Eve Online or Star Trek Online??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eve Online or Star Trek Online??

Do any of you guys play either one of these games?

If so, how are you liking it? What don't you like about it?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

I played EVE some number of years ago. My biggest problem was the time it took to travel anywhere. I believe I heard they made that take less time (I used to use that time to cook) but that didn't entice me back. I was told the best aspect is the group PvP but I didn't get far enough into EVE to try it. Graphics were shiny.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I've played both

Star Trek Online is unfinished
      EVE Online is too complex
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'd say that EVE is more boring than complex.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I've been playing EVE for the past couple of weeks. My interest in it is waining however. I've learned how the skill system works and the NPC missions are dull and repetitive. The missions actually remind me quite a bit of CoH missions in their unoriginality, go to canned area X kill everything return so I can send you back to canned area X. Mining can be a relaxing pastime, when you can find an asteroid belt to mine. I spent half an hour last night warping around just to find an asteroid belt that wasn't stripped bare.
          However both PvE combat and mining are mostly automated, you can begin, walk away to pee and return a minute or so later to switch targets or in the case of mining just check to see that you're not being attacked. Most of your time will still be spent traveling.

I haven't experienced PvP yet, my latency is ridiculous though and I'm certain I wouldn't enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            I've played both

Star Trek Online is unfinished
            EVE Online is too complex
            Eh??

Star Trek Online is on the shelf at the local Best Buy in my area.

Comment

On the shelf doesn't mean finished, it just means released.
              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Yes. I got to max level within two weeks and I was NOT playing that much. The missions are all the same.

They made the game in 2 years and it shows. It was not finished.

It might be okay in a year or so.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader View Post
                  On the shelf doesn't mean finished, it just means released.
                  Ah, okay. So we wait until they add a hundred patches before buying the game.

Comment

There were a couple of really big Eve fans here - Con I think. He used to get really mad when people (ok mainly me) suggested Eve was good for TV watching during the long flights.

Haven't heard anything good about Star Trek Online.

Comment

Been playing STO. It's fun and certainly very casual. I actually like that it doesn't take months and months to cap a character. For the first time I can honestly say that I can reasonably make many high level characters to try out the 3 class officers. I like that.

The non-episode quests (patrols and sector defense missions) are very cut and paste, but I enjoy the space combat enough to be ok with it. The episodes have generally the same layout (space fight, beam down and ground battle, then beam up for the final space battle). But at least they tend to have you doing different things during those aspects of gameplay.

They take about 30-45 minutes or so to simulate the time it takes to watch an "epsisode" on tv. For the most part anyway.

I think the fact that it's in space amplifies the feeling of each mission seeming the same. After all, you can only have so many environments there. You can't plop the same quest into 12 different environments making it seem like they are different.

It does need more fleshing out, much more, but i'm enjoying it for a different setting. I like how Cryptic is handling the communication with the players via their engineering reports and release calendar.

I do hate the damn c-store. Starships are the core of the game and I don't want to have to shell out real money in a sub based game for new ship designs.
                      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Thanks for your comments, vee.

Comment

I think there is a demo for STO now although I heard it is very short, almost too short to get a feel for the game.

Oh and the people who say it is shallow and unfleshed out, well, yeah they are right to a point. Some of the episodes have engaging storylines, others meh. The epsiode related to the tv episode "city on the edge of forever" which has you travelling back in time and helping the original Kirk Enterprise is interesting and cool (except for the voice of the stone time keeper guy).

They just implemented a crafting system, sort of... It's as if Cryptic is at a stage of finally rolling out things that should have been there at launch with hopefully more to come.

Oh and the Klingon faction has very little pve content at this point, it has some but no episode content I don't think. It's more of a pvp faction. But that's where the easy levelling curve is a plus in my mind. I can make a Klingon alt without feeling like there is an insurmountable levelling wall ahead of me.

I guess I just am taking it for what it is and having fun blasting klingons with phasers while I fly around in my starship. As a hard core mmo, no it aint, but there are enough of those out there as it is.
                          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

(except for the voice of the stone time keeper guy).

That was the best part of the episode! It was the same voice from the real episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              (except for the voice of the stone time keeper guy).

That was the best part of the episode! It was the same voice from the real episode.
                              Was it? It didn't sound like it to me. It sounded like they ran up against the clock and went and grabbed an intern to do the voice over for $25..

ha

Comment

Working...
                              X