Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So long Great Lakes, the Asian Carp-alypse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So long Great Lakes, the Asian Carp-alypse.

I believe we had a thread here awhile back about the Asian Carp invasion of the Mississippi river and its tributaries along with the effort to try to keep them out of the Great Lakes. That effort has no officially failed. Why does that matter? Because as an invasive species Asian carp have few to no predators and they quickly kill off just about every other fish species they come into contact with. Upwards of 90%-95% of the fish in huge swaths of the Mississippi are now Asian carp and native species are literally going extinct in the wild by the dozens. Now it appears the same thing will happen to the great lakes and the Great Lakes region is expected to lose almost its entire salmon and trout fisheries worth tens of billions of dollars per year and even more when you consider the tourist dollars of people who travel to the Great Lakes hoping to do some sport fishing.

US and Canadian authorities are expressing dismay that the economically hard hit region may suffer yet another set back.

Five US states sue over Asian carp invasion

Five US states have sued the federal government and Chicago's water authority seeking action to stop Asian carp invading the Great Lakes.

Scientists are afraid the fish may overrun native species like salmon, which inhabit the freshwater lakes on the border of the US and Canada.

The large fish have no natural predators.

The five states are asking the US Army Corps of Engineers to use nets to stop the carp from entering Lake Michigan.

The lawsuit filed in the US District Court in northern Illinois also asks for a study to be conducted on whether the Great Lakes can be separated from the US's Mississippi River and seeks to close Chicago shipping gates and locks - which may be providing an entrance to Lake Michigan for the fish.

Asian carp have proliferated in the Mississippi River and can grow to weigh as much as 100lb (45kg). Some boaters have reported collisions and even injuries from run-ins with the species.

The US Supreme Court has rejected three previous requests for court action from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and Ohio.

The most recent lawsuit was prompted by the discovery of a 20lb (9kg) Asian carp last month on the wrong side of electronic barriers designed to contain the fish.

"President Obama and the Army Corps of Engineers have failed to fight Asian carp aggressively," said Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox, a Republican running for governor.

He added: "Asian carp will kill jobs and ruin our way of life."
    Five US states have sued the federal government and Chicago's water authority in order to stop Asian carp invading prized US lakes.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

A documentary on the Asian carp invasion part 1:

Part 2

Comment

****ing Asians
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

To recap last year the government spent $20 million building an electric barrier which was supposed to keep the Asian carp out of the Great Lakes and the Asian carp beat that barrier in less then a year.

Comment

This thread was far more interesting when I read it as a thread about "Asian corps"
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I am addicted to downvoting Oerdin-Thrades
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

You are sad.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

i cant help it. it is one of the best feelings i have ever felt
                Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Can you eat them?

Comment

That's what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
                      Can you eat them?
                      Yes, but the fish tend to have lots of fine bones all over their flesh which makes them hard to debone plus they reportedly have a mushy texture which most Americans don't like. That said there is a large and growing trade selling them in Asia. Too bad they literally knock the bottom rung out of the food chain and end up killing or out competing every other species.

I've also seen videos where people say they catch huge amounts of Asian carp in nets and then sell them to animal feed processors to be made into hog food or fish food.

Comment

Kill zem! Kill zem all!
                        What?

Comment

July 14, 2010|By Joel Hood, Tribune reporter
                          Gov. Pat Quinn hoped to spark a modern-day gold rush for fishermen on the Illinois River by signing an agreement Tuesday to ship as much as 30 million pounds of Asian carp a year to China, where the fish are a delicacy.

"If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em," Quinn said, launching the next phase of the state's effort to control and eradicate the invasive species before it reaches Lake Michigan.

Illinois will invest $2 million to upgrade the facilities at Big River Fisheries in Downstate Pearl and Pittsfield. The fish processing plants are among a handful in Illinois already shipping millions of pounds of Asian carp to China and other countries each year.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

To be fair, salmon are NOT a native species to the Great Lakes either; however, since they provide economic benefits, they are treated as such.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Another US failure.

Is there anything you guys don't **** up?
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X