MLB 2011!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
    WAR isn't a flawless stat. Why should we base such an important award on one stat?
    I don't think anyone does. It's a good filter to look through, however.

That said, there are plenty of MVP voters who look at pitchers only as a last resort. It would really be best to prepare yourself for that.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
      I don't think anyone does. It's a good filter to look through, however.

That said, there are plenty of MVP voters who look at pitchers only as a last resort. It would really be best to prepare yourself for that.
      I don't have a problem with looking at WAR among other factors, and I think JV stacks up just fine in that regard. As for the MVP voters, I know their biases (which is why I posted). They are still wrong though.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

2010 AL

Evan Longoria 7.6
        Miguel Cabrera 7.2
        Josh Hamilton 7.0 MVP

2010 NL

Albert Pujols 7.1
        Ubaldo Jimenez 6.8
        Roy Halladay 6.6
        Adam Wainwright 6.2
        Adrian Gonzalez 6.0
        Joey Votto 5.9 MVP

2009 AL

Zack Greinke 9.0
        Joe Mauer 7.9 MVP

2008 NL

Albert Pujols 9.2 MVP

2008 AL

Joe Mauer 8.7
        Cliff Lee 7.3
        Kevin Youkilis 6.0
        Josh Hamilton 5.4
        Alex Rodriguez 5.4
        Ichiro Suzuki 5.4
        Ian Kinsler 5.3
        Dustin Pedroia 5.2 MVP

2008 NL

Albert Pujols 9.6 MVP

Winners and Vote Totals for the MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year, and Manager of the Year Awards

So only twice in the last three years did the player with the best WAR get MVP, and both times it was Pujols. WAR clearly isn't the end all, be all of MVP voting. Nice try.
        I'm trying to figure out what your point is?
        "

Comment

• An obvious solution would be to create a Babe Ruth award for hitting only and drop the SS. And you could still keep the MVP for best overall player.
          "

Comment

• I thought his point was stated quite succinctly at the end.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• It's not relevant....most of the voters are literally retarded.
              "

Comment

• Originally posted by EPW View Post
                An obvious solution would be to create a Babe Ruth award for hitting only and drop the SS. And you could still keep the MVP for best overall player.
                I'd be ok with that. But that award doesn't exist currently, so people shouldn't try to make the MVP a hitter only Babe Ruth award when it isn't. MVP is for best overall player. Always has been. Pitchers too.

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                I thought his point was stated quite succinctly at the end.
                Thank you.

Originally posted by EPW View Post
                It's not relevant....most of the voters are literally retarded.
                Like all the ones who refuse to give fair consideration to pitchers.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Finally something we can agree on -- that the actual voters are a bunch of drooling idiots.

Comment

Me? He trotted out the lame argument that pitchers shouldn't win MVP just because. Then he trotted out WAR, and I responded to that showing that there hasn't been a direct relationship between WAR and MVP victory. So what else did I miss?
                    Read the bolded text. What does what has happened relate to "should"?

WAR isn't a flawless stat. Why should we base such an important award on one stat?
                    It is far better than depending on the "triple crown" stats (Batting Avg, HR, RBI or Wins, ERA, K's).
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Ok, this will likely jinx all sorts of stuff, but the Red Sox have lost 5 straight and the Rays have won 5 straight, meaning the AL Wild Card lead, which looked almost unassailable for the Red Sox, is now down to 3. This is going to be an exciting month for sure.

Also in the NL, the Braves have decided to suck and now the Cardinals are within 4.5 games.

Maybe this is to make up for the fact that there are no good division races outside of Texas and LA Angels (and outside of those fans, who really cares?).
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Gooo Tampa Bay!!

Maybe knock out the Yankees while you're at it.

Comment

• I doubt they'll make up 8 games.

Comment

• Jesus.

I was NINE YEARS OLD the last time the Tigers won the division.

I can't believe they actually have a shot of catching the Yankees.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• And they are the first team in baseball to clinch their division too!!

Comment

• Um... the Phillies clinched on Thursday, IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                                X