NHL Off-Season Thread 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Off-Season Thread 2010

Ruh-oh. Hemsky doesn't like it in Edmonton, either?

Hemsky thinks he's underpaid, wants to win, won't be re-signing in Edmonton, Matheson says.

By DAVID STAPLES MON, APR 19 2010

Veteran reporter bets that Hemsky won't be a long-term Oiler, but I'm still hoping. . . Let's give this another six or 12 months, see how it looks then . . .

Journal reporter Jim Matheson has been around Oilers ace Ales Hemsky, 26, since Hemsky broke into the NHL at age 19.

Now, with two years to go on his $4 million a year deal, Hemsky has been mentioned (by fans and bloggers at least) in trade talks and management hasn't exactly been bursting with superlatives in terms of his play.

But what does Hemsky think? Matheson, a Hockey Hall-of-Fame reporter, provided a few major clues in a candid live chat talk he and Dan Barnes did with fans today.

Here are some of Matheson's entries:

* "Hemsky will be going in two years when he's unrestricted free-agent. Bet on it."

* "I say they give Hemmer one more year then they will look around. They would have to trade him to a team that wants to re-sign him and keep him around to get full-value for such a young forward."

* "Hemsky only needs to be traded because he's going to be UFA and I don't believe he'll stay."

* "Players after awhile like to play on a team that wins. The Oilers aren't winning any time soon. I suspect Hemsky, if he gets to free-agency, would look for a team with a few Czech players to help him out."

* "Hemsky has long thought he's underpaid and really in today's market I guess he is at 4 mil. He could probably get $5 mil per on the open market."

* " Hemsky has to produce more points to be a real offensive weapon. Seventy points won't cut it."

* "Hemsky should be a 90-point player. He's a comfortable player who knows he can play in the league but doesn't push himself to be an elite player."

* "Hemmer is not soft. That's why he gets hurt. He goes into areas and doesn't protect himself well and gets clobbered."

* "Hemsky is a really good player but he needs a centre who's a shooter because you can't have two passers on the same line."

Staples comment: All of this is to be expected in terms of Hemsky wondering about his future in Edmonton and much of it is borne out of frustration, I suspect.

Hemsky was hurt this year, he's got to be tired of losing and he is, in fact, underpaid by NHL standards. Oilers hockey boss Kevin Lowe signed him to a favourable deal for the Oilers, a long-term deal that gave Hemsky security, but tied up an excellent hockey player on the Oilers for a long, long time.

Little wonder Hemsky wants to make sure he gets paid big time next time around.

Hemsky will be 29-years-old when his contract comes up next time in the summer of 2012. If a team signs him to a five-year deal, it will cover him until he is 33, just at the end of what should be expected to be his peak NHL years. In other words, he will be a good-to-great free agent signing next time around.

I hope he signs with the Oilers and certainly don't think it's out of the question. First of all, I saw real improvement in his play this season before he was hurt. He was moving the puck more rapidly, working harder and thinking more in the defensive end. He had cut down on turnovers. He was moving the puck before other players were able to line him up for the big hit.

Put him with the right centre, this would have been a banner year for Hemsky.

If Oilers management has soured on this player, they have soured on the wrong guy.

The Oilers are much better off with this player in the line-up, and it also seems hard to get real value for any player in a trade, what with NHL teams up against the cap and with players always just a step away from free agency.

If the Oilers start winning more, and if Hemsky gets some linemates he can play with, and if he keeps improving, I see the Oilers moving to sign him and offering good money. I can also see Hemsky deciding to stay here if all those things come about. He would be a much happier and more content camper and might well want to be part of what comes next in Oil Country.

Midnight is where the day begins.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I'm shocked.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I move this thread to have "Alberta edition" added.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The Oilers have fired the trainers, equipment guys, etc.

What the ****?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It's not uncommon for that to happen when illness and injury hit a team like the they did the Oilers this year and a few years past.

It's still unclear exactly what is happening though. I've heard that three people are no longer going to do the jobs they used to. They may be reassigned, or fired. I don't know, although a radio guy reports that one of them (senior equipment guy) is being sent to Oklahoma City to help get the farm team set up.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Washington signs Backstrom to a 10-year, $68M deal according to sources.

Comment

Kurtis Foster has had a rough go of it lately.

Lightning defenseman Foster's infant daughter dies

Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Kurtis Foster and his wife, Stephanie, are mourning the death of their infant daughter Lila.

Lila Kimberly Foster was five days old when she died May 10 at Tampa General Hospital, according to an obituary posted Wednesday on the website for the Peterborough (Ont.) Examiner newspaper. A cause of death was not given.

Mass will be held at St. Alphonsus Church in Peterborough at 12 p.m. Friday. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that donations be made to the Peterborough Regional Health Centre in Ontario, Canada.

Kutis Foster is a Carp, Ontario native who lives in Peterborough during the NHL offseason. He played for the Peterborough Petes of the Ontario Hockey League from 1997 to 2002 and married Peterborough native Stephanie Bosch on July 12, 2008. This was the couple's first child.

Last season was Foster's first with the Lightning after four years playing for the Minnesota Wild and their AHL affiliate Houston Aeros.

He played in 71 games for Tampa Bay with eight goals, 34 assists and 42 points.

Foster came back from a badly broken leg to sign with the Lightning as a free agent and post career highs in assists and points last season. He shattered his left femur when he fell into the boards during a Wild game against the San Jose Sharks in March 2008. He was out of hockey for a year before returning for the Wild's last 10 games of the 2009 season.

He is one of three finalists for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, awarded to the player who "best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey." The winner of that award will be announced at the NHL Awards show June 23.

