No announcement yet.

2010 Fantasy NFL Football Set-Up Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has the D/ST league started? No one invited me.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Which league has team D? Please show me where to join.

Comment

It isn't formed yet.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

OK, given the high demand, I will start the league as soon as I finish eating my food.

I mother****ing sauteed ****! I am awesome.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'm making minor changes to the scoring to better handle kick and punt returns. These are very slight refinements, because the general scoring system has worked for us well and we're all familiar with it.

1. Individual players will be credited for their return TDs this year. This does mean that if you have, say, Johnnie Lee Higgins AND the Raiders D/ST, you could get double points for a return touchdown. It's not ideal, but I think it happens relatively little, and it makes people sad when their players' TDs don't count.

However, return yards still don't count for anything for individual players. It sucks when the kick returner on a bad team puts up a decent fantasy score because his team gets blown out and he has lots of KR attempts.

Practical effect of this: marginal. You might want to boost players like Josh Cribbs, Percy Harvin, or Darren Sproles about 12 points, in addition to their offensive numbers, since they're reasonable multi-return-TD threats. Nobody else is a consistent enough return TD threat for this to matter.

2. The scoring for return yards for D/ST units has been scaled back to 50 yards per point. In rewarding return yards, we have a problem. Bad defenses are the ones that get the most return yards, because they receive more kickoffs. (It is very easy to get the first 20-25 yards of a kickoff return.) The new value of 50 yards/point should better mitigate the effect we saw last year, where bad defenses weren't suitably punished because they made it up with return yards.

Practical effect of this: slightly greater spread between good defenses and poor ones. About .5 points per TD/FG allowed.

3. Defensive safety has been moved down to 4 points. While a safety is worth about five points in real football (because of the offense's loss of possession) some of that is already accounted for in the scoring for points allowed.

Practical effect of this: none. Safeties are really random. Maybe the occasional team with a spectacular punting unit and a spectacular defense is very slightly more likely to get one, but for the most part, getting the opportunity to get a safety is just luck. This change reduces defensive scoring by about 1/3 of a point per defense per year.

These changes aren't meant to mess with peoples' draft strategies at all. They're here to slightly improve the sense of fairness.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

League ID: 188775
                  League Password: poly

Comment

Changes seem reasonable to me.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I think you made a mistake, Jag. Looks like it has IDP settings and only 2 bench slots.
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                        Changes seem reasonable to me.
                        Agreed.

I think you made a mistake, Jag. Looks like it has IDP settings and only 2 bench slots.
                        Settings look correct to me.
                        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• FavreDollarFootlongs

Comment

• I've joined both now.
                            When it becomes available, I'll start up Salary Cap and Survival leagues.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• When's the draft?
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• not a big deal but can we expand the flex spot to include TE?

wow, cj is #1 by a longshot
                                Last edited by Berzerker; July 22, 2010, 00:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X