Android surpasses iPhone in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android surpasses iPhone in US

Who called this, *****es, who called this?

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Google's Android operating system edged out Apple's iPhone operating system for the No. 2 spot in the U.S. consumer smartphone market in the first quarter, research firm NPD Group reported Monday.

According to NPD, devices running Android accounted for 28 percent of the units sold to U.S. consumers in the first quarter of 2010. BlackBerry devices made by Research In Motion, which use RIM's homegrown operating system, took the top spot with 36 percent of the U.S. market. Apple's iPhone, which had been in the No. 2 spot previously, fell to third place with 21 percent of the market.

NPD's figures are based on self-reported consumer surveys and they estimate the number of devices sold to consumers. The figures do not include sales of devices to business customers through enterprise contracts.

Android is an operating system that is available on several different models of phones made by different manufacturers, such as Motorola, HTC and Samsung. Meanwhile, Apple's operating system is used only on Apple's own iPhone.

Ross Rubin, an analyst with NPD, attributed the strong growth in Android to the fact that devices using Android software are now available on all major U.S. carrier networks. Verizon Wireless, in particular, has helped fuel success for the operating system. Verizon launched a major marketing campaign for devices, such as the Motorola Droid, last year. And Verizon, the largest U.S. wireless operator, has also been including Android devices in its buy-one-get-one free smartphone promotion. T-Mobile USA also features Android phones as its flagship smartphones, and AT&T has begun selling Android phones.

"The wireless carriers in the U.S. are still the king makers in the mobile market," said Rubin. "Verizon in particular is what is making the Android so successful right now with its promotions and marketing."

Rubin said that strong sales of the Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Eris, and RIM's Blackberry Curve via these promotions have helped keep Verizon's smartphone sales on par with AT&T in the first quarter. NPD's data suggests that smartphone sales at AT&T account for nearly a third of the entire smartphone market, about 32 percent. Verizon Wireless accounted for 30 percent of smartphone sales. T-Mobile comprised 17 percent of all smartphone sales and Sprint brought in 15 percent of all smartphone sales.

There is no question that Apple's iPhone is still very popular. Last month, AT&T reported that it had activated about 900,000 iPhones for new customers during the first quarter. It also sold another 1.8 million iPhones to people who were already AT&T customers. Without the iPhone, AT&T's subscriber growth for contract customers would have been negative.
    But the NPD findings suggest that sales of the phone could be even higher in the U.S. if the device was available on other carrier networks, such as Verizon Wireless. Reports surfaced in March that the iPhone could be coming to Verizon soon. But definite plans for a Verizon iPhone have still not been announced.

"If the iPhone was available today on Verizon, Apple would certainly grow marketshare," Rubin said. "But it's harder to say what will happen in the long term. It's difficult to know what the feature-set will look like on phones in a year. But it's clear the iPhone still has enough cache today to pick up market share."
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Apple fanboy comment funtime:

this study is so false! they are comparing the entire Android-based phone division to a single phone? Its funny how there is only one phone on the market with iPhone OS, but like 20 different types of Android phones?

this is so bogus. As an iPhone owner, I feel insulted.

Yeah, right.
    Baloney.

Doesn't the title say it all... Android Phones (plural) outsell the Apple iPhone (singular)... No point in even reading the article - as I did not. Why doesn't Car and Driver say, "All GM cars outsell the Honda Accord."

An entirely different business model. With entirely different pros and cons. Because Droid is open source its apps store will never equal the iPhone's.

In other news, Firefox downloads outnumber Mac sales...

Who's more likely to answer a survey about Android cell phones? A geek who went out of his way to research and choose an Android phone or the average iPhone user? Obviously, the former.

(Note that it was a survey about 'which cell phone do you use', not 'do you use android'...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Apple baiting

Like Apple bobbing, but better.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Except it's true Asher

iPhone being on one carrier explains this all away. Let me put this in terms you can understand: A gay condom manufacturer sells magnum penis condoms in one small gay market, like Toronto. They sell 5,000,000 of them. Then a straight condom manufacturer sells small penis condoms in Canada, medium size penis condoms in India, and big penis condoms in America, and yet only sells a total of 6,000,000 of them.

This clearly is a sign that the former one has more potential, should it expand its business, so to speak

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
          Except it's true Asher .

iPhone being on one carrier explains this all away.
          That's fine, but that's Apple's ****up all the same. Doesn't stop the reality from happening.

Mac vs PC all over again.

Check your facts, Wiglaf.

Mac: One vendor, few models.
          iPhone: One vendor, few models.

PC: Many vendors, many models.
          Android: Many vendors, many models.

It's happening again. The weak "but there's only one vendor!" argument doesn't hold when it's Apple's choice to make that so.

FWIW, it's not JUST the one carrier problem. It's also the lack of device selection problem. Many users love physical keyboards, for instance. Apple doesn't provide choice -- people like choice.

Comment

Seeing as Apple has eclipsed Google in market value, I'd say the exclusivity is helping them

People are confused by too many options. I like buying one thing and knowing it's the most popular thing and few others can have it.

Comment

Seeing as Apple has eclipsed Google in market value, I'd say the exclusivity is helping them
              Bulletproof logic.

People are confused by too many options. I like buying one thing and knowing it's the most popular thing and few others can have it.
              So confused they're buying up Androids far more, and far faster than iPhones...

Comment

I don't see why Apple should be taking cues from a less valuable search engine company whose only attempt at a phone is a complete embarrassment. People are buying up more Android phones because there's more of them. Google sees less profit.

This is what talking to you feels like right now.

Comment

Fact Checker, Aisle Wiglaf please.

Comment

It's spelled isle you ******

Comment

I really cannot believe this. I make arguments and you just act like this is some supermarket and I need to fetch the cans of soup and watch the register. Let's just keep one thing straight: Nothing I said is FACT INACCURATE.

Let the record please show that.

Comment

It's spelled isle you ******
                        No, it's SPELT AISLE you mermaid.

SPELL CHECKER, ISLAY Wiglaf please.

Comment

Is this how it works in Canada? You take lessons from those who are less successful than you, and then when people say it is a bad idea, you pretend you are in a supermarket?

Comment

The supermarket is a metaphor for life, you uncultured American swine.

Comment

You're a ********.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X