X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nature of offense

A profoundly enlightening little image.

Opinions?

Wow Aneeshm. Still with the Muslim hate?

2804 posts and every single one about Muslims being wrong!
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
      Wow Aneeshm. Still with the Muslim hate?
      Why do you persist in this misrepresentation? I have made clear my position on these questions numerous times.

I have to fear for my life if I criticise Islam in India. So I do not do that. Not only that, honest criticism - or even discussion - is met with state persecution. Examples abound. I may dissent from the state-sponsored view of Islam as benign, both historically and in the present, but I am not fool enough to say it. I do not want to die.

Is it too much to ask that I be free to speak my mind without fearing reprisals from those who would silence me, and that the state not collude with these thugs? That the law be applied equally to me and them? That violence of this kind, whoever be the criminal, be met with swift, effective, and brutal countermeasures, which shall set an example to terrify all who would try such tactics in the future?

Who is afraid today to speak? Is it the mullah in Europe who declares that he wishes to destroy the values of the West? Or is it everyone who would wish to exercise their right to express themselves, everywhere around the world, for fear that tomorrow they be murdered and that their state shall not protect them?

Comment

كافر

Kafir

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Mohammed receiving his first revelation from the angel Gabriel. Miniature illustration on vellum from the book Jami' al-Tawarikh (literally "Compendium of Chronicles" but often referred to as The Universal History or History of the World), by Rashid al-Din, published in Tabriz, Persia, 1307 A.D. Now in the collection of the Edinburgh University Library, Scotland.

A young Mohammed being recognized by the monk Bahira. Miniature illustration on vellum from the book Jami' al-Tawarikh (literally "Compendium of Chronicles" but often referred to as The Universal History or History of the World), by Rashid al-Din, published in Tabriz, Persia, 1307 A.D. Now in the collection of the Edinburgh University Library, Scotland.

There have been so many medieval Islamic depictions of Muhammad. The prohibition is not in the Qur'an but attributed to a number of hadith (which also prohibit the depiction of any of God's living creations). Prohibition against the depiction of God and Muhammad are generally accepted by Muslims, however.

Allah's Apostle returned from a journey when I had placed a curtain of mine having pictures over (the door of) a chamber of mine. When Allah's Apostle saw it, he tore it and said, "The people who will receive the severest punishment on the Day of Resurrection will be those who try to make the like of Allah's creations." So we turned it (i.e., the curtain) into one or two cushions. —Sahih al-Bukhari 7:72:838
          While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle. I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other inanimate objects."
          —Sahih al-Bukhari 3:34:428
          Last edited by Al B. Sure!; May 23, 2010, 07:21.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post

Opinions?
            You need a hobby, and possibly a woman.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Much like this becomes offensive the moment I reveal that it's beef.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

For a secular example, Throbbing Gristle did exactly the same thing with the logo of Industrial Records.

After they'd been using it for a while, and everyone was familiar with it, they casually revealed it was a picture of Auschwitz. Cue drama.

Information, and the control of it, is everything.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post

Opinions?
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post

Much like this becomes offensive the moment I reveal that it's beef.
                    Nope. What you do to cows is between you and the cows (assuming they're your cows). I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't object to your doing it, nor am I offended by it.

Comment

Ultimate Warrior
                      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Despite Aneesh's repetition and possibly dodgy politics, his point here is basically correct, albeit put into some perspective by some of the following comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          You need a hobby, and possibly a woman.
                          That poor woman.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Had the Mohammad stick figure been drawn in feces semen and menstrual blood then it would have probably elicited offense (likewise if it were a stick figure of Jesus or Vishnu or Charles De Gaulle etc). As it stands I doubt even the most retarded fundie Muslim would give a damn about it.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I hesitate to put a limit on the extent of human stupidity, Loin.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X