Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After seeing the trailers to civ 5 i think we should consider waiting to start this up till it comes out.

Comment

Think we should start it with current BTS.
      WarningU2 Member of CIvilization Players Multiplayer League
      ---------------------------
      "A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Comment

Originally posted by WarningU2 View Post
        Think we should start it with current BTS.
        Why? Have you seen the trailers for civ 5? I say we wait for civ 5 to come out.

Comment

In part it might be determined by the computer tech requirements of Civ 5. If we wait for Civ 5, to discover that half of us don't have sufficient specs then that would be problem.
          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Of course we could always play on quick as i have suggested before, but I know that is abhorent to you guys ... or maybe you just worry your tactics might not work so well :-)

Comment

Maybe normal speed as a compromis
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Chicken!

(your not french are you?)

Comment

This game will not start for a long time if we are waiting for CIV5 ... and I second the motion for quick play
                  WarningU2 Member of CIvilization Players Multiplayer League
                  ---------------------------
                  "A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Comment

and remember civ V isn't even coming with pitboss read to play out of the box.

Comment

Not Quick please!

I think the trouble with even Normal is that in such Big Games on Big Worlds there is a real danger that a couple of players will get lucky early on and there just will be nothing the rest can do to make up the ground quickly enough to make any difference. It is made all the more difficult by the low difficulty level. Rifle against Mace in 1300AD and reaching AC in the 18th Century.

Great storys are very much harder when you have been marginalised and have no control over your own destiny. It will happen anyway but the faster the speed the lower your chance is to worm your way back into contention.
                      “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                      - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by The Priest View Post
                        Chicken!

Those are fighting words lol

Comment

quick speed makes story telling impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by The Priest View Post
                            Chicken!

Since I were not able to kick your ass when I was Persia (you were too far away), I still have this vendetta running against you! (Rome/Sparta).

Thanks for bringing fuel to this fire once again by naming me french

Comment

I'd rather go the other way if we are starting in BTS and have a final marathon fling!
                              "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

St Jon. If you are right, I would agree but I can't see the logic myself.

Why are you likely to get a quicker divergence of power, and it be harder to climb the slipperly ladder, in quick than in marathon (ok everything will happen quicker in our time - thats the point - but I mean divergence of power at say 500 BC 0 AD 1000 AD etc.)? Can you explain?

As for keeping the interest of players who have ended up less successful, I see the main problem there being the so many months the game lasts for. There is lots of energy at the beginning and if you aren't doing so well, its ok for a few months to keep going. The problem for those less fortunate is that they are expected to keep going for many, many, months which is why things get more strained, IMHO.

But I know I am not going to win an argument about what we play with normally; the suggestion was because we seem to be caught in a situation of thinking there isn't really time left before CiV gets going for a full game, hence the suggestoin of a quick one.

Comment

Working...
                                X