X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hatchsky, The file you've got there seems to be empty
    --Higgs

Comment

I'm on a new Win 7 machine and I can't get the game to run. It gets to the launch screen (plays the intro movie fine) and crashes on launch.

I've got it in Win 95 or Win 98 compatibility, running as admin, tried setting core affinity to a single core, none of it is working.

Any ideas?

Comment

OK, the issue above was because I was using a backup cd, so copy protection was at play. Fixed now.

Now, where have all the apolyton patches and fixes gone?

Comment

It may be useful to add that Windows 7 doesn't allow launching files with parameters. This can however be done using w7 Power Tools. It did wonders for me.

Comment

To launch .csg under w7:
            1.Go here: creativelement . com / powertools / #download
            2. Download it.
            3. Edit .csg file entry with File Doctor (I believe that's what it was called). Add a 'r-click command'
            4. The command should be .../civctp.exe -|"%1"
            5. Bear in mind that the program will expire within 45 days, but the association should stay
            It worked instantly, no issues, the game wasn't even installed (I still use an installation from many years ago and a different machine)

Comment

I am trying to get ctp1 to work on my win7 32bit laptop and have no luck, set run as admin, compatibility win98, and still get CRC 8808-7BDC. I tried on my win7 64bit desktop as well get same error. I can't seem to set process affinity keeps saying access denied when I go under task manager. I tried using psexec to set it and it said civctp exited with error code -1073741819.

-Update: Looks like you have to run the 1.2 patch as admin and then actually restart. this fixed the issue.
              Last edited by bbd999; March 8, 2011, 13:13.

Comment

After I patched the game with 1.2 and 1.21 (as an administrator) I had no problem opening PBEM saves...easier than it was using XP, actually!

I'm running Win7 Pro 64-bit.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by hatschy View Post
                  I still use Vista, so I can't tell with 100% certainity whether the following works for Windows 7. I have attached a registry export file (inside a zip archive) that contains the minimum information for associating ".csg" files correctly with CtP. Logon as an administrator, extract the ".reg" file from the zip archive to some folder or to the desktop, double-click on the ".reg" file and allow the import of the contained information into the registry. Maybe you'll have to log off / log on before the association takes effect. If your intallation folder is different from "C:\Program Files\Activision\Civilization-Call To Power" then open the ".reg" file with a text editor before you do the import and correct the last line to point to the correct location (be careful to use double backslashes as path separators since the backslash is used as an escape character within that string).
                  This worked brilliantly for me. One small note: for my (and I assume other) Win7 installation the .reg file needs to be edited to change

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\csg_auto_file\shell\open\command]
                  @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Activision\\Civilization-Call To Power\\ctp_program\\ctp\\civctp.exe\" -l\"%1\""

to

@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Activision\\Civilization-Call To Power\\ctp_program\\ctp\\civctp.exe\" -l\"%1\""

Thanks very much Hatschy

Comment

In fact, to save everyone the trouble, here's my edited one:

csg_auto_file.zip

Comment

This works. You rock, people.

Comment

What, I can finally play CTP again!? This is awesome. Thanks guys.
                        --Higgs

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                          In fact, to save everyone the trouble, here's my edited one:

[ATTACH]169179[/ATTACH]
                          Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                          This worked brilliantly for me. One small note: for my (and I assume other) Win7 installation the .reg file needs to be edited to change

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Activision\\Civilization-Call To Power\\ctp_program\\ctp\\civctp.exe\" -l\"%1\""

to

@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Activision\\Civilization-Call To Power\\ctp_program\\ctp\\civctp.exe\" -l\"%1\""

Thanks very much Hatschy
                          Originally posted by hatschy View Post
                          I still use Vista, so I can't tell with 100% certainity whether the following works for Windows 7. I have attached a registry export file (inside a zip archive) that contains the minimum information for associating ".csg" files correctly with CtP. Logon as an administrator, extract the ".reg" file from the zip archive to some folder or to the desktop, double-click on the ".reg" file and allow the import of the contained information into the registry. Maybe you'll have to log off / log on before the association takes effect. If your intallation folder is different from "C:\Program Files\Activision\Civilization-Call To Power" then open the ".reg" file with a text editor before you do the import and correct the last line to point to the correct location (be careful to use double backslashes as path separators since the backslash is used as an escape character within that string).
                          I put this into our recently resurrected download database. So that more people can find this. For the entries I copied your posts, feel free to edit them, if you think they could be more precise.

-Martin
                          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Hello

First time posting on this forum.
                            You got to save me people!

I was playing on CTP until last month. I even had megamod!
                            After I unisntaled it 2 weeks ago.

I wanted to play again.
                            Installation is ok but when I triy to play it doesn't launch but after a few second I have this message:
                            "The application couldn't start properly (0xc0000005)"
                            "Click OK to close the application."

So I put wanted to patch but it says that my version doesn't need it...

I tried anything you said... nothings works.

HELP!
                            Thanks

Comment

Maybe it's not registered? Or the OS is denying it rights to change files on the disc? Damn, I've repaired CTP so many times, as my installation survived 2 machines and several OS reinstalls, but I still don't remember how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Max_Smirnov View Post
                                Maybe it's not registered? Or the OS is denying it rights to change files on the disc? Damn, I've repaired CTP so many times, as my installation survived 2 machines and several OS reinstalls, but I still don't remember how to do it.
                                I'm running on win 7
                                It was running perfect the first time I don't understand why is it bugging now!

Comment

Working...
                                X