No announcement yet.

Hindi words commonly used in English.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some interesting examples include that wolf in French is garou and in Japanese it is garo.

The Japanese word for "wolf" is ookami.

Yeah you said the Coast Guard thing before but he's wearing an Army PT shirt in his profile picture.

Wouldn't you pretend to be in a real service branch if you were in the Coast Guard?
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

"fanged wolf" is Garo. Whatever. Same thing. The Japanese language is just weird because they want to have fancy adjective on everything.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
        No, actually the Catholic church called for multiple crusades to remove the infidels from Spain and Portugal. The Spanish called it the Reconquista (reconquest) but the fact remains that it was a religious duty for all Catholics to join in the religious struggle against the Muslims. In fact huge numbers of Spanish, Italians, Polish, English, and other knights joined in the struggle for no other reason then because the Catholic Church told them they would receive salvation if they did so. It was absolutely a continuation of the Crusades albeit mixed with the national ambitions of the Kings of Spain and Portugal.
        Why is it ok for the Muslims to conquer people, but not ok for those people to take their land back?
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
          Why is it ok for the Muslims to conquer people, but not ok for those people to take their land back?
          Who implied a value judgment, Ozzy?

But we can talk about the comparatively better living conditions and greater tolerance during most of Moorish Spain relative to Catholic Spain (inquisition, anyone?)... you can also mention that Spain had been conquered by Visigoths two centuries before the Arabs arrived... and I'm doubtful of the 'native' origins of the houses of Castile, Leon, and Aragon.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GARO

"fanged wolf" is Garo. Whatever. Same thing. The Japanese language is just weird because they want to have fancy adjective on everything.

"Ro" is clearly the on-reading (Chinese) of the character for "wolf". "Ookami" is the kun-reading (Japanese).

KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Are you trying to do your interpretation of what I did to you in the soccer thread? Clearly from the wikipedia reference, I didn't pull garo out my ass. It means wolf as well. Maybe it's a synonym. I don't know.

Comment

Only communists use the on-reading.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Are you trying to do your interpretation of what I did to you in the soccer thread?

No; my point is completely relevant. "Ro" isn't the Japanese word for "wolf"; "ookami" is. "Ro" isn't even Japanese in origin; it's a rendering in Japanese pronunciation of the ancient Chinese word for "wolf".
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I thought wolf was loup in French?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                      Oerdin is just racist in general, although I think his time in Iraq with the Coast Guard has given him a special hatred for Arabs.
                      I'm especially racist against rednecks though. Especially those from Nebraska.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Oerdin hasn't posted in here since Drake made that insensitive comment about Oerdin's service in Iraq. Drake, you should be proud of and respectful to Oerdin for his service in time of war. Unless you've been over there, you should show nothing but respect.

EDIT: well this post looks retarded now that he has posted.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                          Of course it is. In fact any time someone expells Muslims the world becomes a better place.

Comment

I'm especially racist against rednecks though. Especially those from Nebraska.

Rednecks don't take kindly to my kind 'round here.

I thought wolf was loup in French?

I don't speak that gay language, but I wouldn't be surprised if Speer's link also got the French word for "wolf" wrong.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Stupid people? It must be hard when even red necks look down on you.

Comment

I'm instructing Speer in the basics of the Japanese language while you're trying to convince us all that "papa" is a uniquely Indian word, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Yes, I'm definitely the stupid one in this thread.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X