No announcement yet.

MLB 2011!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be honest, that was the fans fault. If there wasn't such whining and moaning over the All Star Game a few years back ending in a tie, this never would have happened.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• There's not a single pro sport all-star game that I consider to be worthwhile.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I disagree with all of you. I like that it determines HF advantage in the WS. The managers are usually from teams that are in contention so there's some incentive for them to actually try to win the game instead of pretending it's little league and it's important that everyone plays. (of course incentive does not always translate to the desired outcome) If fans are so silly that they vote in those they want to see or their favorites instead of someone who actually deserves to be there, so be it. They're probably only hurting their home teams cause down the road.

Baseball is the only major US sport where the all star game is not watered down. Football (all the rule changes so no one gets hurt) Basketball (what's defense and the final score is 10,000 to 9,500) Hockey(see basketball except the final score is 100 to 95) So baseball can take advantage of this and actually make it mean something. I'll watch the end of the baseball all star game if it's close. With the exception of a few minutes of the other sports GEMS, I don't remember sitting down to watch any of them. (and not even a few minutes of FOOTBALL's)
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• 'Tis true that baseball's all star game is very watchable. Though more so prior to the evilness that is interleague play.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• The allstar game was fine before it meant something. It's so dumb that an exhibition game can help determine the WS winner.
            "

Comment

• Since something is at stake, I'll argue that it's not an exhibition game. I would bet that all the players try at least as hard, if not more than they would during a regular season game. You can't say that about football's all star game.

And I like inter league play. Without it, we'd never see the Yankees in Wrigley in our lifetime. It's just a small part of the season, and I like playing the White Sox 6 games a year. A little extra spice. And it fun watching the visiting team play the other leagues rules. Face it, 162 is a long ass season and inter league play adds a little spice.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                Without it, we'd never see the Yankees in Wrigley in our lifetime.
                Make the World Series if you want to see that

Comment

• Would you be okay with the probowl winner giving homefield advantage in the superbowl, Rah?

And of course the all-star game is an exhibition. It can end in a tie for crying out loud. And the managers really dont play to win, even now. If they did they'd leave the best pitchers and hitters in the whole time.
                  "

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                    Winning league gets home advantage in WS, duh.
                    Duh? Is that included in any answer you give to someone asking for info? I'm not a big baseball fan. Thanks for the info.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• ...the managers really dont play to win, even now. If they did they'd leave the best pitchers and hitters in the whole time.
                      This is a fair point. The starting fielders are usually pulled early, and even the pitchers rarely go their allotted 3 innings. And there's rarely any offense.

I just find the game *not* compelling. Maybe that's also partly because, being a Chicago fan, it's rarely relevant who gets to host an extra WS game.
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        Duh? Is that included in any answer you give to someone asking for info? I'm not a big baseball fan. Thanks for the info.
                        Don't you at least play fantasy baseball? You post about Texas teams. This rule has been belabored every summer without fail; I really couldn't imagine you being unaware of it. Sorry to condescend.

Comment

• I didn't know. From asking around tonight, I learned it's been that way a relatively short amount of time. What reason have I really had to be interested in baseball?
                          Texas is football country and the Rangers haven't won much until last year. I know I don't like the Yankees and that's about it.
                          In fantasy baseball, I assemble a team based on a preconceived plan. Last year was pitching. This year was hitting. I don't know a thing about most of the players that I draft. If I've heard and remember their name, that's a ringing endorsement.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Texas is a strange place

Comment

• Originally posted by EPW View Post
                              Would you be okay with the probowl winner giving homefield advantage in the superbowl, Rah?

And of course the all-star game is an exhibition. It can end in a tie for crying out loud. And the managers really dont play to win, even now. If they did they'd leave the best pitchers and hitters in the whole time.
                              I've already stated that the pro bowl is the biggest joke out of all of them so of course not. Besides the point that a committee decides where the Super Bowl is played, which I don't like either.
                              Also the baseball all star game can't end in a tie since they changed it to determine home field advantage. Since it now means something, the managers have all been quotes as saying they're trying to win. I guarantee you the players are trying to win.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I'm with rah, I like that the all star game counts now.

I'm ok with interleague play too.

And to complete the baseball fan heresy trifecta, I also like the DH.
                                Last edited by OzzyKP; July 10, 2011, 08:59. Reason: Oops! I meant DH!
                                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X