Rand Paul, Racism and 1965 Civil Rights Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rand Paul, Racism and 1965 Civil Rights Act

So do you think Rand Paul is racist? I think it's despicable for any politician to oppose any part of the Civil Rights Act, even on such supposed "principles" as privately versus publicly-owned businesses in light of the evilness of segregation and discrimination.
    Yes, Rand Paul is racist - he's using libertarian principles as a facade in this instance
    15.00%
    No, Rand Paul is not racist - his opposition on parts of Civil Rights Act is legitimately fair
    60.00%
    I want a libertarian banana
    25.00%
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

I assume he was racist than but might not be extremely so now.

Everyone is to a degree.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm sure there are some parts of the civil rights act worthy of criticism. It isn't like it was written by Jesus. Please stop wetting your bed.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        Everyone is to a degree.

JM
        I'm anti-racist, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

I'm sure there are some parts of the civil rights act worthy of criticism. It isn't like it was written by Jesus.
          Yes, let's critique some parts of the Civil Rights Act and ignore the fact that this act has done much to combat evils such as discrimination and segregation.

Comment

The fact that it has done good things does not mean you can't criticize it.

Comment

I don't think he is racist. I agree with him that the civil rights act oversteps federal power, but... in this case it is clearly a good thing. In a perfect world we'd have a civil rights constitutional amendment. With all the ways in which the federal government oversteps its bounds this is one area where it is clearly a good thing, and by no means should it be on the agenda of any candidate for office. It is a dumb thing to mention publicly like that.

Rand is also being a bit of a dick to Stephanopoulos:
              Kentucky GOP Senate nominee Rand Paul responds to criticism of his comments on the 1964 Civil Rights Act on "Good Morning America."
              Last edited by OzzyKP; May 21, 2010, 09:34.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Obama is even more of a dick to Stephanopoulos.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                  I don't think he is racist. I agree with him that the civil rights act oversteps federal power, but... in this case it is clearly a good thing. In a perfect world we'd have a civil rights constitutional amendment. With all the ways in which the federal government oversteps its bounds this is one area where it is clearly a good thing, and by no means should it be on the agenda of any candidate for office. It is a dumb thing to mention publicly like that.

Rand is also being a bit of a dick to Stephanopoulos:
                  http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/2010_Elect...ry?id=10705651
                  In a perfect world, it wouldn't need to be legislated at all.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

No, he's just an idiot whose idea of freedom is allowing people to discriminate against african americans.

Comment

(Libertardian) Let the free market handle civil rights. Everyone is a rational actor! (/Libertardian)

Comment

Just for the record, Rand Paul was two years old when the Civil Rights Act passed.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                          In a perfect world, it wouldn't need to be legislated at all.

ACK!
                          Better yet.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I don't think he is racist, he's just an ideologue. He's very dedicated to the idea of the government never telling private business what to do but ultimately this leads to some retarded stuff like arguing that if a restaurant wants to be "whites only" then they should able to, that the government can't regulate any business for any reason even if (like BP) their corner cutting causes massive national damage and ruins the lives of hundreds of thousands of people, and that there should be no health inspections at restaurants or work places. In short, libertarianism is just retarded in real life.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                              Just for the record, Rand Paul was two years old when the Civil Rights Act passed.
                              But many Congresspersons (in both parties) today have the mentality of a two-year old anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X