Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll play if it is on an Earth map (not a randomly generated "Earth-like" map) or if mxproz & Capo both play.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
      I'll play if ... mxproz & Capo both play.
      Need to make sure there are some people you can beat?

Comment

I'll play if it is on an Earth map (not a randomly generated "Earth-like" map) or if mxproz & Capo both play.
        We'll take that as a 'yes'
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• I'm in! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Been out of it for a bit, but I'm in for the game.

Comment

• Thanks amarriner!

That's 15 confirmed.
            That's a good number! Tomorrow we start to vote.

1. Dubhghlas
            2. Hercules

3. Pinchak
            4. St Jon
            5. BranksDilly
            6. Toni
            7. WarningU2

8. Rempedaalops
            9. Black Knight 427
            10. deity
            11. The Priest

12. dacole
            13. amarriner
            14. 2metraninja
            15. trev
            16. Exploit
            17. OzzyKP (if Earth map)
            18. Robert Plomp

Comment

• Originally posted by The Priest View Post
              Need to make sure there are some people you can beat?
              I just like a challenge.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• If it is Earth then it must be Gigantic and none of the New World colony nonsense.

African and American Civs must have their cut and how about creating an Aboriginal Civ to test Australia? We must have enough of the men from down under to find names for all their Cities. If not then just nick the CTP1 datafile which had Australia in it anyway.

I believe Toroidal will still work on Earth but maybe I am wrong?

Great to have you in the game Oz but has anyone spoken to Capo in the last year? Having him play, I think, is somewhat unlikely.
                “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                - Anon

Comment

• Toroidal would be silly on Earth.

And yea, with this many players we will definitely need to have civs in the the Americas.

I'm undecided about Australia though. In HOTW2 (back to ancient times, I know) deity was in the land of Oz and the game was super easy for him. No neighbors, no competitors, no one to grab land away from him. He could just peacefully build up the entire game. Then, later on, when he was running away with things, he was able to turn the entire continent into a fortress that no one could hope to touch.

Not to be condescending about this.. but it would only work if one of our poor civers had the spot.

Actually... there is a well known skill gap in our games. It really ends up defining each game we play. We never really acknowledge or try to handicap it, but it plays out the same every time. What do people think of the following proposal:

We be sure to place all the top players in Europe.
                  We place the more novice players in spots like China, Australia, South America, etc where they are more able to expand peacefully.

The top players will be far more cramped (i.e. a handicap) but... not to be racist here, but it could play out somewhat more like world history with the more successful civs being cramped in Europe and having to look overseas for foreign lands to exploit while the civs with lots of great resources and land are (face it, we know it'll happen) less developed and backwards.

So if we can get up to 16 civs:

America
                  Inca
                  Aztec/Maya
                  Native Americans

India
                  China
                  Mongolia
                  Japan/Korea

Mali
                  Zulu
                  Egypt/Carthage
                  Arabia/Babylon/Sumeria/Persia/Ottomans

England/Celts
                  France/Spain/Portugal
                  Germany/HRE
                  Russia

Have Toni, deity, The Priest, Robert and I in/near Europe. Put St Jon, trev & Hercules nearby to help hem us in. Ideally I'd like to add Rome or Greece or Vikings into the mix too and make Europe even more crowded with good players to keep each other in check. I worry most about Russia though. We'll need to make sure central Asia has some crappy land. Or perhaps we could put St Jon, trev or Herc in as Russia and keep Toni, deity, The Priest, Robert & I in the rest of Europe.

Just a thought experiment:

Toni - Germany
                  deity - Spain
                  The Priest - England
                  Robert - Rome (or Vikings)
                  Ozzy - France
                  St Jon - Ottomans
                  Hercules - Russia
                  trev - Egypt
                  Last edited by OzzyKP; August 10, 2010, 18:35.

Comment

• I'll reach out to Capo. I talk to him now and then, and have tried to get him to join other games and he said he isn't ready to come back yet. With this being the very last Civ4 diplogame, perhaps we can talk him into returning.

Comment

• The more I think about it the more I really, really like the idea of purposely clustering the top players in Europe.

In our games the top players are always jockeying for power. Much like the big European powers have jockeyed for power throughout all of history. In our games though, for us top players, it can be difficult to try and attack or hurt each other when we are on the other side of the globe. Having all of us right next to each other and cramped for space would be amazing.

Meanwhile the less skilled players would be clustered near each other and have a less stressful game. A total new player starting right next to deity is gonna be screwed. Why not cluster people by skill & continent?

I think it would not only make the game more historical & realistic, but also more enjoyable for both the top players and the rookies.

Comment

• I love it.

Comment

Just a thought experiment:

Toni - Germany
                          deity - Spain
                          The Priest - England
                          Robert - Rome (or Vikings)
                          Ozzy - France
                          St Jon - Ottomans
                          Hercules - Russia
                          trev - Egypt
                          Btw, if this happened... Hercules, you and I need to talk about Germany...

Comment

• If your going to put all the "top" players in europe then at least make it anon so that the rest of use dont know who is who.

Comment

• It'll still be anon. In any anonymous game the top players rise to the top pretty quick and anyone can narrow down toni, deity, robert, etc to 4-5 choices. The only difference is those 4-5 choices will all be next to each other.

Comment

• Btw, if this happened... Hercules, you and I need to talk about Germany...
                                I do not like your thinking Oz..

You do know guys that in Europe if you are lucky you can fit 2 cities the most. If this is the case, it would be wise to have a gig map and empty N & S america in order for us to have a chance to expand onto.

Comment

Working...
                                X