Bok skipper aside, Toulon are a team of wildly overpaid journeymen.

Great physical encounter between the two Ls. Cockers is blaming the ref but Tigers were outplayed. Leinster had the extra dimension, even if Luke Fitzgerald did his best singlehandedly to undermine it. Where on earth has S. O'Brien come from? I'd never heard of him before the 6N. He's a monster. I think Ben Youngs needs a break. He actually ran in a complete circle wondering what to do with the ball at one stage.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I've never seen Ulster play before. Magners doesn't make it onto Sky Italy, even the Italian club games. Some top quality commitment and backline work seriously embarrassed Saints before Saints' muscle finally, probably inevitably, won out. Saints do what they do very well but need more than muscle if they're going to be a truly top team and I can't see it happening with Myler and those crashball centres. The shame is that Shane Geraghty rots in the background. Geraghty, on the gain line, feeding runners, would add the dimension Saints lack. The chap should never have left Irish.

It's beyond me how Toulouse almost managed to lose yesterday. It's also beyond me how Ian Balshaw continues to be selected. Possibly my favourite moment of the HC came yesterday - Balshaw, with the ball, indicates an up and under to his teammates, and promptly hoofs the ball 50 metres and dead.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Not sure why Cockers is blaming the ref - we were soundly outplayed for 75 mins and 5 mins of decent rugby seldom wins such a big game.

We paid the price for the slip up in the pool stages. I do think a 'home' tie would have possibly seen us through.

I have to back Saints now I guess. We live in strange times.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Nine weeks for Cueto. What a loopy system.

Comment

• "compelling mitigation"

Would be nice to hear what that was?
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                "compelling mitigation"

Would be nice to hear what that was?
                Hey, I had come here to post exactly that.

If I'm ever in trouble, I want Cueto's Lawyer.

Blackadder: I remember Massingbird's most famous case: the Case of the Bloody Knife. A man was found next to a murdered body. He had the knife in his hand. 13 witnesses had seen him stab the victim. And when the police arrived, he said "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off; he got him knighted in the New Year's Honours List. And the relatives of the victim had to pay to wash the blood out of his jacket! Perkins: Yeah, he's a dab hand at the prosecution as well, sir. Blackadder: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde. Perkins: Oh yes, butch ol' Oscar. Blackadder: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar. The terror of the ladies. 114 illegitimate children, world heavyweight boxing champion and author of the best-selling pamphlet "Why I Like To Do It With Girls." And Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Comment

• Reading around, it seems the bases are: (1) guilty plea; (2) remorse; (3) good record; and (4) Day's letter to the effect that he wasn't gouged.

Next step, wait for Day to be selected for the Saxons.

Comment

• If Day wasn't gouged...then why the punishment?

Comment

• The charge was making contact with the eyes. There's no "gouging" charge, per se. You have to make contact to gouge but it seems you can make contact without necessarily gouging. Apparently.

Comment

• Does eye contact count as eye contact?
                        If so, I know many people who could be punished for killer glances...
                        Clash of Civilization team member
                        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Not if they're England Test rugby players with the World Cup just around the corner.

Comment

• You cynic you.

Comment

• Day says he wasn't gouged...

BBC, Sport, BBC Sport, bbc.co.uk, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Nice long holiday for Cueto before the RWC.

Comment

• Of course he's going to say that. Regardless, what this raises yet again is the question of meaningless suspensions. Suspensions should be predicated on games instead of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X