This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destiny of Empires [Diplo Game] [Setup Thread]

Welcome to the Setup Thread for "Destiny of Empires" (name by deity!)
    A new Pitboss Diplo Game that's supposed to start somewhere in the coming weeks.
    Everybody is invited to participate!
    If you want to participate: just comment to this thread.

First we'll get a list of players, then we'll move to the discussion of the rules/settings.

Signed up so far:
    - Dubhghlas
    - Hercules
    - Pinchak
    - St Jon
    - BranksDilly
    - Toni
    - WarningU2
    - Rempedaalops
    - Black Knight 427
    - deity
    - The Priest
    - dacole
    - amarriner
    - 2metraninja
    - mzprox (uncertain)
    - Robert Plomp

------------------------------------

Below I have placed 4 information sections. ALL ARE DRAFTS/CONCEPTS! Please comment. (use the scrollbar for each section!)
    There are 4 sections:
    1. dictionary of terms: just a collection of terms/info about pitboss diplo games. Read it first if you're not familiar with the concept!

2. game settings/rules: this is an edited version of the DoC settings/rules. The rules are in line with DoC, except for some changes and rephrasing. Some rules have been removed b/c I want to try (if all agree) to not use tech trading at all.

3. Game score mechanism: I suggest a partly new mechanism. I think that DoC one worked pretty well, but was also unfair. This system is based on a system Jeroen suggested somewhere during DoC. Major advantages:
    - no losers. (just civs that got no points, not such a thing as a negative rating)
    - fair/balanced (everybody hands out the same number of points)

I also suggest to use only 2 categories: story telling (incl. diplomacy) and role playing.
    We do not take the gamescore in account: bottom civ can still win the game!

4. Conflict handling system: rephrased a bit, but the same system as for DoC.
    it's a bit more clear on ooc public conflict posts: they're not allowed and will be removed.

Last edited by Robert; August 1, 2010, 17:40.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
    When DoC has completely wrapped up, and we're all done sharing our secrets, joys, fears and disappointments, I'll start a setup thread for what apparently is going to be "The Destiny of Empires"
    In.
    I play Europa Universalis II; I dabble in everything else.

Comment

yeah And me too for DoE
      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

The Destiny of Empires
        Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
          When DoC has completely wrapped up, and we're all done sharing our secrets, joys, fears and disappointments, I'll start a setup thread for what apparently is going to be "The Destiny of Empires"
          You can count me in on that.

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
          WEll i wil lremvoe my poly login too if that makes you al lhappy,
          Please don't be silly Raz. Nobody wants to see the back of you. None of us may be able to understand you at times but that is different.
          “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
          - Anon

Comment

in for DOE

Comment

Well done on the WIN Robert, you did work hard for it. It is good to see a winner who 101% deserves it!!!

W2 thank you for the voting organization!!

PS Of course count me in for DOE

Comment

There we go!

Comment

Great!

I have almost no particular comments on the proposals; they all seem fine to me. The one comment I do have is on scoring: if how you do in the game itself is not taken into account, then what incentive is there to do well in the game? That sounds like it could be exploited by people for story purposes. But I suppose it is worth a try simply to see if people's natural pride will cause them to try to do well in game terms, even if it has no affect on "winning" the diplo game.

Bring on the game!
                  I play Europa Universalis II; I dabble in everything else.

Comment

I'm not sure I will play (I was sure that i wouldnt a few weeks ago.. DoC took too much time-but now I'm uncertain )
                    but in my opinion:

I'd prefer a dfifferent voting system:

-1 or max two categories, why do we need story and diplomacy.. let's just have an RP. it is more fair to small nations btw because big ones gets diplo points only because they have more influence on the game anyway.

-a similar voting system what is used in Ozzy's game could work better, ie: you have x points to distribute, you can give 1-3 to every civs (min1, max 3). This would ensure that the system is more fair because everyone gives the same amount of points.

-we could separate ingame winner/position from the RP category completely.-not sure about this, but maybe..

*edit: ok just saw the new system you are suggesting, quite close to my recommendation

other bits:

-noscore mod: lets start a testgame already
                    -random civs
                    -map similar to DoC
                    -maybe we should think of a vassalage system which would allow to make domination victory possible without eliminating players or give them severe restrictions

Comment

So.. how do we separate rp and story? they are the same thing for me.

I think we should have two winners in the game (or one double winner): ingame and RP. (and I1m really not saying that because.. you know ) I like Rp and I like to play competitive games.. for me both are important. I kinda agree that ingame score should not be included when it comes to diplo/story but winning the game or just play to get better shound have incentive

Comment

oh, and let's play with no huts

1, to big luck factor
                        2, favors those who can play more turns with the 8h timer.

Comment

I'm in

Comment

I like huts personally and I also think we should allow trades.

Comment

Originally posted by mzprox View Post
                              So.. how do we separate rp and story? they are the same thing for me.
                              It's the "put your money where your mouth is" category.
                              One can write awesome stories about his maniacal queen who hates everybody except herself. But in the game it's a peaceful nation with warm diplomatic relations.

That'd be a good lot of poitns for story, but zero for roleplaying.
                              Because the story doesn't match the playstyle.

Comment

Working...
                              X