No announcement yet.

Eve Online or Star Trek Online??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it SAD that I don't know what SAD is, or is it SAD that you know what SAD is?

It's a shame that with EVE's infinite possibilities none of those possibilities could be fun.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Is Eve's psychological warfare just an example of the sociopathic behaviour that's ripe in Eve?

Whenever I hear about Eve, it's about how some sociopath defrauded Corporation X. Or there's a psychopath sitting around in space randomly attacking players who've no interest in fighting (BUT IT'S PIRACY AND OMG IT'S SO FUN TO GET CAPSULED ALL OF THE TIME).

I've played a lot of MMOs, and EVE is by far the creepiest. Save for Age of Conan, it probably has the most sociopathic players around. It was genuinely disturbing. When playing Eve, you can really, really notice the smell of "mother's basement" eliminating from all of the other leet players
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        Is Eve's psychological warfare just an example of the sociopathic behaviour that's ripe in Eve?

Whenever I hear about Eve, it's about how some sociopath defrauded Corporation X. Or there's a psychopath sitting around in space randomly attacking players who've no interest in fighting (BUT IT'S PIRACY AND OMG IT'S SO FUN TO GET CAPSULED ALL OF THE TIME).

I've played a lot of MMOs, and EVE is by far the creepiest. Save for Age of Conan, it probably has the most sociopathic players around. It was genuinely disturbing. When playing Eve, you can really, really notice the smell of "mother's basement" eliminating from all of the other leet players
        There are "more professional" versions of psych warfare. Spy infiltration. Annoyance POS OPs. Market manipulation. Strategic Area Denial Ops. (40 or 50 guys in cloakie ships have litterally destroyed 3000 man alliances).

Ganking in high sec is relatively easy, so it gets done a lot and you hear a lot about it. Ripping off corps for billions is big news, so you hear about it. But unless you have been around the block a few times there is a lot of stuff that happens that is argueably more interesting, and takes coordination and strategy. You don't "hear" about that stuff as much because quite frankly, you maybe my next target and I don't necessarily want to share all the nuts and bolts of my psych warfair techniques with you. I am using you and I as examples or placeholders. Its really those in the know usually don't want to share a lot of this information with those not in the know bbecause they maybe the next target.

The bottomline is yep the game is not fun if all you do is hang out in high sec and mission or mine, with maybe an occasional jaunt into low sec for some PvP.

But there is a heck of a lot more to EVE than just that. Its a sandbox, if its played like a themepark, its not going to be fun. At least not IMHO.

Are any of the techniques I mentioned less sociopathic than ganking or corporate rip offs? Who knows maybe its more I was just part of a 30 to 40 man group with very casual playstyles (ie not mommies basement dwellers who are online 24x7) who basically destroyed a 160 man alliance. Why did we do it? Because there alliance leader was a dickhead, and because we could. Is that sociopathic? Sure, but it was also fun as hell.
        Last edited by conmcb25; December 15, 2010, 13:04.
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

That's why I don't play. If I want to play with sociopaths, I can jump into a game of CoD with 12 year old boys.

Comment

I'm STO's noobie, but tried most of the things.
            I've played EVE for 6 years and i had 3 characters with around 140kk sp each. Active.

Well... Let's see.

Actually, STO's gameplay is suits me better, they have the things i wanted in eve for a loooong time.
            Although i don't want to spend much time grinding the STF's, but i can handle it.

There is 2 most popular excuses that people have to not play eve: It's too expensive, and it's takes too long to train a good character.

Thing is, this is not a problem, really. It's not expensive if you are spending money on F2P anyway. (I am, in STO). You can play for free in both of these games. In EVE you'll be wasting a lot of time killing NPC to buy the gametime, and the same with STO - you can save A LOT of boring time by spending some cash. And about the character - it's not such a big difference between LVL 4 and LVL 5 skills as the luck and expirience do.

Anyway, i can be a living example: I've maxed out all skills that i need in eve after 3 years of the game, and for the rest 3 years i've just going for the "top 100". And i have money, it's not a problem. BUT... I HAVE NOTHING TO DO! I'M ENTERING THE GAME AND DON'T EVEN WANT TO UNDOCK. It's not the PvP game, it's just there is nothing left but PvP... Remove all the content from STO and you'll get the PvP oriented game too.

They're explainin it as the "sandbox" game where you can do the game that you want yourself.
            Okaaay..
            1. I want to design my own unique ship that will wandle all the roles i want - BUT NO, there is a balance, and if the ship is good at something it's a crap at anyting else. It's absurd.
            2. I want to land on the planet and, for a beginning, take a walk and check out the flora... Maybe build a house and bring th piano in it... BUT NO, there is only spaceships in space.
            3. Ok, i want to explore the space, to find something interesting. BUT all of the 5000+ systems are pretty much the same, all you can find it's another rocks to mine and NPC's to kill.
            4. i want to create my own business, passive income. IMPOSSIBLE, the game is designet to keep you busy. There was some poor passive income thing, but even it got nerfed.

I can continue but i think it's already enough to see that the "sandbox" it's just an excuse for the lack of content. STO is more sandboxy - there is far more things you can do, and even create you own missions. And... it's not a big issue, but in STO, EWAR(science) ships have some guns and shields...

Exactly this, DIVERSITY is why i've liked the STO more than EVE.
            EVE's pvp is fine, but for such a long time it's not nearly enough. I've really hoped that they're will add some more things to do in this game, but i've waited too long and i think there is no hope. I will pay for my accounts, though. And train them further, just for the score. As i said, it's not a problem for me.

Bad thing about STO is that they're banned some regions from using the PW services. I'm from russia and it's a major pain in the ass to register, login to the website and charge the ZEN. There is no problem to log into the game, but i'm a little scared, what if they're decided to ban us or make the loggin in more troublesome...
            Last edited by JcJet; December 21, 2012, 03:06.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
              There were a couple of really big Eve fans here - Con I think. He used to get really mad when people (ok mainly me) suggested Eve was good for TV watching during the long flights.

Haven't heard anything good about Star Trek Online.
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

DarkSpace is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game set in the time of space travel and interstellar warfare.

Comment

Eve online was fun. I just got bored of it thats all.

Comment

Working...
                  X