MLB 2011!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    So you'd rather play the team you hvae a 4-3 record against this season (Yankees) rather than the team you have a 6-1 record against (Rays)? Ok. I'd rather face the Rays or Red Sox than the Yankees.
    While we've been better against the Rays, the Rays are also red hot right now, and we've managed to hold our own against the Yanks.

Also of note, that record against the Yanks was before the coming of the Fister.

As rah says, though, it's academic. Either we play the Yanks, or we don't.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Usually teams perfer to play the weaker team earlier in the playoffs .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• So Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th in the NL. It seems the Cy Young is a race between him and Halladay. I think Kershaw wins it this year because Halladay won it last year and he'll likely get votes siphoned off by Lee.
        Dunno.

19-6 2.35 233.2 IPs 220 SOs ERA+ 164 1.040 WHIP, 1.3 BB/9 8.5 SO/9 6.29 SO/BB
        21.5 2.28 233.1 IPs 248 SOs ERA+ 163 .977 WHIP, 3.5 BB/9 9.4 SO/9 2.68 SO/BB

Kershaw has a marginally better ERA, marginally better SOs, marginally better WHIP, 3x the walk rate, marginally better K/9 and half the K/BB.

Halladay is close to Kershaw on everything and is way better on walks.

If you look at BABIP, Kershaw is at .272 and Halladay is at .300 Halladay has pitched well, despite being unlucky, while Kershaw has benefitted from luck. Same with Cliff Lee. Lee is at .317 for BABIP, and has also been unlucky. So really, Kershaw would be 3rd on my ballot.

I think Halladay the better pitcher, take away the park advantage and the luck advantage and Halladay has pitched just a little bit better than Kershaw. He's also been more consistant having one outing giving up more than 3 runs. One. Also, the Phillies went 5-2 in his ND.

Cliff Lee, btw:

17-8 2.40 232.2 238 SO 161 ERA+ 1.027 WHIP, 1.6 BB/9 9.2 SO/9 5.67 SO/BB

Basically, Halladay is just a little bit better on everything except WHIP and SO.

Also looking down the rotation:

Phillies have:

Roy Halladay - 164 ERA+
        Cliff Lee - 161 ERA+
        Cole Hamels - 141 ERA+
        Vance Worley - 128 ERA+
        Roy Oswalt - 100 ERA+

Compare with the 1997 Braves:

Maddux - 189
        Glavine - 141
        Neagle - 140
        Smoltz - 138.

Maybe not *quite* as good as the best of the Braves.

How the heck did the Marlins beat the Braves 4-2 for the NL pennant?
        Last edited by Ben Kenobi; September 27, 2011, 16:10.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• The award is based on votes, not statistics. Kershaw winning 20+ for the abortion that is the Dodgers will likely put him over the top.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Rays win, Bo Sox survive. Cards win, Braves lose.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Philly vs. Texas
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                Usually teams perfer to play the weaker team earlier in the playoffs .
                I'm somewhat ambivalent as well. I kind of see the playoffs as a bit of a crap shoot anyhow. No one thinks the 06 Cardinals were the better team, but they won the WS anyhow. Anything can happen.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  Rays win, Bo Sox survive. Cards win, Braves lose.
                  And then it comes down to the last game of the season (well, barring 1 game playoffs) in both Wildcards! What a finish!

Tonight's starters:

Boston v. Baltimore - Lester v. Simon
                  NYY v. Tampa Bay - TBD v. Price (I'm thinking the Yanks bring up a rookie to pitch here )

Philadelphia v. Atlanta - Blanton v. Hudson
                  St. Louis v. Houston - Carpenter v. Myers
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• And then it comes down to the last game of the season (well, barring 1 game playoffs) in both Wildcards! What a finish!
                    Indeed. I enjoyed watching the Barves roll over for the Phillies and Little Roy, and watch their hopes vanish when the Cards came back. The Barves gave up a 10.5 game lead, but that's not even half as bad as what the Red Sox collapse. If the Sox lose, and I as a Jays fan, will be thrilled to see two teams I hate choke and die. Go Cards + Rays!

4 important games.

Comment

• The fact that there are meaningful games tonight is both good for baseball and a testament to the incredible choke-jobs it took to add that meaning.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Braves going to extra innings, fighting to stay alive. Cards winning, Tampa losing, and the BoSox lead by one in a rain delay.
                        Last edited by Ben Kenobi; September 28, 2011, 22:17.

Comment

• 7-6! Rays back in it!

Only down by 1 run. 4 outs left.

Comment

• An exciting day for baseball!! Not just down to the last game, but it is entirely possible there will be some one-game playoffs. And the Boston game is in a rain delay. Some teams are gonna be rather tired for the start of the playoffs...

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Rays were down 7-0!

Comment

• Lets see what happens! Two outs to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X