Comment

Damn, that sucks.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

(\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Weird year. The road teams are over .500 across the playoffs so far.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yzerman takes the Lightning GM job.

After spending four years learning at the feet of pro sports' best GM, not to mention putting together the Olympic gold medalist hockey team, Tampa Bay looks to be a team on the rise.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I was REALLY hoping he'd sign in Calgary. ****, stuck with Sutter.

Comment

Ever watch a news story (that isn't funny or ironic) and pick up on the most ironic part of it that the news totally missed the boat on?

I was watching the news tonight and they were discussing Peter Pocklington pleading guilty (to perjury of fraud) in his bankruptcy proceedings. For the most part the story didn't interest me, and Global News seemed more interested in the fact that he was the former owner of the Edmonton Oilers, and the fact that he was responsible for the trading of Wayne Gretzky, but they missed the ultimate irony when they announced that his sentencing is scheduled for August 9, 2010.

See August 9th....as any true die hard Oiler fan would know,....is the day that Edmonton traded (sold ) Wayne Gretzky to the Los Angeles Kings and Bruce McNall in 1988.

It seems strangely apporpriate that his sentencing (in Los Angeles of all places) should occur on August 9th. 22 Years too late, and whatever his sentence is it won't be nearly enough, but it made me laugh.

[action=Sparrowhawk][/action]
                          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Awesome. Calgary is hosting an NHL Winter Classic outdoor game at McMahon Stadium in February 2011. Hosting Montreal.

I'm so there (if I can get tickets).

For the first time, the NHL Winter Classic will be contested in Canada and the United States, Hockey Night in Canada confirmed Thursday night.

Calgary, Pittsburgh to host NHL Winter Classics
                            Commissioner Bettman expected to unveil details at Friday news conference

For the first time, the NHL Winter Classic will be contested in Canada and the United States, Hockey Night in Canada confirmed Thursday night.

League commissioner Gary Bettman is expected to make the official announcement at a 2 p.m. ET news conference Friday in Chicago, site of Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final on Saturday (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 8 p.m. ET).

Pittsburgh's Heinz Field will play host to the New Year's Day game next January between the hometown Penguins and the Washington Capitals, while Montreal will travel to McMahon Stadium in Calgary in February to battle the Flames.

It's believed the reason for the separate dates is because the NHL's ice-making trailer can only be used at one venue.

McMahon Stadium, site of the 1988 Winter Olympic opening ceremony, also has a large crown in the field that would pose a challenge for Dan Craig and his ice-making team.

The CBC suggested the doubleheader to the NHL, with the second game to take place in Canada after the success of the Winter Classic the last two years.

On New Year's Day 2010, Boston's Marco Sturm slammed home the overtime winner after taking a perfect pass from teammate Patrice Bergeron to give the Bruins a 2-1 win against the Philadelphia Flyers in front of a sellout gathering of 38,112 at Fenway Park.

In 2009, the Detroit Red Wings scored five unanswered goals en route to a 6-4 victory before 40,818 at Chicago's Wrigley Field.

The inaugural Winter Classic in 2008 saw Buffalo host Sidney Crosby and the Penguins at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Edmonton and Montreal played in the Heritage Classic, an outdoor game held at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium in 2003.

Comment

Halak traded to St. Louis.

Habs trade Halak to Blues
                              The Canadian Press
                              Published on Thursday, Jun. 17, 2010 3:28PM EDT

Last updated on Thursday, Jun. 17, 2010 4:19PM EDT

The Montreal Canadiens made their goaltending choice on Thursday, trading playoff hero Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues for two young prospects.

The Canadiens received forwards Ian Schultz of the WHL's Calgary Hitmen and Lars Eller, who played seven games for the Blues this season but spent most of the campaign with AHL Peoria.

The trade was being widely panned by Habs fans on Twitter and other websites within minutes of its completion. Most felt the team should have got more for the goalie who was the main reason Montreal upset Washington and Pittsburgh in the first two rounds of playoffs.

Halak was the Canadiens player of the year in 2009-10, when he went 26-13-5 and was fifth among NHL goalies in save percentage at .940 and ninth in goals-against average at 2.40.

He bumped his rival Carey Price to backup duty late in the regular season and was the team's starter for a surprising run to the Eastern Conference final. That came after he led Slovakia to a fourth-place finish at the Winter Olympics, where he was outstanding in making 36 saves in a 2-1 upset of Russia.

His brilliance continued in the playoffs, where he set a team record with 53 regulation time stops in a 4-1 victory over Washington as the Canadiens came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat the first-place Capitals in the opening round.

Both Halak, 25, and Price, 22, are eligible to become restricted free agents on July 1 and it was expected that one or the other would be traded. Halak earned US$800,000 last season.

Price, who was 13-20-5 with a 2.77 average and a .912 save percentage, now has the way clear to be the team's top starter. The Anahim Lake, B.C., native was drafted fifth overall in 2005 but has struggled to find consistency at the NHL level.

It appears the Canadiens are confident his six-foot-three frame and obvious talent is the better choice for the long term in goal.

Halak, the 271st overall pick of 2003, has been strong since his first call-up from AHL Hamilton in 2007, when he took over from the injured Cristobal Huet for Montreal's final push for a playoff spot.

In 101 career NHL games, all with Montreal, he is 56-34-7 with a 2.62 goals-against average.

Schultz, 20, the younger brother of Capitals defenceman Jeff Schultz, had 24 goals and 31 assists for the Hitmen last season. The six-foot-two 185-pound winger was drafted 87th overall in 2007.

Eller, 21, had two goals in seven games for the Blues and 18 goals and 19 assists in 70 AHL games. He was drafted 13th overall in 2007.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X