X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Wake

Is supposed to be awesome.

Discuss.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

It looks interesting, and I'll probably get it, but based on player/site reviews the game would be more accurately described as good/very good than awesome. Running at 83 at metacritic now.

Comment

First thoughts (1.5 episodes in): Good stuff.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I will probably wait until the "Game of the year"-edition arrives next year WITH all the dlc-chapters. Alot of reviewers have mentioned that the game ends somewhat inconclusive to set it up for a few extra chapters as dlc, but I want to be able to play it all when I first start it. Still enjoying it? What does it remind you of?

Comment

I've finished up through chapter 4 (of 6). The production values of this game are insanely high. Can see why it took them 6 years.

Perhaps the best part of the game, or at least the most original for me, is the original soundtrack. At the end of chapters, it simply shows an elegant "Alan Wake" logo and plays an original song. The one at the end of chapter four is amazing. If you listen to the lyrics of the song you'll have some spoilers to the story, I guess:

But the context couldn't be more awesome:
          Spoiler:
          There's an old rock band that has a big house and property in the woods, complete with a massive stage. The stage is loaded with all kinds of ****, including pyrotechnics. Now, in Alan Wake the gameplay technique is to attack the Taken with light (flashlights, flares, flashbangs, lamps etc...any light source at all) to weaken them, then finish them off with a weapon of some kind.

At the end of the chapter, you need to defend the stage from an onslaught of taken.It was epic. The NPC friend was in charge of fireworks and stage lighting, using that to weaken the surging Taken while you throw flares around, throw flash-bangs, finish them off with pump-action shotguns, etc.

At the end of that, the chapter ends...it says "End of Chapter 4" with the Alan Wake logo (as in the video) and plays that song by the "Old Gods of Asgard", the band from the game whose house and stage you were just on. The lyrics recap the story up to the point, using some light metaphors.

Pretty original.

Comment

One episode in and really enjoying it. I can see the combat mechanic getting a bit tired unless there is more enemy variety later (from reviews I think this won't happen) but it's got a unique feel and I really want to play more.

Comment

Working...
            X