Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starcraft!

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

:drools:
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

My gaming PC won't arrive til Aug 9th
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        My gaming PC won't arrive til Aug 9th
        Yeah I had to send my laptop back for RMA I don't know when I'll get it back.

I probably wasn't going to rush to get Starcraft though... I already have too many games as is that I haven't played enough (Company of Heroes, Europa Universalis, and Age of Empires 3... plus, Madden is about to come out). Then considering I'll start working and I really should study for the GMAT, there won't be much time for games

Actually, I still haven't finished my first play-through of Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, GTA IV, or Operation Flashpoint (which is a disappointing game)... I don't know how people do it. Mass Effect intrigues me but I just don't think I'll ever really be able to get around to playing it. Too many games, not enough time.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I was looking for reviews earlier today, and am delighted that I couldn't find any.

I was pretty certain that some jokers would have a race to be first to review it, and then not cover any of the game beyond the first half-hour, just so they could be first.

Mind you, I assume that if I was to look now, there will be a few up already.

I can only assume that Spike has bought this and is playing it, which would explain the weird feeling this thread has - no Spike posts!

Comment

There are no reviews - something to do with needing full B.net integration and the servers aren't live yet.

I'm watching with interest for the reviews and will almost certainly get it. Haven't played a PC game competitively for a few years though - should be interesting.

Comment

****ing Blizzard.

I tried to log in to my battle.net account (last time I did was the 1st year WoW was around). It claims I've an authenticator dongle (WTF? I've never bought one or had one) and I need to enter the code it displays to log in.

So then I go to battle.net to try to get help and the ****ing website is down? All it says is "www.weblogsinc.com"
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by harveyjerry
                Starcraft is the best RTS ever released.
                Given the general consensus that this is true, Starcraft made me realize I have come to dislike RTS games. If I couldn't like that one, what hope was there?

I guess Warcraft 2 used up all my interest in the genre.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  ****ing Blizzard.

I tried to log in to my battle.net account (last time I did was the 1st year WoW was around). It claims I've an authenticator dongle (WTF? I've never bought one or had one) and I need to enter the code it displays to log in.

So then I go to battle.net to try to get help and the ****ing website is down? All it says is "www.weblogsinc.com"
                  Your account was hacked, you'll most likely end up having to call Blizzard to get them to fix it. Or you could just create a new one, that really depends on how much you care about your account name I suppose.

I am in the process of downloading SCII right now, won't be able to play until tomorrow. No rush, I'm not a fan of RTS games, but Blizzard has a tendency to make games worth playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                    Given the general consensus that this is true, Starcraft made me realize I have come to dislike RTS games. If I couldn't like that one, what hope was there?

I guess Warcraft 2 used up all my interest in the genre.
                    Starcraft is possibly a 'perfect' game in many respects as demonstrated by its longevity, balance, and fantastic scenario editor (I remember I used to play very little RTS Starcraft on battle.net but a lot of multiplayer scenarios that were RPG's, tower defence, shooters, or some other type of game like Zerg soccer; the variety of user-created content was amazing).

However, there are some problems with Starcraft. The emphasis on symmetrical maps is a little disappointing but understandable from the game balance perspective. Also, only two resources and a very simplistic tech tree also limit the game. And I know people like it, but I never got into the whole 'micro'-ing what are basically magic spells.

Before you dismiss the genre completely, I would check out Age of Empires II, Company of Heroes, and Rise of Nations (which I have not played although my understanding is that it's like an RTS version of Civ). Those three games are sufficiently different from Starcraft and also are representative of different types of RTS (ie- Company of Heroes is more tactical; Rise of Nations is longer and more complex; Age of Empires is a nice medium).

Comment

Boris, check it out. This is why Starcraft was such an incredible game!

SC2 Chess:

SC2 Top-Down Shooter:

SC2 Third-Person Shooter:

SC2 Tetris:

SC2 Top-Down Flying Shooter:

SC2 First-Person Shooter:

SC2 Pac-Man:

What other game ever had so much incredible open-endedness for user created content?
                      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; July 28, 2010, 00:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
                        Your account was hacked, you'll most likely end up having to call Blizzard to get them to fix it. Or you could just create a new one, that really depends on how much you care about your account name I suppose.

I am in the process of downloading SCII right now, won't be able to play until tomorrow. No rush, I'm not a fan of RTS games, but Blizzard has a tendency to make games worth playing.
                        It was certainly not hacked. It looks like it was just a temporary service issue...at the same time battle.net's website was down. A couple hours later I could log in and it didn't ask for the authenticator.

Comment

This game is azmazing, waitting for long, long time, since 1998 and is finally there

Comment

when time is scarce...

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

I probably wasn't going to rush to get Starcraft though... I already have too many games as is that I haven't played enough (Company of Heroes, Europa Universalis, and Age of Empires 3... plus, Madden is about to come out). Then considering I'll start working and I really should study for the GMAT, there won't be much time for games

Actually, I still haven't finished my first play-through of Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, GTA IV, or Operation Flashpoint (which is a disappointing game)... I don't know how people do it. Mass Effect intrigues me but I just don't think I'll ever really be able to get around to playing it. Too many games, not enough time.
                            Hehe, this happens to me too... I halso have fallout 3, GTAIV and the first Starcraft started. they are all very good, but i havent finished them.

re Starcraft, I have played the human campaign several times. But then it switches to another race, and I must learn everything all over. Thats when I dont have time anymore! The exact same thing happened with warcraft III by the way!

and most likely it will happen with starcraft II

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

I feel your pain, but the pressure of limited time forces us to focus only on that which matters the most to us. It can be liberating dropping the excessive weight from your life, and embracing minimalist purity. You'll save money too, and have more time to spend on the things that are effortlessly absorbing.
                              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X