Cute Girl at Supermarket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cute Girl at Supermarket

Unlike AS I am pretty damn good at keeping relationships going, but not so good at picking up girls or initiating things. In fact I've never so much as asked a girl for her number when out and about.

Lately, this incredibly cute cashier at the grocery store I frequent has been looking over at me and smiling a lot when I'm in the store. Obviously I have to man up and talk to her. This is a dumb question, but what do I say? How do I do it?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

For this sort of question, we need the help of Pekka.

Seriously, though, try "hi, what's up" and let it go from there. Treat it as a normal conversation, try to convince yourself to act natural. And slip in, "are you doing anything when your shift ends? I'd love to take you out for coffee/tea/a long philosophical discussion of your kid brother's right to vote later."
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Tell her you are "kind of a big deal", and "you may remember me from such TV shows as _______________".

If things go well, you can progress to phase two: Tell her how your apartment smells of rich mahogany and you have many leather-bound books.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Note any difference and then comment on it in a positive way. A winner every time.
        'Your hair really looks good this way'. 'nice shoes' BINGO.
        It shows you've been paying attention to her.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

weren't you kissing a girl the other day. you slut!
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
            weren't you kissing a girl the other day. you slut!
            Eh, doesn't look like it is gonna work out with her. Moving on.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

OR, she can assume you thought her hair looked like crap all this time.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Funny slow, but yeah you'd think some women would think that but I've never seen a woman not light up brightly after that line.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  For this sort of question, we need the help of Pekka.

Seriously, though, try "hi, what's up" and let it go from there. Treat it as a normal conversation, try to convince yourself to act natural. And slip in, "are you doing anything when your shift ends? I'd love to take you out for coffee/tea/a long philosophical discussion of your kid brother's right to vote later."
                  I'm not terribly good with small talk or initiating conversations with people I don't know. (i.e. the whole problem)

Plus, she is a cashier, so whatever I say I'm probably gonna say while in the checkout lane with people behind me and her ringing me up. Unless I hang around for an hour or two waiting for her to go on break, but that'd just be super creepy, no way would I do that.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                    Funny slow, but yeah you'd think some women would think that but I've never seen a woman not light up brightly after that line.
                    Also, it'd have to actually be true. I don't remember details on how she does her hair or what shoes she wears.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                      Also, it'd have to actually be true. I don't remember details on how she does her hair or what shoes she wears.
                      Then how interested in her could you be?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Then how interested in her could you be?
                        Ding ding ding ding ding ding
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

just go and buy some groceries when the store is about to close, or when you know it's really quiet. also, the fact that you won't have much time will disguise the fact that you're crap at small talk.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

And after a few compliments, she'll be looking forward to seeing you in the future. I'd be willing to bet that after a few more comments, she'll initiate conversation. Once she does that, asking her to go for a quick cup of coffee is easy. Who cares what the people in line think. Most of them will probably be envious anyway.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ozzy, it appears that the problem is an excess of thinking. Now you've talked yourself out of it, for reasons that are all in your imagination.

Just establish a verbal starting point. The fact that she's a cashier works to your advantage, because you are gone before the conversation can break down into awkward pauses. Try something along the lines of "Hello, how's it going today?"

Once speaking with you is an established ritual, you can move on to advance topics, like names.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X