Hindi words commonly used in English.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
    Want to bet? Though I suppose it could have a common Indo-European root.
    Yes, it's Indo-European, but it doesn't stop there. It's arguably not universal, but practically so.

Take a look at the translations here for instance. There's a lot of pa/ba aren't there?

Comment

The cross-linguistic similarities between these terms are thought to result from the nature of language acquisition.[1] These words are the first word-like sounds made by babbling babies, and parents tend to associate the first sound babies make with themselves. Thus, there is no need to ascribe the similarities to common ancestry of !Kung ba, Aramaic abba, Mandarin Chinese bàba, Persian baba, and French papa (all "father") ; or Navajo má, Mandarin Chinese māma, Swahili mama, Quechua mama, and English "mama" (all "mother").
      Or are either of you suggesting !Kung, Aramaic, Mandarin, and Navajo are all Indo-European languages?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
        Yes, it's Indo-European, but it doesn't stop there. It's arguably not universal, but practically so.

Take a look at the translations here for instance. There's a lot of pa/ba aren't there?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/father#Translations
        In any event in the English language it supposedly comes from Hindi which is a fellow Indo-European language.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
          Oerdin, you're wrong. In fact, mama and dada and variations are virtually universal in human languages.
          OK, show the non-Indo-European root of the word. I bet I can find all sorts of Native American and Papua New Guinean languages which doesn't use anything close to those word.

Comment

Let's not a simple mistake spoil the entire thread. Here's a list of some English word of Scandinavian origin. You might even have used some of them today;

angstrom
            are
            bag
            birth
            both
            die
            dirt
            egg
            get
            give
            gun
            hell
            hit
            hot
            husband
            ill
            law
            leg
            low
            niggardly
            ombudsman
            root
            sister
            ski
            skill
            skirt
            sky
            smorgasbord
            Sunday
            take
            their
            they
            Tuesday
            tungsten
            ugly
            want
            window
            wing
            work

Partly from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_Norse_origin
            Last edited by Kitschum; June 15, 2010, 22:21. Reason: alphabetical order

Comment

niggardly

Racist Scandis...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                niggardly

Racist Scandis...
                You're one to talk, Drake Tungsten, Scandi-lover.

Comment

I love the ones who hate me.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

OK, show the non-Indo-European root of the word. I bet I can find all sorts of Native American and Papua New Guinean languages which doesn't use anything close to those word.
                    There is NO non-Indo-European root. what do you not understand?

The cross-linguistic similarities between these terms are thought to result from the nature of language acquisition.[1] These words are the first word-like sounds made by babbling babies, and parents tend to associate the first sound babies make with themselves. Thus, there is no need to ascribe the similarities to common ancestry of !Kung ba, Aramaic abba, Mandarin Chinese bàba, Persian baba, and French papa (all "father") ; or Navajo má, Mandarin Chinese māma, Swahili mama, Quechua mama, and English "mama" (all "mother").
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Wow! According to the nazi named Lebanese the words for mother and father are the same in every human language ever found on the earth. Go put your head in a hole.

Comment

I'm shocked that Oerdin posted something incorrect.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Wow! According to the nazi named Lebanese the words for mother and father are the same in every human language ever found on the earth. Go put your head in a hole.
                          What does Lebanese have to do...

Okay. It's official. Oerdin's racist against Arabs. Makes perfect sense now.

Comment

Oerdin is just racist in general, although I think his time in Iraq with the Coast Guard has given him a special hatred for Arabs.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Oerdin, mama and papa and variations are called 'false cognates'. They appear to have a common ancestor but have different roots. Some interesting examples include that wolf in French is garou and in Japanese it is garo. Mama and papa are special cases though because they are much more common and seem to have descended from baby babbling.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                                Oerdin is just racist in general, although I think his time in Iraq with the Coast Guard has given him a special hatred for Arabs.
                                Yeah you said the Coast Guard thing before but he's wearing an Army PT shirt in his profile picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X